Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PHEV, in Canada, does not show any details regarding the battery condition, charging rates etc., apart from time-to-charge and percentage of charge.

I'd love to get detailed information like one can get for the Leaf, and imagine it's possible.

Has anyone tried to get detailed information out of the PHEV system? If so, any recommendations?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would especially be interested in getting the battery temperature information. Surprised that there doesn't seem to be any display for that in the car.

A good OBDII bluetooth interface ought to be able to do what you're looking for, but I haven't tried. Apparently that's how the Leaf Spy Pro works, it uses a standard bluetooth OBDII adapter, and then some guy wrote a phone app to display the relevant info for the Leaf's battery. Entirely possible the Leaf Spy Pro app might even work on the Niro, did you try it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm wondering if that might also be a way to figure out when friction braking is added to regeneration braking. If I knew that, I could plan stops to maximize regeneration. As it is, I can only guess. KIA did too good a job at making it seamless. I don't even know if friction starts before regen is maximum, is smoothly added as regen is increased or only starts after regeneration is maximum.

Someone here said he seldom uses friction braking except to a full stop....how does he know?

I would really be interested in knowing a lot more about this car's systems.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Can feel it, the meter shows regen has stopped, and many reports of high mileage owners with only tiny amounts of brake pad wear where it would be time for replacement in ICE only cars. Additionally, Cowpuc posted a video of a long application of brakes downhill, was able to put his bare hand on the brake disks afterwards. Those suckers get really hot even with limited application.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would especially be interested in getting the battery temperature information. Surprised that there doesn't seem to be any display for that in the car.

A good OBDII bluetooth interface ought to be able to do what you're looking for, but I haven't tried. Apparently that's how the Leaf Spy Pro works, it uses a standard bluetooth OBDII adapter, and then some guy wrote a phone app to display the relevant info for the Leaf's battery. Entirely possible the Leaf Spy Pro app might even work on the Niro, did you try it?
I got it working with a blietooth OBDII and the torque app on android. You need to add the Niro specific pids available here:
https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/blob/master/Kia Niro PHEV/extendedpids/0_Niro_PIDs_final.csv

You can browse that list and see what it gives you, which inclides the batt temp.

No pid for indication of friction brakes being used though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it working with a blietooth OBDII and the torque app on android. You need to add the Niro specific pids available here:
https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/blob/master/Kia Niro PHEV/extendedpids/0_Niro_PIDs_final.csv

You can browse that list and see what it gives you, which inclides the batt temp.

No pid for indication of friction brakes being used though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks Tiny!!

I've just purchased Torque Pro (had Piston but it didn't have the customization) and will soon have the OBDII device ready. Will update if successful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts