Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone so far replaced Kia Under Cover Splash Shield?
any advise appreciated.
thanks

Under Cover - Kia (29110-G5000)
kia niro ex 2017

·
Registered
774 Posts
has anyone so far replaced Kia Under Cover Splash Shield?
any advise appreciated.
thanks
I haven't replaced it but I have taken it off before. It's really simple to remove and re-install, what advice are you looking for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are some cracks, holes on it,
maybe hit something on the road.
I guess I will need to remove and replace it.

this thing seems so simple but so expensive, more than $200.
I was looking for any previous experience,or advise about it

thanks alot.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Gotcha, it's a pretty complicated part with a bunch of aerodynamic elements and the access panels for oil filter and drain plug. Not surprised that it's kinda spendy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty expensive and complicated for something that is invisible and not really essential for operation of the vehicle. 20+ years ago no cars had these and they functioned just fine! I think the main purpose / function is to improve undercarriage aerodynamics and thus fuel efficiency. I have no idea if it ads 0.1 mpg or 3 mpg
If it were mine, I'd be wondering what actually harm, if any would result in not replacing the cracked shield.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty expensive and complicated for something that is invisible and not really essential for operation of the vehicle. 20+ years ago no cars had these and they functioned just fine! I think the main purpose / function is to improve undercarriage aerodynamics and thus fuel efficiency. I have no idea if it ads 0.1 mpg or 3 mpg
If it were mine, I'd be wondering what actually harm, if any would result in not replacing the cracked shield.
I totally agree on all points. I would not replace it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having had a wife who badly damaged one on the previous vehicle... I can tell you that Gorilla tape won't hold long at all. The part isn't essential (at least wasn't on the 2013 Cmax) - but there is no doubt that without it there's a lot more road noise and less protection for the engine area where you have a lot of sensitive electronics. I didn't replace on the Cmax because I was pretty well ready to sell the car fairly soon anyways... but that was the only reason I didn't replace. I don't think $200 is out of line at all for such a large hunk of precision-engineered plastic.

·
Super Moderator
1,214 Posts
The cover also most likely offers some improvement in aerodynamics, so MPG might be impacted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That cover is there for aerodynamics only and if removed, the MPG change would be extremely small but no doubt measurable. I owned a 2012 Cruze that had plastic covering from the front bumper to the rear axle area. There was actually a recall to cut out part of the plastic under the engine because if the oil was splashed around on a change, it would hold dirt on the cover and with the turbo very close to that cover, fire was possible. I had a major section of that cover cut away and did not notice a change in MPG.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I hit something on the road with my Prius when it was fairly new and it happened real close to the Toyota dealer I did business with. Well dragging that thing caused a racket and everybody was looking when I drove into the service bay. I was gonna be late for work so I pleaded with them if they could fix it quick and a mechanic comes out with his knife, cut it off, threw it in the garbage and said it was a piece of you know what and wasn't necessary anyway. Problem solved, I drove it for another 150k mi. with no problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gorilla tape doesn't work but there are methods to weld plastic back together. Depending on the cracks and the type of plastic, that might be possible in your case. If you're going to take it off and throw it away, might be worth a DIY attempt.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have repaired plastic parts before by drilling holes on both sides of a crack and using zip ties to attach it back together. I have had mine off several times I think that might work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts