Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
I am thinking that the range will get worse from our heat. I was told to not run my heater, ac, and seat warmers to increase my charge capacity.
Depends on what you are calling "heat". EV batteries like it in the 70-90F range. Running the heater, et all, has no impact on the charge capacity of the battery, so don't look at it in that way. Someone told you some incorrect information. Range and capacity are two completely different factors. Capacity is measured in kWh, while range is in miles. A certain number of kWh will translate into a number of miles that can be driven. But unless you have the battery set in the car's settings to charge to less than 100%, you are charging to full capacity every time.

Yes, running the heater will drop your range at least 25%, depending on the outdoor temperature. If you have the cold weather package, which adds a heat pump, that range drop might be 20% or less. Running A/C might be 10-15% range drop, at most. I never really noticed any loss of range in my Niro PHEV or my Bolt from A/C use. Seat and steering wheel heaters use very little power, and depending on your personal body functionality might provide all the warmth you need on many cooler days. Assuming they can provide all the heat you need, and it's not really too cold outside, I would rate them at maybe 10% range loss and the outside. Probably closer to 5%. Also, if you're traveling for some time and not getting into and out of the car (and therefore not opening the door often), once you've used the heater to warm the car's interior it takes very little power to maintain that warmth. On my Bolt, where I could see the amount of power coming from the battery, the heater would start out using 7+kW of power. But once the car interior warmed it would drop to 2-3kW, hardly any more power than the A/C uses. So if you can pre-warm the car while it's still plugged in (therefore using house power to heat the car, not the battery), there will be vert little range loss from using the heater.

Your battery is around 64kWh. Assuming you are driving at a consumption of 4 miles/kWh, that should translate into 256 miles. 4 miles/kWh is easily doable, unless you're always driving at freeway speeds and/or have a lot of hills (or really have a lead foot). But remember, you never actually drive the car to zero battery, so real world you're maybe going to get about 230 miles. Increase your driving efficiency, and you range increases for the same amount of battery capacity.

As we've explained, your range with that given amount of power (kWh) will vary based on numerous factors. Cold weather is the largest impact, not only because of heater use but cold also reducing the battery's efficiency. The car also uses some battery power to warm a cold battery, so that too impacts the total range. The next major issue with range is your most recent usage. If your last drive was at freeway speeds over a mountain pass, the computer is going to base your expected range on you continuing to use that same level of power. If instead you are only moving slowly around town, with little to no changes in elevation, you might even see your estimated range increase for a while. I've seen an extreme case of that when I had my diesel Passat. I could fill the tank and show about 600 miles of range. I then get on the freeway and cruise along at 65 MPH in steady traffic and flat ground, and in 30 minutes my estimated range has climbed to 750 miles. This is all because the computer has recalculated how far it thinks I can drive based on the latest consumption figures.

What is your car reporting for consumption? Somewhere on a screen there will be a miles/kWh number, and that will provide a good idea on your power usage. If it's less than 4 miles/kWh, my guess is you are driving at higher speeds, experiencing a lot of elevation changes, or perhaps both. I live on a big hill. I could drive somewhere and be displaying 4.5 miles/kWh before climbing back up the hill, but that short climb would drop my average down to 3.5, and maybe lower, all depending on the conditions at the time. EVs are going to have a much wider variation in power consumption compared to an ICE, but it often swings to the favor of the EV, again all depending on the recent driving conditions.

You seen what J1772X2 said: “I'd look at reported miles/kwh to see if anything is funky. ”

And doro6529: “What's your vehicle trip avg miles per kWh I'm curious? Can it be it stays under three?”

Dan asks “What is your car reporting for consumption? ”

If you’re in Redding CA, today it may be 90F; nice temperature for a test. Reset your trip screen. Drive 30mph on flat land with no AC. Maybe crack some windows. After (maybe) 5 miles see if you’re getting near 5.0m/kwh. If you’re getting under 3m/kwh, you have other issues. We can debug from there.

It seems like the EV market is not being realistic.
EV appears to mimic the ICE. EV or ICE will drop 20% efficiency if you’re running the AC a lot in stop and go traffic. Or on the highway, EV or ICE will drop 10% efficiency when you put on the AC. Even in the winter my ICE Prius will drop from 50mpg to 35mpg in 0F weather because I’m using the heater. And there’s other variables like denser air, and winter gas is less efficient. Likewise my EV will drop 30%.

The EV stands out because you start with 250 miles, while a Prius starts out with 500 miles. Losing 20% is noticeable in an EV but not as critical in an ICE. We might not be having these conversations when EVs start getting 500 miles range (affordably).

-Barry
Warning: EVs are addictive, quiet and smooth

Kevin
You have not, as far as I can see, replied to any questions about your driving conditions, speed etc.
WE all call the readout on the dash the GOM
Guess o meter
Guess being the operative word
If you want relevant information or advice you need to give information

I can't tell you for sure if your Niro is operating as expected, with respect to the GOM reading.

As noted, your driving habits could have a lot to do with with the GOM says, in addition to outside temp. and use of climate controls. My GOM ranges go from low 200s to around 270 in the Northeast US. The actual low range (alas, as expected) is even lower in winter due to cold, heat, and highway driving.

Still really happy with my '22 EV EX. Typical driving mode is ECO with regen set at level 1 (or Adaptive Cruise Control turned on).

I sometimes become a little envious of folks who say they're getting over 300 miles on an charge. But since the car is nominally rated at 239, and the loss of efficiency in the cold was expected, I have decided to be pleased with what I've got, and would do this all over again, given the choice.

Driving habits vary (they say that the computer does take this into account). Efficiency/quality of traction motors/batteries varies. 271 sounds OK to me. The '23 also seems to be rated at an estimated 253 miles, up from my 239.

And mine also has 31k miles on it, which probably means a small decrease in capacity.

At ~70 degrees
65 mph about 3.9 miles per kwh
40 mph about 5.0 miles per kwh
30 mph about 6.0 m per kwh

complaining about your range without very specific notes about the temperature and driving speed is silly

9000 miles or so, average 3.8 miles per kwh, new england, temps 0 to 95 degrees F most 'miles' put on at highway speeds

Odd, I have a 2023 Niro EV and my last full charge off 120 volts at 16 amps was 271. Average temps in Portland, OR have been between 45ºF to 85ºF lately.

View attachment 8797
Was at 10% when I pulled into the garage. Charged overnight to 100%. When I turned it on and backed out, I was at 273 range. So your 271 seems consistent.

I was watching the "after charge" trip meter screen and comparing the distance traveled and the 273 range, and they seemed to add up correctly.

What effect does Texas temps have on range? (105F while out, 85-90F in garage). Mostly short trips 35-50mph.
Far less impact than colder temps. Running the A/C will of course take some power, but my experience is no more than maybe 10% of its range. Shorter trips at slower speeds usually means more range than the EPA specs. You weren't specific about what you call "short" trips. If you are talking 30 miles or less, the PHEV would likely let you remain in EV mode the vast majority of the time, and still provide that range cushion of the gas engine if you need to travel longer distances. However, the PHEV will only charge at 16 amps max, so if you have a number of short trips throughout the day, you might not have enough time between trips to get your full EV range back.

The Niro EV has a heat pump option, so it would be a bit more efficient for HVAC functions, particularly if the temps drop and you need heat. The PHEV has an electric heater, but would zap about 30-35% of your expected range. But the EV has about 250 miles of range, so recharging mid-day would likely never be necessary. At the speeds you're talking about, the EV would likely go 300 miles or more on a fully charged battery.

Since you're talking Texas, there might be times you need to travel long distances. While the EV has DC fast charging (the PHEV does not), it's not that "fast". It will max out around 85kW, with that level of power only sustained within a fairly narrow state of charge on your battery. The DC chargers taper drastically above 80% charge, which is why you usually hear about EVs not being charged above that level. The truly fast charging EVs are the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV 6, all models of Tesla, and even the VW ID.4 can reach 180kW. Make sure you're looking at your potential use honestly. If DC charging isn't something you expect to do often, the Niro EV is a great choice. If you do think you'll be pushing the EV's range on a regular basis, then either a faster charging EV or a PHEV with great range (such as the Niro PHEV, which can travel more than 500 miles on a full battery and tank of gas) might be a better fit for you. And of course, home charging is mandatory for the most cost savings over a gas vehicle.

Reactions: Tcat
"Short" trips are 5-10 miles per day. We're retired and put about 4-5k miles per year (total of 2 cars). "Long" trip would be 200 miles to Houston once or twice a year. Sounding like PHEV might be best option. Probably never use gas except a couple times a year. Just hate to buy an engine that's not used. Might wait another year, more EVs and lower costs seem to be the direction things are going.

While the PHEV is certainly a better price option, the EV appears to easily meet your needs. You could likely go a couple of weeks between charging, although you might be more like me and always want it filled up every night, just in case. Even with only charging to 80% the majority of the time will be plenty for you, and just use 100% charging when you take that long trip. Your battery will last a long time and you aren't carrying around an engine and fuel that is seldom if ever used.

My only maintenance costs for my PHEV were three oil changes in the 2+ years I had it, but of course the EV doesn't even have those. All you have to watch are the same sort of fluid levels you have with an engine, and tires don't last quite as long since the car's a bit heavier than a non-EV.

By the way, the EV will be more fun to drive, as all that instant power is really neat, and you're not burning gas to use it... :LOL:

One thing you need to know: A/C and Heating will affect your mileage potential, as I found out on a trip I took. A/C may cause a drop of 39-64 miles on the odometer, as I found out. This was a big surprise to me. No longer can I depend on how long a "fill up" will last. I have a Niro EV.

A/C may cause a drop of 39-64 miles on the odometer, as I found out.
That's rather surprising, since the Niro EV uses a heat pump (or is that only the top trim levels?). My Bolt didn't take that kind of hit for A/C use (maybe 20 miles at most, and it didn't have a heat pump), and it didn't seem to impact my Niro PHEV at all. In fact the best distance I ever got with my Niro was 36 miles with the A/C running, compared to the EPA rating of 24 miles with HVAC on. It wasn't a super warm day, but it was providing cooling.

I'm looking at EV or PHEV. What effect does Texas temps have on range? (105F while out, 85-90F in garage). Mostly short trips 35-50mph.
I’m in Austin TX. Drive 30 mi one way to with @ 60+mph 3 days a week. Range in summer about the same as spring fall. There is a drop off when temp is low <60• F

One thing you need to know: A/C and Heating will affect your mileage potential, as I found out on a trip I took. A/C may cause a drop of 39-64 miles on the odometer, as I found out. This was a big surprise to me. No longer can I depend on how long a "fill up" will last. I have a Niro EV.
When I switch on the AC/Heat in my '23 Niro EV the mileage estimate only drops by 10 miles, how accurate that is? No idea since I really never make long trips.

When I switch on the AC/Heat in my '23 Niro EV the mileage estimate only drops by 10 miles, how accurate that is? No idea since I really never make long trips.
That's probably underestimated. If you have the heat pump in your EV (part of the cold weather package), you will lose about 20% of your range. If you don't have the heat pump the range loss would be closer to 30%. Just remember the GOM is just an estimate based on your past driving behavior. If you were driving particularly efficiently just before you parked, turning the heat on won't show a big a drop compared to say driving up a long hill before parking.

"Short" trips are 5-10 miles per day. We're retired and put about 4-5k miles per year (total of 2 cars). "Long" trip would be 200 miles to Houston once or twice a year. Sounding like PHEV might be best option. Probably never use gas except a couple times a year. Just hate to buy an engine that's not used. Might wait another year, more EVs and lower costs seem to be the direction things are going.
I make the 200 mi trip to Houston (Woodlands) several times A year in my 2019 Niro EV EX. There are three DC chargers in that area Volta, EVGO, and ChargePoint (at the Mercedes dealership). Usually have no trouble “filling up” at one of those. I think some Tesla supercharger sites have added compatible DC charging in the Houston area (although not near the Woodlands). Worst case I can always plug into my daughters drier outlet for over night 240 V ac charging.

I make the 200 mi trip to Houston (Woodlands) several times A year in my 2019 Niro EV EX. There are three DC chargers in that area Volta, EVGO, and ChargePoint (at the Mercedes dealership). Usually have no trouble “filling up” at one of those. I think some Tesla supercharger sites have added compatible DC charging in the Houston area (although not near the Woodlands). Worst case I can always plug into my daughters drier outlet for over night 240 V ac charging.
The Volta has been out of service for months. I think volta is in bankruptcy. There is a new Electrify America at the Walmart on Sawdust road with a couple of CCS charges.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts