Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Niro Hybrid EX w/ Premium Package
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a road trip last weekend from LA to the Bay and back. if anyone else has done this before, you'll know about the Grapevine and massive uphill/downhill. I was pleasantly surprised that my car didn't have any trouble going up. Going down was easy and charged the battery to the max. all in all on the way there I got about 50.5 mpg. Way back down I got 47 mpg (went faster on the way back around 80 the whole time). Just around where I expected it MPG to be.

oh and I tried using premium 91 shell vpower gas to see if it would make a difference. honestly i can't tell if it did or not. i'll probably just stick to 87. with an occasional tank of 91 if I come across a cheap price for it.

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
higher octane gas does ZERO for improving engine performance or getting better fuel economy. Your car was designed for 87 and running on ha higher octane I have heard can be more of a deteriment than a benefit.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Detriment? Yes, to your wallet. Otherwise no harm done now that leaded gas is not available.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Took a road trip last weekend from LA to the Bay and back. if anyone else has done this before, you'll know about the Grapevine and massive uphill/downhill. I was pleasantly surprised that my car didn't have any trouble going up. Going down was easy and charged the battery to the max. all in all on the way there I got about 50.5 mpg. Way back down I got 47 mpg (went faster on the way back around 80 the whole time). Just around where I expected it MPG to be.

oh and I tried using premium 91 shell vpower gas to see if it would make a difference. honestly i can't tell if it did or not. i'll probably just stick to 87. with an occasional tank of 91 if I come across a cheap price for it.
I've done that trip a couple of times in my Niro. Are you driving a plug-in (PHEV)? I usually top out around 70 or 75, and have typically gotten at least 54 MPG on that trip (with one or two passengers and luggage). One thing I've learned with my PHEV is that if I'm starting with a full charge then I drive on electric for about 8 miles (so that the charge will be depleted a little and the battery has room to absorb charge later in my drive) and then I hit the HEV switch to force it into hybrid mode. That means I have something like an 18 mile electric range at the bottom of "the hill". Having the additional capacity in the traction battery gives me better acceleration on the way up the Grapevine and also helps out when I'm on the other side in stop-and-go traffic at a rest-stop or in city driving. If I still have any charge left when I return home, I switch back to EV mode when I'm something like 18 miles away in order to maximize my MPG for the trip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done that trip a couple of times in my Niro. Are you driving a plug-in (PHEV)? I usually top out around 70 or 75, and have typically gotten at least 54 MPG on that trip (with one or two passengers and luggage). One thing I've learned with my PHEV is that if I'm starting with a full charge then I drive on electric for about 8 miles (so that the charge will be depleted a little and the battery has room to absorb charge later in my drive) and then I hit the HEV switch to force it into hybrid mode. That means I have something like an 18 mile electric range at the bottom of "the hill". Having the additional capacity in the traction battery gives me better acceleration on the way up the Grapevine and also helps out when I'm on the other side in stop-and-go traffic at a rest-stop or in city driving. If I still have any charge left when I return home, I switch back to EV mode when I'm something like 18 miles away in order to maximize my MPG for the trip.
Just have the regular HEV. Last car was an Optima PHEV and I would something similar for my work commute through the toll road hills. I do miss running on full EV sometimes but in very happy with how the Niro HEV runs 😄

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. I was previously under the impression that the 2018 Niro EX Premium was only available for the PHEV, and not for the HEV. I must have been mistaken.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for clarifying that. I was previously under the impression that the 2018 Niro EX Premium was only available for the PHEV, and not for the HEV. I must have been mistaken.
Ahh yes it's technically the EX but with Premium Package add on. Basically the same exact car as the Touring but with 16" tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From LA as well, I've gone to Bakersfield/Fresno. I've also taken my 2017 to Death Valley around New Year's. Anyone who has gone, knows the way in can be iffy at best. It is a lot of up- and downhill action, plus some spots you're high enough for snowy conditions. My Niro handled fine, and I managed easily between 40-50 mpg the entire trip, no problem.

Also have taken it to Arrowhead and Big Bear. The steep climb to 5,000 - 6,000+ ft was easy, especially with sport mode. Overall the trip, including the way down, I averaged 60+ mpg (mostly because of the downhill and coasting areas once up the mountain).

Our car is by no means an off road vehicle, but it is definitely a road warrior.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes, I think this is the way to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Small update to add to my previous post. I just got back from a trip to Tahoe, did about 1,450 miles total. Averaged approximately 50 MPG.

We took the US-395 all the way up on the way to Tahoe, which really was the toughest part as it's all uphill and up the mountains. This half of the trip was the lowest MPG by far, due to the constant climbing. Tahoe was actually really nice to drive in. I easily averaged like 60-70+ MPG, because while there are many uphill portions in the area there are way more slow declines and coasting possibilities. We had a good mix of quality of roads too while in Tahoe. Nothing off road, but definitely some trails were not meant for ALL cars. The Niro handled them just fine.

When we left we came "the long way home". By that, I mean we headed west through San Francisco and down the coast on the PCH. First of all, what a gorgeous drive. Leaving Tahoe through the mountains and forest was amazing. Let alone coasting through Big Sur and the Northern/Central Californian coast. Second, the car had no problems with the steep San Francisco roads, or the windiness of the coast highway.

My overall MPG probably could have easily been much better, but I am often times an impatient California driver. I remain with my previous statement. This car is a road warrior.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice!! I actually just got back from a long road trip to Wyoming visiting Grand Teton and Yellowstone National parks and totally agree that this car is a road warrior.

Handled the cold well (as low as 15) and even managed to do some light off roading on dirt/snow to get to some trails. Have chains just in case but never had to use them. Did around 2k miles round trip on 4 tanks of gas. Driving around Yellowstone itself looks like was similar to driving around Tahoe, got 65 mpg due to the inclines and long downhills. Love this car for these long road trips.

Small update to add to my previous post. I just got back from a trip to Tahoe, did about 1,450 miles total. Averaged approximately 50 MPG.

We took the US-395 all the way up on the way to Tahoe, which really was the toughest part as it's all uphill and up the mountains. This half of the trip was the lowest MPG by far, due to the constant climbing. Tahoe was actually really nice to drive in. I easily averaged like 60-70+ MPG, because while there are many uphill portions in the area there are way more slow declines and coasting possibilities. We had a good mix of quality of roads too while in Tahoe. Nothing off road, but definitely some trails were not meant for ALL cars. The Niro handled them just fine.

When we left we came "the long way home". By that, I mean we headed west through San Francisco and down the coast on the PCH. First of all, what a gorgeous drive. Leaving Tahoe through the mountains and forest was amazing. Let alone coasting through Big Sur and the Northern/Central Californian coast. Second, the car had no problems with the steep San Francisco roads, or the windiness of the coast highway.

I remain with my previous statement. This car is a road warrior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts