Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Kia Niro has been launched in Korea and it will be offered with 3 different trim levels with prices ranging from 24,330,000 million won all the way up to 28,450,000 million won depending on the trim and additional features.

We can roughly convert these prices to around $21,161-$24,744 in USD and this doesn’t include transportation fees. Most likely the prices in Korea are going to be a bit lower than NA’s since the Niro will be made in Korea, Kia’s home base, at the Hwasung plant.

For the base price of 24.33 million won is the Niro 1.6 GDI HEV Luxury trim, followed by Prestige at 26.39 million won and the Noblesse trim at 28.45 million won.

The Korean version of the Niro will come with 6 different paint options and if you decide to go for the Snow White Pearl paint, that’ll add an additional 70,000 won to the price tag. A Kia Niro with all the bells and whistles will set you back 32,930,000 won which is about $28647 with the current conversion rates.

What do you think of these prices?

·
Registered
198 Posts
$28,647 for everything sounds reasonable and I hope that Kia keeps the prices in line with the Korean one because that's pretty competitive for a hybrid SUV. I assume the Noblesse trim comes with things like heated seats an rear view camera. I tried looking for a list of included features on the Korean site but I can't make heads or tails of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
$28,647 for everything sounds reasonable and I hope that Kia keeps the prices in line with the Korean one because that's pretty competitive for a hybrid SUV. I assume the Noblesse trim comes with things like heated seats an rear view camera. I tried looking for a list of included features on the Korean site but I can't make heads or tails of it.
Pricing should remain competitive since that has (as far as I seen) been one angle they took when trying to dominate a segment. What we might not get is the same value since often home market cars tend to be better spec'd or get some special stuff.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Korea does make up a large portion of Kia's profits via car sales but NA is catching up so I assume NA will be seeing a lot of those special features. Or at least I hope so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a reasonable price for an SUV hybrid. I would buy it at that price. The real concern is NA going to match that rate to the korean pricing? Is NA going to mark up the price here?

·
Registered
198 Posts
NA will definitely see a price increase because of the transportation fees and any other taxes I'm not aware of. Would be great if they can keep it around 25-30k in NA. If it's outside of my budget, I'll just wait a year or so I can negotiate more with the dealership or when it's sale season. What price is everyone hoping for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm very excited about the Niro, but I find the quoted prices (USD equivalents) to be higher than I expected.

I think I feel that way because the Niro is a "crossover", but not in any meaningful way a crossover of an SUV. It is a sensible subcompact econobox 5-door hatchback, similar to my Suzuki Aerio SX (which has been very good to me since I bought it in 2002), or perhaps to the Honda Fit ... maybe even the Kia Soul. With the pricier hybrid technology added.

It shouldn't be discussed as an SUV, IMO, based on what I've read about it. Seating position, while higher than a sports car or even a typical sedan, is nowhere near that of an SUV. Nor is spaciousness in any dimension comparable, despite that magic of a car that seems larger on the inside than on the outside, as these econobox hatches usually do. The teeny little tires that are mismatched to the potholed city streets where econoboxes are usually driven (replace frequently due to sidewall bulges, even though small tires are somewhat harder to find and a bit overpriced) are not what you'd find on an SUV. Et cetera.

·
Registered
289 Posts
As long as the price is in market and competes properly then it will be good enough, as it typically is with Kia, it's one primary angle they take that appeals to the budget buyer, at least at an entry-level.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Depending on where you live, you may be able to get some kind of incentive for buying a green car like the Niro. Unfortunately, the price of cleaner cars are generally higher than their normal gas counterpart but it's worth it if you think it is. What price bracket are you hoping to see for the Niro?

As for calling it an SUV, it could be just a habit even though the Niro is actually a crossover.

·
Registered
289 Posts
One thing to note is to check with all levels of government since I know in the states it works like that, you'll have a Federal credit and some states have a credit they offer, in some cases amounting to about $10k back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So, the U.S. prices could be far from what was directly converted. autoexpress speculates the price to be around £22,000 and that's over $30k in USD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I assume you won't be getting as large of an incentive compared to full electric vehicles and I doubt you'll be getting anywhere near 10k. 30k USD seems a bit too expensive to me so I'm hoping that won't be the actual price.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree that you won't be getting anywhere near $10k as well. But even possibly $4-$5k isn't that bad. Something is better than anything and even at 30k I don't think it's that bad

·
Registered
289 Posts
Eventually there won't be any credits, at this point you have to take what you can get.

If anything going forward you might have to pay for having a gas guzzler. So it's either you buy an EV or keep a gas guzzler and pay a tax.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Eventually.. But I think it'll take quite some time for that to happen. That being said, Germany said they want to be full electric and ban the other vehicles by 2030 or something along those lines. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out down there

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's pretty affordable and depending on where you live, you may be able to get gov't incentives for hybrid vehicles. I may be able to get around $3,000 from gov't for a hybrid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts