Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local KIA dealership sent me offers to buy my Niro, but I'm curious about their motivation. They say stuff like there's a shortage of pre-owned in the region, and they want me to buy a new car etc...

Having been on this forum for a while, I'm not sure there isn't an ulterior motive, like a defect they don't want to pay for.

Is this SOP or has someone else dealt with this?

This was my first "New" car and I haven't dealt with retention programs, or whatever they call them if that's all it is.

BTW I have an 2018 hybrid LX with the Tech package (paid about $25k). My offers started at $14,654, 2 months later $15,229, and this week $17,048. I like my Niro, and looking at the new ones can't find the combo I like for less than about $28k

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I got an offer for around $14K trade in value. Nope! I'm running it into the ground.

But it is not just normal hyping of new car sales, used cars sales are red hot - and dealers can't get enough.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
184 Posts
Here in Canada, we have guys trading new pickup trucks every 6 months without laying out any money because the dealers send the "almost new" pickup to the USA where the $$ exchange difference makes it a viable deal for the dealers...and they sell new pickups here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Since new vehicles are now coming to dealerships at barely a trickle, they have to do something to keep their lots full, or at least some kind of vehicles on the lot. So, the value of used cars has been exploding, especially the used truck market.

For example. My dad just traded in his 2015 Chevy half ton truck in. Brand new he paid $32k for it 6 years ago. They gave him $28k on trade in for it!!!! It was in pretty good shape and only had about 75,000 miles on it.

Used 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are going at even higher prices now than what some people paid for them! I’m hearing a lot of people selling their 2018-2020 used 3/4 and 1 ton trucks back to dealerships for more than they paid when the truck was brand new!

Now, if gas prices keep rising which all signals show they will, then the truck market is going to start slowing while the used economy car market is going to start really taking off. Just think if the national average gas price goes up another $1 a gallon. All of those people using a big truck for their daily commute will start to feel the pain when filling them up at the gas station. It won’t take long for economy cars to come back in high demand. Then you will start to have offers for your Niro that rival what you paid for it when it was new!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I’ve been getting these “offers” for years so it doesn’t seem to be because the recent shortages.as was said before, it’s just an attempt to get you to buy a new car from the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
I've been shopping around a bit here in the Seattle area, and so far no one has made what I consider an acceptable offer for my Niro. Part of my issue is the wife wants another PHEV, while I'd like a BEV. For PHEVs, there are few options available in this area. I don't want another Niro. Not because I have any problems or major issues with the car. But I'd like something with a little more EV range and an electric heater so the ICE isn't needed for that. The low EV horsepower is probably my one complaint with the car, but that's because I have a lot of hills in the area. At there moment, there's really only three new cars that fit those requirements: the RAV4 Prime, Mitsubishi Eclipse (although it doesn't have more range), or the BMW i3 REx.

The RAV4 is simply unavailable, period. I call dealers out of state, and they have 9 month long waiting lists. The Eclipse is available in Oregon, but I am hesitant to drive 3+ hours to somewhere that can't give me some assurance they will satisfy my trade value. For the i3, there's a grand total of one in western WA, and that dealer is severely low balling a trade value.

What's amazing is that using cars.com, there's a total of one Niro PHEV that is the same year and trim as mine within more than 100 miles from me, so it's not like there's a glut of them available. So far every dealer is between $2-3000 too low in their trade in offer. I suppose I could go finagle with them for a few hours and see if they'll improve their offer, but I really hate that process and don't feel like doing that again. I had to do it with my Niro lease, and it's no fun.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
So far every dealer is between $2-3000 too low in their trade in offer.
No harm done if you list your car for a private sale at your number. If successful, you don't have to worry about selecting a dealer based on trade-in value. If not, you haven't lost anything.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
There might be harm if I can't find something to replace it with, and that's the larger issue for me. Everything I'm interested in simply isn't available. While we also have a Dodge 1500 pickup, that's not very economical to drive, and being a standard cab there's nowhere to put something out of the weather when shopping. I realize a self-sale is my best financial interest, but it's more convenient to simply trade the car for another.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
194 Posts
My local KIA dealership sent me offers to buy my Niro, but I'm curious about their motivation. They say stuff like there's a shortage of pre-owned in the region, and they want me to buy a new car etc...

Having been on this forum for a while, I'm not sure there isn't an ulterior motive, like a defect they don't want to pay for.

This was my first "New" car and I haven't dealt with retention programs, or whatever they call them if that's all it is.

BTW I have an 2018 hybrid LX with the Tech package (paid about $25k). My offers started at $14,654, 2 months later $15,229, and this week $17,048. I like my Niro, and looking at the new ones can't find the combo I like for less than about $28k
No defective. They just want to make money. Every time I go to the dealership, I get approached by sales reps stating if I want to trade for a newer one. I always decline.

·
Registered
160 Posts
it's marketing gimmick. all dealers do this, and with current market on "fire" they will make a killing since all values of used/new are up. even early 2020, normal transaction price for a Miata was couple thousands off before asking for discount. but now, certain models actual have a markups. I am going to wait a year or two for these new cars to come back into used market with huge cut in price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reinforcements all.
I figured it was something like this.
I've been burnt so many times, when I'm offered a "great" deal, I get skeptical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reinforcements all.
I figured it was something like this.
I've been burnt so many times, when I'm offered a "great" deal, I get skeptical.

Trust me we all been burnt by car salesmen and their dealership bosses. Why do they coin the term to car salesmen "scum of the the earth"?. You get better at it though each time around. Tips - always research and do your homework. Have at least a minimum of 2 other prices from other dealerships and show them a printout of it so they can't say do you have proof (morons) and the most important tip - Read every fine print and question anything you don't understand why you are getting charged for. If they give you a bunch of mumbo jumbo, simply ask them, "Is this fee industry standard fee?" If its anything short of an answer yes, it isn't industry standard (imbeciles). I have never encountered an honest car dealership yet. Most of my cars have been brought from private owners & e-commerce car companies. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts

June 20, 2021 I was offered 18,700 from Carmxax for my 2017 Kia Niro EX. I inquired before reserving the new Ford Maverick truck that I reserved online. I’m not sure if this is a good move as I lov e my trouble-free Niro and the excellent mileage BUT…I fell in love with the Ford maverick truck! So my new love prevails.

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Touring Graphite Edition
66 Posts
Dealers suck but like all retail businesses need inventory to sell. They'd be selling new cars but for the chip shortage so they buy and sell used which is mostly all they can get there hands on. It helps to keep the dealer solvent.
Around Feb or Mar I looked online to buy a used '15 Toyota Venza and that's when I started getting email exhortations/voicemails to sell them my '02 Camry. So I took the Camry to a Toyota dealer and while there I took a new Venza for a why-not test drive. I was not only impressed but smitten. Trouble was that at the time it was almost twice as much as a used one and I was just not mentally prepared to spend that much more so I passed. Now I regret that decision.
As it turned out the used Venzas with low mileage were not what they claimed to be. Toyota doesn't keep track of transmissions and I suspect people are swapping out low mileage trannies from junk yards then trying to get premium price for otherwise clapped out junk.
Meantime the new ones are selling while they're still on the hauler and dealers are putting a premium on top of the sticker and loading them up with all kinds of doodads that you don't want or need. Lately I see they are pushing cars up to their property boundary to hide a relatively empty lot in the middle.
All the dealers low-balled me on the Camry so I sold it to carmax for $3500, warts and all. Out of curiosity I offered my '18 EX Premium package for sale and one of the onliners offered 23,000. Paid 25,000 for it. It's insane.
BTW, I just had a peek at the upcoming, on a new platform, bigger, roomier Sportage. Nice sleek looking car and they are going to make a HEV and PHEV version also. Maybe it's gonna work out afterall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts