Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changed all my exterior lights to LEDs yesterday, the difference is dramatic.
LED headlights, Auxito 9005/HB3. 6500k
LED fog lights, Auxito H11/H8/H16 6500k
Reverse light, Auxito 921 white.
Wasn't too difficult, headlights were simple, fog lights require loosening the inner fender liners and reverse lights require removing a corner cover under the rear bumper cover. Once I figured it all out, like an hour of my time.

It was really dirty inside the front bumper cover.

Highly recommended.

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SE AWD, 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo.
162 Posts
I did ours also, but a warning if you want do more, I put them in the turn and brake as well but after a few weeks the rear brake lights starting giving Check Bulb errors so I put the old ones back in. No issue with the headlights though.

· Registered
6 Posts
Changed all my exterior lights to LEDs yesterday, the difference is dramatic.
LED headlights, Auxito 9005/HB3. 6500k
LED fog lights, Auxito H11/H8/H16 6500k
Reverse light, Auxito 921 white.
Wasn't too difficult, headlights were simple, fog lights require loosening the inner fender liners and reverse lights require removing a corner cover under the rear bumper cover. Once I figured it all out, like an hour of my time.

It was really dirty inside the front bumper cover.

Highly recommended.
is this just a swap in bulb? is it that simple? did you get any warning lights or errors? I have a 2023 Niro PHEV EX. I had a 2020 Niro PHEV with LEDs but the SX Touring package was nearly $6K more vs the EX so it wasn't worth it. I'm looking to see if there is a simple way to convert the bulbs to LED.

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SE AWD, 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo.
162 Posts
I put LED in our 2022 Niro, the brake lights started giving a few warnings after a month so I put the old one back in, but the headlights and front turn signals worked good with no issues.

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is this just a swap in bulb? is it that simple? did you get any warning lights or errors? I have a 2023 Niro PHEV EX. I had a 2020 Niro PHEV with LEDs but the SX Touring package was nearly $6K more vs the EX so it wasn't worth it. I'm looking to see if there is a simple way to convert the bulbs to LED.
No issues, and it is a direct plug in replacement.

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
I replaced the headlights with the same Auxito part (from this thread, thanks Griswald!) and am delighted - very bright and sharp cutoff at the perfect level to avoid blinding other drivers. On high beams... wow, it's like a high-intensity spotlight ahead. Also LED-ed all interior plus license plate lights, only excepting the vanity lights in the windshield visors. Those remain original because the space is small and holder very tight. Trying to get a LED module into one of the vanity sockets, I broke two modules then gave up and replaced the original bulb - NP since the vanity lights are seldom used anyway.

Fog lamps are next since they look kind of yellow and dim. I usually leave those off to save power, though when needed the LEDs should similarly be a great improvement.

· Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
318 Posts
I replaced the headlights with the same Auxito part (from this thread, thanks Griswald!) and am delighted - very bright and sharp cutoff at the perfect level to avoid blinding other drivers. On high beams... wow, it's like a high-intensity spotlight ahead. Also LED-ed all interior plus license plate lights, only excepting the vanity lights in the windshield visors. Those remain original because the space is small and holder very tight. Trying to get a LED module into one of the vanity sockets, I broke two modules then gave up and replaced the original bulb - NP since the vanity lights are seldom used anyway.

Fog lamps are next since they look kind of yellow and dim. I usually leave those off to save power, though when needed the LEDs should similarly be a great improvement.
I'd be leery of swapping out your fog lights, unless you aren't going to be using them as fog lights. If the replacement ones are too bright they will just illuminate/reflect back more light from the water vapor more and make it more difficult to see other objects.

Fog lights by design do not shine as far as a headlight, but throw more light out to the side and right in front of the vehicle. These lights are useful for seeing road markings, but they will not help you see into the fog (or heavy rain)—so they are really only helpful when driving at relatively low speeds.

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much do the LED headlight bulbs cost and how long do they last?
Thanks for the tip on the fog lights. It's pretty rare I have to actually deal with fog but do get heavy rain, and also am thinking of sometimes having more light down low and/or increasing visibility to oncoming traffic. That strategy helps on a motorcycle. The current fog lights also seem quite dim - unusual to me for a car less than two years old.

$57 + tax: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09STGM7KV?th=1 Rated lifespan "...up to 50,000 hours" Average rating is strongly positive.

I'm a little wary of the (mechanical) fan, yet also read those without a fan more often have cooling problems and can fail early. There's also the matter of being able to fit a module with a large fanless heat sink. These Auxitos are only slightly larger than the originals and fit fine. Much larger would not.

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
Did this, led fogs don’t last long and my one of my led headlights flicker putting oem back as these go out. Don’t last long enough. The fogs are already back to oem after changing both leds in a year.
I saw some of those caveats too. It's a calculated risk. If they flicker or otherwise fail inside of the warranty - back they go. Outside, I eat the $57 and chalk it up to experience. If or until then, the added brightness is a big plus. Wonder why the fogs failed early for you. I rarely run mine yet want good ones at the ready. Perhaps it's a quality difference and/or more vibration at that location.

· Registered
2017 Niro LX
9 Posts
Replaced the halogen bulbs in mine with these:

And the backup lights with those:

That's gonna be all the exterior lights I'll be replacing (LX trim level already has rear LEDs and a LED strip in the headlights).

Soon as I find out what the map lights are using, I'll be replacing those too. Already did the dome light and the trunk light with blue light LEDs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts