Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know what the max engine RPM for the Niro is?
The specification sheet lists it as
Max. power, bhp at rpm 104 / 5,700
Max. torque, Nm at rpm 147 / 4,000

but I can't seem to go above 5000 rpm in sports mode.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As the Niro is designated as an economy car, I doubt it goes much past the 5000 you've attempted. Might be able to get a workaround with a tune...but don't see the point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know what the max engine RPM for the Niro is?
The specification sheet lists it as
Max. power, bhp at rpm 104 / 5,700
Max. torque, Nm at rpm 147 / 4,000

but I can't seem to go above 5000 rpm in sports mode.
I had the same issue with a 2009 Hyundai Sonata V6. It was rated 249 horsepower at 6,000 with 6,500 rpm Redline on the Tach. That thing wouldn't rev beyond 5,500 rpm. Even in manual shift mode, it would still upshift at 5,500. Not sure why they even bother rating the engine if they won't allow it to achieve the specs under real world driving conditions.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ah, the curse of the computer controlled throttle and transmission. The one that amazes me is that, even with full throttle if you touch the brakes, the engine goes to idle. Most cars, I suspect, are that way since the Toyota debacle.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you are trying to drive our econobox with a 10 second zero to sixty time like a race car, putting it in Sport means the engine may not return so quickly to idle but stay engaged. Almost doesn't matter as fast as the 240 or 360 V battery can spin up the engine when you ask for more power.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you are trying to drive our econobox with a 10 second zero to sixty time like a race car...

A few people on this forum actually seem to be :D

In the 8,500 miles I've driven my Niro, I think I've redlined it two times. It's not a fast car. No point in trying to squeeze the juice out of a turnip. We bought these Niros because they have great fuel economy (and other reasons, none of which include "fast")

·
Registered
612 Posts
A few people on this forum actually seem to be :D

In the 8,500 miles I've driven my Niro, I think I've redlined it two times. It's not a fast car. No point in trying to squeeze the juice out of a turnip. We bought these Niros because they have great fuel economy (and other reasons, none of which include "fast")
Truth. There have been a few times when I've really noticed that the Niro is shall we say, challenged, in the acceleration department. That's even in comparison to my 2001 VW Golf TDI with a whopping 90HP. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and I'm not disappointed in the performance, but there are times when the lack of giddyup is noticeable. I wouldn't trade the efficiency for more pep though, as you said, none of my reasons for buying the car included "sportiness" :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Your 2001 VW with 90 HP probably has more torque than many if not most 200 HP engines. So it feels faster, and probably accelerates faster, at least in most acceleration events up to highway speeds. Then HP becomes more important.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your 2001 VW with 90 HP probably has more torque than many if not most 200 HP engines. So it feels faster, and probably accelerates faster, at least in most acceleration events up to highway speeds. Then HP becomes more important.
Oh, no doubt the torque response make it feel quicker than a lot of cars. Plus the '01 Golf weighs ~2800lbs, whereas the Niro is ~3100lbs.

Interestingly for this comparison though, the ALH TDI in my '01 is rated at 90hp/155lbft while the Niro (PHEV) is rated at 139hp/195lbft combined. So the Niro has more hp and torque than the TDI but the VW definitely feels quicker.

As I said, this is not a criticism of the Niro. It's nearly perfect for what it does and I've been very happy with it so far. It's just hard not to compare the behavior of two very efficient vehicles that go about their business very differently. The TDI relies on raw thermal efficiency while the Niro has several parallel systems working to extract every possible watt of energy. It's pretty cool to see how hard it is to beat old tech.

Of course, there's no comparison when it comes to emissions, which makes the Niro even more impressive in comparison to the TDI.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well, diesels have more energy per gallon so the playing field is already skewed. Then the nature of a very high compression low rpm engine is very efficient, amazingly so at idle.

One unfortunate trait that the Niro shares with diesels is higher NOx emissions than regular ICE cars. Side effect of direct injection.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Niro feels like a rocket ship compared to many vehicles that I have owned!! The slowest and scariest car was a ‘96 Geo Metro with the 1.0L 3 cylinder. The exhaust valve in the number 3 cylinder was VERY badly burned so the car only had 35 horsepower to the wheels.

Other notable mentions in the slow car category that I have owned are the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage, a 2005 Dodge Neon with 700 extra pounds due to a large stereo, a 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage, 2002 Hyundai Accent, and a 1994 Ford F-150 with a straight 6 and 2.73 rear gears.

So I am VERY used to slow vehicles. When you put the Niro in Sport mode, it really wakes up the programming and makes it very easy to get up to speed when getting on to the local interstate where the speed limit is 75.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I think I have you beat in the slow car department: 66 VW, 77 Datsun B210 plus (EPA highway 50 mpg), and a 1989 Honda CRX HF (also rated 50 mpg highway). I didn't drive any of them slow (way faster than I drive now), just timed my passes. Yup the Niro is pretty fast in comparison, and probably gets better mpg than the other three (the bug for sure). Seems to be the same power as my PT Cruiser manual was, can't tell much difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts