Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating purchasing a Niro in the next month or so. I have a few concerns and one of them is whether my dogs will be comfortable. I'm sure this sounds like a strange concern to non-dog owners but I'm wondering how my large German Shepherds will fit in the Niro. One of them is 100+ pounds and not terribly agile. He rides with me often as he is a therapy dog and we visit schools and hospitals frequently. Does anyone have photos of their large dogs in the backseat and/or the cargo area of the Niro? I'm not very keen on taking him to a dealership to see if they'll let him hop in as he is shedding like crazy right now. :laugh:

I'd have to be able to have the largest dog fit in the backseat with one other passenger in order for this car to be a go. I'm headed back to the dealer to try and eyeball it but would love photos or videos of your (extremely) large dogs in a Niro. Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a short, fat Australian Shepherd with arthritis who had a really hard time getting in and out of my CR-V, but she's having no problem with the Niro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's great to know as my big guy has a tough time getting in and out of my Lexus RX. He had an easier time getting in and out of my Honda Pilot even though it was higher. I'm beginning to suspect that it has something to do with the doors on the Lexus not opening very wide. If you come across any photos of your pup in the car I'd love to see them for size reference. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The doors on the Niro open far wider than most cars so that is not an issue. Rear seats are split so I'm thinking the easiest path for an older dog is to have one rear seat down, and offer the dog entry on the other side. Sort of a two step into the rear compartment with a larger first step. After that, your rear seat passenger can sit down, and depending on human or dog preferences or needs, the other rear seat could then be raised to restrict dog movement or add another rear seat passenger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both! Very helpful to see a dog sitting in the car and great to know that the doors open wide. Appreciate it! I really want the Niro to work, I am completely over the horrible mileage that my last two cars have had, I'm just nervous that the cargo capacity will be an issue with the Niro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True... but I'm not seeing much (or anything, really) at this price point that gets similar fuel efficiency and has more cargo space.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I drive with my dogs on occasion. I have a Lab and a German Pointer. Used to have them in the back seat. But my older lab likes to stretch out so now we have folding both seats down. She can still get in since the car sits so low. We have taken trips that are 4 hours so they like the extra room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 75 lb. Golden Doodle and have a sling in the back seat he has plenty of room and we still have all the room in the back cargo area and also behind the front seats under the sling...
sorry no pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While my dogs are little, my 15 year old Cajun Cur (23lbs) can get in and out of the Niro much easier than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. She is getting old and stiff, but curls up in the seat or stands on the center console easily. A nice big dog would have no room trouble in the back and find getting in and out easy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here's Cooper, our 110lb Lab Great Dane mix, in the back our Niro. I wouldn't put him in the back with the seats up, but there's plenty of room back there. We've had him and our friends 60lb yellow lab in there at the same time and they are very comfortable.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts