Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to post that my 2019 Kia Niro LX Hybrid is in the shop getting this clutch replacement currently. Has been there for a week today, and the clutch is on back order, so seems to me this may be a recurring/common issue. Symptoms were a worsening clunk/jerk/ chugg-chugg-chugg-clunk sound when decelerating around 30mph or so. Here is info from NHTSA site and link:
December 23, 2020 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: TSB_TRA092
Components: POWER TRAIN, EQUIPMENT

NHTSA ID Number: 10185035
Manufacturer Communication Number: TSB_TRA092
Summary
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: 6-SPEED DOUBLE CLUTCH OR DCT REPLACEMENT - This bulletin provides the procedure to replace the Double Clutch set or Double Clutch Transmission (DCT) assembly on some 2018-2019MY Niro (DE HEV, DE PHEV) vehicles, equipped with the 6-Speed DCT, which may exhibit an abnormal âÂÂGrrrr and/or grindingâ noise when down shifting from 4th to 3rd gear.
6 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKEMODELYEAR
KIANIRO2018-2019
KIANIRO EV2018-2019
KIANIRO PLUG-IN HYBRID2018-2019
1 Associated Document

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for posting this information about the TSB . I ended up downloading the NHTSA Safer Car app to my cell phone to receive alerts about recalls for my vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting that it doesn't affect the 17s or the 20+. I wonder what they changed for a short while to cause it. Fortunatley most of those owners will still be under warranty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
my 2019 is so far so good and still smooth as silk. our 2012 Veloster with same DCT was trouble-free when we traded in for another car at 128k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm relieved! They finally are acknowledging this problem! I've been dealing with it for over a year.
Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first Niro had this issue. It didn't cause any problems with drivability, but it was a little disconcerting.

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
But this is not for the "bang" and "boum" when accelerating for the PHEV 2019 assembly from augoust to October of 2019

1 - 10 of 10 Posts