Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen some info on YouTube about a guy in Britton, or the area, who has recently advised that Tesla, maybe also E.U., has quietly allowed non-Tesla cars to charge on the Tesla SC system. I don't recall if Tesla has added or changed out the connector, or if the guy purchased and adaptor, that the idea is a great idea.

So far my research for the Northwest U.S., seems to show that perhaps level 2 Tesla charges may allow non-esla cars to charge, but I am more wondering if there is, indeed, new info on non-Tesla vehicles using level three, Tesla S.C.'ers? Or any other method to viably quick charge via the Tesla system?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried looking for an adapter to work with the Tesla SC stations but have not been able to find one. All the adapters I found will not work at SC.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,385 Posts
Teslas in Europe have CCS Type 2 charging ports. Teslas in the US only have the proprietary Tesla charging port. In addition, North America uses CCS Type 1 charging ports, so the European version is not compatible with NA cars. There is an adapter that can be purchased to charge a NA Tesla using a CCS station, but the adapter is $1000(!). But charging anything but a Tesla at a NA Supercharger station isn't possible unless Tesla adds some CCS Type 1 connections. I believe the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts