Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the KIA app was installed at the dealership when we purchased the KIA Niro EV. Well enough and it works fine. It's set to max charge to 80%.

Yesterday I finished a 14-50 ChargePoint EVSE. The car had about 82% charge, and I setup the ChargePoint to charge during off time hours (10pm to 7 am). When I plugged the car in, I expected the charging to occur in off peak time, which did not happen. The car began charging immediately, and charged to 100% pretty quickly.

Seems these two apps may conflict with one another. I was thinking of removing the KIA UVO app account, but I think it is useful beyond the charging portion.

Anyone have similar experience, and or methods to resolve.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,385 Posts
I have the Chargepoint app, but have only used it for public stations. I have a Juicebox at home, and have an app for that as well. I haven't seen any interaction between any of them, but again I've never controlled a Chargepoint home EVSE.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe not related to your problem, but even though I have my schedule set of on-peak times only, if I plug the car in too close to the off-peak time, it will often start charging... the Kia software sucks.

When this happens, I use the app to stop charging. This normally works, and the charge takes place at the right time, but if I do this too close to the off-peak, then it does not charge that day.

Really poor software..

Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, my off peak is set to 10:00 p.m. on ChargePoint, and UVO set to stop/not charge above 80%.

I plugged in the car about 2:00 pm, it was at 82%. Not sure who, car, UVO or ChargePoint/combo, did the charging. Will make charging option changes to the car's internal software tomorrow and see what that brings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, my off peak is set to 10:00 p.m. on ChargePoint, and UVO set to stop/not charge above 80%.

I plugged in the car about 2:00 pm, it was at 82%. Not sure who, car, UVO or ChargePoint/combo, did the charging. Will make charging option changes to the car's internal software tomorrow and see what that brings.
Looking forward to hearing your results. I just installed the ChargePoint 14-50 as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Setup the Niro EV internal (car) charging setup/schedule, et al. It is set for its first charge this evening/early am, depending on what it calculates. I suspect it will start in mid a.m., cut off is 5:50 a.m.. Hopefully UVO will remain 'out', and the Niro will 'take charge'... LOL Will advise.

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV - SX Touring - Graphite
11 Posts
I have a ChargePoint EVSE at home and use the intelligence on that instead of anything on the car. If I plug the car into a public charger, I want it to charge immediately without thinking about it. At home, I don't want any conflict between the intelligence in the EVSE and the car, so all schedules are disabled in the Niro.

I'd recommend you do the same. If your EVSE is setup to handle the off-peak scheduling, you don't need anything enabled in the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here’s what I do, and why: I set the charge parameters on the car, using the touchscreen interface. You can set the charge time window, and max charge percentage through the interface. I don’t use the Juicebox app to control the charge time.

When the car’s charge level drops to about 20%, I plug the car in when I come home in the evening. The center charge light on the dash blinks, indicating that the car is plugged in, and waiting for the timer. At the set time (10:00), the charge cycle starts, and continues until the charge level reaches max percentage (80%).

If I want to charge the car during the day, I simply press the timer override button in the car. There‘s no need to open any apps, or wait to see if any changes made through an app take effect.

I’ve been doing this for years. It’s straightforward, and works great.

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV - SX Touring - Graphite
11 Posts
Why not just let the ChargePoint EVSE handle the heavy lifting? Get home, plug the car in. No muss, no fuss. If you're out and about, no need to press another button or think about anything. At that point, why did you spend more money on a "smart" EVSE and not just get a dumb one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm trialing using the ChargePoint only right now, with the cars scheduling zeroed out. It seems to me, still with not enough practical experience yet, this will work away from home well, as we'll plug in, charge to desired road distance, and go, and while at home the limits are ready and set, plug and relax.

Still messing about in my head about whether to do 100% charges at home, on an occasional basis, rather than 80% charges each night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here’s what I do, and why: I set the charge parameters on the car, using the touchscreen interface. You can set the charge time window, and max charge percentage through the interface. I don’t use the Juicebox app to control the charge time.

When the car’s charge level drops to about 20%, I plug the car in when I come home in the evening. The center charge light on the dash blinks, indicating that the car is plugged in, and waiting for the timer. At the set time (10:00), the charge cycle starts, and continues until the charge level reaches max percentage (80%).

If I want to charge the car during the day, I simply press the timer override button in the car. There‘s no need to open any apps, or wait to see if any changes made through an app take effect.

I’ve been doing this for years. It’s straightforward, and works great.
Hi Avitt - I do the same thing. I set the charge parameters in the car dash. Plug the car in, my charge lights are blinking. The message panel says charging will start according to the schedule. The next morning I see the car did not start charging at 12 mid night like it should have. So annoying. But sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I still have not figured it out yet. I use the phone app primarily for checking on the status of the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not just let the ChargePoint EVSE handle the heavy lifting? Get home, plug the car in. No muss, no fuss. If you're out and about, no need to press another button or think about anything. At that point, why did you spend more money on a "smart" EVSE and not just get a dumb one?
I think it all has to do with the use case: There are different EVs, and many ways that people use them. Plug-in’s typically are charged at every opportunity, home and away, day or night. I used to drive a short range (about 80 miles) EV. So I charged to 100% every night, and often charged on the road. At that time, I let the EVSE control the schedule. (In fact, I took part in trial with SoCal Edison and Emotorwerks, to use the EVSE as a second meter, and take advantage of the metered EV rate. This required them to supply me with a ”WattBox“, which plugged in between the outlet and my first generation Juicebox, and provided the usage data to the utility.)

Now, however, I have a much longer range. I’m also driving much less. And I’ve learned that EV batteries stay healthiest when they’re charged between 20% and 80%. This means that I am only charging the car once or twice a week. And I find that I’m doing about 98% of my charging at home. And most of that charging is overnight. But there are a few occasions when I need to make an unanticipated trip (say, to make a pickup at the airport) and the car is in the wrong state of charge. So you can see that for me, for the 5% of times when I need to charge on the road or during the day, it’s just very easy to touch the switch on the dash. Easier than opening an app, setting or overriding a schedule, and waiting to make sure the juice is flowing.

Point is, to each , their own. I have experience with both techniques. But for me, and how I use my car, this is currently the process which requires the least effort.

Hi Avitt - I do the same thing. I set the charge parameters in the car dash. Plug the car in, my charge lights are blinking. The message panel says charging will start according to the schedule. The next morning I see the car did not start charging at 12 mid night like it should have. So annoying. But sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I still have not figured it out yet. I use the phone app primarily for checking on the status of the car.
My thinking is that you have a schedule set on the EVSE, and when the car is ready to accept the charge, the EVSE is not programmed to provide power. Either that, or you may have a 12 AM/PM confusion issue? But the fact that you say it works sometimes is puzzling...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it all has to do with the use case: There are different EVs, and many ways that people use them. Plug-in’s typically are charged at every opportunity, home and away, day or night. I used to drive a short range (about 80 miles) EV. So I charged to 100% every night, and often charged on the road. At that time, I let the EVSE control the schedule. (In fact, I took part in trial with SoCal Edison and Emotorwerks, to use the EVSE as a second meter, and take advantage of the metered EV rate. This required them to supply me with a ”WattBox“, which plugged in between the outlet and my first generation Juicebox, and provided the usage data to the utility.)

Now, however, I have a much longer range. I’m also driving much less. And I’ve learned that EV batteries stay healthiest when they’re charged between 20% and 80%. This means that I am only charging the car once or twice a week. And I find that I’m doing about 98% of my charging at home. And most of that charging is overnight. But there are a few occasions when I need to make an unanticipated trip (say, to make a pickup at the airport) and the car is in the wrong state of charge. So you can see that for me, for the 5% of times when I need to charge on the road or during the day, it’s just very easy to touch the switch on the dash. Easier than opening an app, setting or overriding a schedule, and waiting to make sure the juice is flowing.

Point is, to each , their own. I have experience with both techniques. But for me, and how I use my car, this is currently the process which requires the least effort.

My thinking is that you have a schedule set on the EVSE, and when the car is ready to accept the charge, the EVSE is not programmed to provide power. Either that, or you may have a 12 AM/PM confusion issue? But the fact that you say it works sometimes is puzzling...
Avitt,

Your "it’s just very easy to touch the switch on the dash. " What switch is that?

We're currently using the ChargePoint to take over charging in off peak times. It's a 14-50/50A.

Initially we had the UVO app setup and the ChargePoint setup as well. We cleared out the schedules of UVO, other than max charge. The Chargeoint is working well.

We are waiting for Pacific Power to install their 'gadget' for the "Time of Day" plan to start. Off peak is .01 cents KWh, I believe. We've set the Kia UVO app limit to the charge to 80%, as well. Similar to you, it's that odd time for a longer trip. Closest and rare trip city is Eugene, about 90 miles away. We've had the car about two weeks, and we are pondering over the options and better method to use, as you say it is each to their own, very true.

We took a short ride up Hwy 138 today, along the N. Umpqua River, 30 miles up and 30 back. The Niro calculation up, which is also gradually uphill most of the way, remained 'correct'. Coming back we used 24 miles of 'range' for the 30 miles of travel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts