Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just ordered mine
You are going to love it.

Nice Video mate, good thing you found out of this product in my FB group! it's now travelling all across the world! (y)
Thank you very much for sharing the info in your FB group. The minute I saw it I knew I wanted to try and review it. Eldar is a really nice guy and deserves the orders. :)

Reactions: Dovidan and lafe005

·
Registered
43 Posts
Am I the only person in the world that has never used a rear window wiper? Not on any vehicle I have ever owned in 45 years of driving.
I don't use mine either. Since I wash my Niro just about weekly, I don't have much concern about the rear window getting too dirty. During winter I clear the windows before I get inside, so again I don't need to use it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cool idea, although version 1 looked much better than version 2 (which I would not install on my car). The mismatched color and the ugly logo... no thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are the bristles soft? The only thing I worry about is micro abrasions made by the brush if there is no lubricant which can happen as soon as the washer mode is initiated the wiper starts before the fluid starts to flow over the window. That is my only concern is that over time it could lightly scratch the lens over time but if they are soft, this seems like a great must have add on for this vehicle!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EV EX
7 Posts
Cool idea, although version 1 looked much better than version 2 (which I would not install on my car). The mismatched color and the ugly logo... no thanks.
Agree on both points. On their site, though, the product now explicitly says "unbranded". I'm going to try and order though their e-commerce servers appear to be having problems.

Edit: The order went through. If the order number is a count of the items sold, I purchased the 1404th one. Great!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
36 Posts
My ordered shipped July 24 and i ordered July 17. My order #1142

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
it looks like a great idea but for close to $60 cdn shipped, I think I might look into 3d printing my own at the local library, or a bit of plastic, a toothbrush head and some epoxy and problem fixed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's a cleverly applied idea but It's also a very expensive toothbrush. It's €34, that's Euros €5 of which are shipping. What you will pay will vary with the exchange rate at the time of purchase, $41 American more or less, $54 in hockey country.
Like I said a very expensive brush. Also my concern is not so much the brushing of the lens but the paint surrounding the lens that it may come in contact with as it makes it's round trip. I use the rear wiper occasionally, when I feel it's important. I never turn it on and leave it on, I think that's a mistake. To much grit gets deposited on the rear window to use it constantly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't use mine either. Since I wash my Niro just about weekly, I don't have much concern about the rear window getting too dirty. During winter I clear the windows before I get inside, so again I don't need to use it.
The issue is not when you are leaving to go somewhere, because you are correct you clean the windows when you leave, the issue is when you arrive at destination and the back of the car is coated in snow from the drive; you have to get out of the car to clean the camera when it is needed. This has happened to me on many occasions last winter and the reason I am glad to have this device.

Eldar, the inventor, has removed the branding based on feedback and has a new printing method with a different plastic. It now matches the color of the wiper arm and has a flat face.

Are the bristles soft? The only thing I worry about is micro abrasions made by the brush if there is no lubricant which can happen as soon as the washer mode is initiated the wiper starts before the fluid starts to flow over the window. That is my only concern is that over time it could lightly scratch the lens over time but if they are soft, this seems like a great must have add on for this vehicle!
Eldar, the inventor, has been using his device for about 2 years now and has not had any damage. The bristles are soft. I am not concerned at all.

Agree on both points. On their site, though, the product now explicitly says "unbranded". I'm going to try and order though their e-commerce servers appear to be having problems.

Edit: The order went through. If the order number is a count of the items sold, I purchased the 1404th one. Great!
Eldar, the inventor, has removed the branding based on feedback and has a new printing method with a different plastic. It now matches the color of the wiper arm and has a flat face.

My ordered shipped July 24 and i ordered July 17. My order #1142
Nice! If you are in North America it can take up to 5 weeks to arrive. That is what it took for me to get mine.

it looks like a great idea but for close to $60 cdn shipped, I think I might look into 3d printing my own at the local library, or a bit of plastic, a toothbrush head and some epoxy and problem fixed.
I agree that with the exchange rate it is a bit expensive, but Eldar, the inventor in Sweden, thought of the idea, went through the process of designing it to fit perfectly, made different iterations to improve on his designs, and set up a small business to help others by selling his invention. He even bought 7 more 3D printers, for a total of 10, to be able to print in volume. I prefer to help the inventor who helped Niro owners, it's one of the reasons I made the video.

It's a cleverly applied idea but It's also a very expensive toothbrush. It's €34, that's Euros €5 of which are shipping. What you will pay will vary with the exchange rate at the time of purchase, $41 American more or less, $54 in hockey country.
Like I said a very expensive brush. Also my concern is not so much the brushing of the lens but the paint surrounding the lens that it may come in contact with as it makes it's round trip. I use the rear wiper occasionally, when I feel it's important. I never turn it on and leave it on, I think that's a mistake. To much grit gets deposited on the rear window to use it constantly.
I agree that it is a bit expensive, but see my reply above (to Roadkill401) regarding my thoughts about that. As for your concern, Eldar the inventor of the Camwipe has been using his device for about 2 years now and has not had any damage. The rear camera housing is plastic, not painted, and is made of some pretty tough material like the camera lense. The bristles are soft and I have been using it for close to 1 month now with no marks whatsoever. I am not concerned at all.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns please let me know.

Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just received mine in the mail. Took 10 seconds to install...looks & works great. The one I received does not have the logo on it and is a good color match. Very, very happy with this purchase.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
111 Posts
Just received mine in the mail. Took 10 seconds to install...looks & works great. The one I received does not have the logo on it and is a good color match. Very, very happy with this purchase.
Got mine a week or so ago, but just put it on today. What took the most time was to determine what to do with the part I took off. Happy it doesn't have a logo and is a shiny black color.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That's great! The new versions should have new packaging, no logo, and the color should be a match. Eldar changed his printer settings and has new filament that makes it match.

Got mine a week or so ago, but just put it on today. What took the most time was to determine what to do with the part I took off. Happy it doesn't have a logo and is a shiny black color.
I had the same problem, I still don't know where to put the original piece. It's in a drawer for now :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ha Ha, yes I put mine in the console under my organizer so I can replace it when I remove the camwipe for my next Niro:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Found a potential problem with the brush attachment: THE CAR WASH. Went to the automatic car wash yesterday, and fellow taped my rear wiper down as normal, but afterwards, the brush attachment was cocked up at an odd angle. As that's the way it is removed, I can see it being flipped off in the middle of the wash, never to be found (or broken). I should consider taping it down myself, or even removing it for the wash and reinstalling afterwards.

Just a note of caution, nothing against the attachment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Found a potential problem with the brush attachment: THE CAR WASH. Went to the automatic car wash yesterday, and fellow taped my rear wiper down as normal, but afterwards, the brush attachment was cocked up at an odd angle. As that's the way it is removed, I can see it being flipped off in the middle of the wash, never to be found (or broken). I should consider taping it down myself, or even removing it for the wash and reinstalling afterwards.

Just a note of caution, nothing against the attachment.
That is correct. Automatic brush car washes are violent and any loose items should be fastened or removed. Also to note, that type of car wash is not great for the paint of your vehicle and I do not recommend them. Imagine that the person(several people) before you had mud and rocks caked onto their car(s), then you go through; your car gets all of the abrasive dirt that remained on the brushes scratching your paint. I would suggest using touchless car washes, or hand washing where you can control the dirt by using pre-washing and a 2 bucket system.

Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also to note, that type of car wash is not great for the paint of your vehicle and I do not recommend them.
At 77, I'm not about to wash my car myself. My previous car was 10 years old, and with twice yearly detailing and almost weekly automatic car washes, it looked like new. Clearcoat should be able to take it, and in my experience, it does. Same for my Mercedes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
At 77, I'm not about to wash my car myself. My previous car was 10 years old, and with twice yearly detailing and almost weekly automatic car washes, it looked like new. Clearcoat should be able to take it, and in my experience, it does. Same for my Mercedes.
I was not suggesting you wash it yourself, there are proper hand car washes that are careful with regards to how they wash cars. Regarding your previous experience with automatic brush car washes, not all clear coats are equal and neither is the paint below the clear. Take Tesla for example, I would not run it through a brush car wash because the paint is fragile due to the fact that Tesla has to follow California laws about chemical hardeners in their paint and clear, making them softer and less resistant than some other brands. Each manufacturer has their own formula for paint and clear and some are more prone to spiderwebbing than others, especially on darker colors like my Gravity Blue. So in my case I will not put it through a car wash with brushes, but each person chooses what is best for them and my previous post was simply a suggestion. I hope this explains what I was getting at.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts