Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any additional information about the Software Update #190050? I have tried to do a google search and found a kia PDF about how to install it, but doesn't really say what the update is all about.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did call and remarkably get through to Kia Canada. They said it was:

Campaign No 190050 DE HEV BMS DTC (P1B77) JUDGMENT LOGIC IMPROVEMENT

The aim of the campaign is to improve the Battery Management System (BMS) logic on your vehicle, which may exhibit a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) On with a specfic Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmm, I've had my charge light flash red on me a half dozen times while driving. And tonight when I plugged in, instead of a solid green light I got a flashing red light. Even though the car is taking a charge, EVO indicates so and so does my wall charger. No real defect, just misleading information. It hasn't flashed while driving at night, but that would definitely be distracting if it did.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did call and remarkably get through to Kia Canada. They said it was:

Campaign No 190050 DE HEV BMS DTC (P1B77) JUDGMENT LOGIC IMPROVEMENT

The aim of the campaign is to improve the Battery Management System (BMS) logic on your vehicle, which may exhibit a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) On with a specfic Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

I see a somewhat different description, which is frankly rather confusing.

SERVICE ACTION: DE HEV BMS DTC (P1B77)JUDGEMENTLOGIC IMPROVEMENT(SA393)

This bulletin provides the procedure to improve the logic of the Body Control Module(BCM) on some Niro (DE HEV) vehicles, produced from July 9, 2018 through January 28, 2019,which may experience a BMS MIL ON DTC P1B77.

What the heck does BCM have to do with BMS?

See the doc at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164379-0001.pdf

There are three other TSBs that recently showed up on the NHTSA website, for the HEV. Two of them are about alleviating a honking noise from the brake system if air gets into the brake lines, and those two are also listed for the PHEV. The third is about replacing a filter in the evaporative emissions system and it seems to potentially apply whether you've had a MIL light come on or not, depending on your VIN. But it also sounds like they aren't fully confident that they really know the full list of affected VINs. The doc for that one is here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164380-0001.pdf

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm curious about the filter on the evap system. I had a CEL come on about a month or two ago for a stuck open evap valve. I took it in to diagnose and they pressure tested the evap system and it passed so they told me to keep an eye on it to see if it came back. It hasn't (knock on wood). Wonder if this TSB for the evap filter is related?

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife and I purchased a Niro at the same time last year. Her car didn't show the need for the TSB190050 but my car did. I just took it in today for the 12month service, but as I didn't know anything about this TSB, I just asked them to skip installing it until I could get something more in detail as to what it is all about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts