Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya! I bought my 2018 Kia Niro Hybrid out of state (where they only use a single license plate at the back). I now have my new (home state) license plates and am wondering how to attach the front plate.
I do see small round grooves (guidemarks for drilling?) in the front below the grille. Just wanted to confirm if I can go ahead and use a drill to make holes in there (and if there are backing threaded bolts behind those grooves). If so, can I just try using a screw to make holes?
Also any idea what size screws I need to fit the license plate? My (out-of-state) dealer had put screws at the back which I just reused. Need a couple for the front.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Those are guide points indeed. Two for direct plate mount, and two for a plate frame/holder. Look carefully in your glove box. There should (may) be two screws in a small plastic bag. They look similar to wood screws but a guide hole probably makes life easier. I'm told that sometimes the screws might be under the rear load floor. It is also possible these are added at the port and they don't waste ten cents on cars headed to rear only plate states.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I live in a state where a front plate is required, too. I ignore it. A ticket for that is $25 in my state, and I probably save more than that annually from the aerodynamic and radiator-cooling advantages of not having it. That said, I'm not recommending you break the law ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are guide points indeed. Two for direct plate mount, and two for a plate frame/holder. Look carefully in your glove box. There should (may) be two screws in a small plastic bag. They look similar to wood screws but a guide hole probably makes life easier. I'm told that sometimes the screws might be under the rear load floor. It is also possible these are added at the port and they don't waste ten cents on cars headed to rear only plate states.
Thanks! I found a plastic bag with 2 screws in the glove box.
I was a little unsure about drilling but I guess that's the way to go. Got to find my metal drill bits.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Yup, an electric screwdriver might mean you don't need a pilot hole. Seems pretty soft plastic.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
If you live in California ... (not sure if it is legal in other states)

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Somewhat expensive though ... $50
Well, no more than a vanity plate and regular plates do look bad tacked onto the front of the Niro. If they made it for Ohio, I'd do it! Legal or not. I ran without a front plate for quite a few months before I got paranoid.

·
Registered
390 Posts
That's pretty darn cool (and I live in California). But then I'd lose the front frame as a "last minute parking guide" in the work garage. ;)
For those looking for "a last minute (or last second) parking guide" -- or if you like to play bumper cars with the car in front of you went parallel parking in a tight spot - I suggest this nifty heavy duty rubber frame.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3G4XCH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just put one on my Outback. Trying to decide if it would look to "chunky" on my Niro.

Reactions: jgregv

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw one like this at Auto Zone, plus one even thicker at 1.5", and had the same question to myself - "too chunky?". When I get my real plates, I'll give it a try, see what I think, return it if I don't like.
Meanwhile I'm parking in the spots that don't have a wall right in front of them (no concrete bumpers in our structure).

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
July 1, 2020 Ohio will no longer require a front license plate. Can't wait! Someone reversed into my bare plate at a stop sign (despite a honk) and bent it. Looks even stupider now on the Niro.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts