Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
We have a new Niro EV. The Level 1 charger cable included with the car shows "Fault" when it is plugged into a standard 120 volt socket, and the cable will not supply any charge to the car. See the photo below. Any suggestions?
try changing the charge current frm 12a to 8a. there is a little square black button on the back of the l1 charging cable. un plug the cable from the car but leave it plugged into the wall. push the button for 2 seconds. it will cycle through H M and L. 12, 10 and 8a respectively.

on the phev one can also change the charge current from the PHEV charging menu on the center dash.

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
It's also possible the AC outlet you are using isn't wired correctly, or has a broken or poorly connected wire (likely the ground wire). It might work fine with lower powered devices, but the EVSE is very particular about the power it is fed. I like Charles' suggestion as well to try using a lower power setting.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Agree. But try a different outlet to confirm your cord works. If it does, get an electrician to update your home circuit. You would probably want a faster charging speed with a BEV.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Also try a different outlet in your home and if possible somewhere else (neighbor's home). If the cord works at neighbor's house, then you know it is your outlet causing the problem. If the cord doesn't work at neighbor's house, then you know the problem lies with the cord and you can take it back to a Kia dealer and have them swap it out. It is covered under the warranty.

Though like yticolev said, look into getting a L2 220V EVSE installed if possible. 2.5 hour charge times are wonderful!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Also try a different outlet in your home and if possible somewhere else (neighbor's home). If the cord works at neighbor's house, then you know it is your outlet causing the problem. If the cord doesn't work at neighbor's house, then you know the problem lies with the cord and you can take it back to a Kia dealer and have them swap it out. It is covered under the warranty.

Though like yticolev said, look into getting a L2 220V EVSE installed if possible. 2.5 hour charge times are wonderful!
It'll take just a little longer than 2.5 hours to charge the EV Niro. That's how long it takes to charge the PHEV with it's 8.9kWh pack.

From this link: https://www.chargepoint.com/blog/everything-you-need-know-about-charging-kia-niro-ev-and-phev/

• Level 1 Charging (120V) = 60 hours from empty
  • Level 2 Charging (240V) = Under 10 hours
  • DC Fast Charging (SAE Combo connector) = 80% in 54 minutes (100 kW charger)
60 hours at Level 1? :eek: I think maybe the included cable just chuckled weakly and died when connected to the car.

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
It'll take just a little longer than 2.5 hours to charge the EV Niro. That's how long it takes to charge the PHEV with it's 8.9kWh pack.

From this link: https://www.chargepoint.com/blog/everything-you-need-know-about-charging-kia-niro-ev-and-phev/

• Level 1 Charging (120V) = 60 hours from empty
  • Level 2 Charging (240V) = Under 10 hours
  • DC Fast Charging (SAE Combo connector) = 80% in 54 minutes (100 kW charger)
60 hours at Level 1? :eek: I think maybe the included cable just chuckled weakly and died when connected to the car.
True, but it's highly unlikely anyone will be charging a e-Niro with a battery that low. And since they are likely starting with at least a 20% charge, the L2 charger would easily top it off overnight, likely in about 6-7 hours. But I agree that no one with an BEV should depend on an L1 charger for normal charging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The L1 charger is really only for the case where you arrive at your destination only to find all chargers are inoperable. You can get about 50 miles of charge over night and that might get you to a real charger. I haven't checked the Niro but the L1 charging was significantly lower efficiency than L2 on my C-Max.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem in my old house. Had an electrician out anyway to put a 220V in the garage for a level 2 charger and at the same time had him rewire and ground the 110 outlet. Now it works (but of course I just use the level 2.)
I suspect as others have said, it's a wiring problem and most likely the outlet isn't grounded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One other thing to consider for those having problems with their house wiring, VW's charger does not work unless the circuit is gfi protected. There's a symbol for that specific fault on the charger. Maybe Kia thinks that might confuse owners and would prefer they consult an electrician, so they just have it throw a generic 'don't work' fault.

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
I believe it is code for all outlets in a garage to be gfi compliant, but not sure when that was added.
Nah, I went through the national electrical code before I installed the 220/50 amp circuit for my daughter's car. There's requirements about being so many inches above the garage floor, but nothing about a GFI on the circuit. I found they do make GFI breakers of that size, but they cost 10 times a normal 50 amp breaker. $105 instead of $10.

My home was built in 1990, and there's no GFI circuits in the garage. To my knowledge they're only required in kitchen and bathroom areas, or outdoor outlets that may get wet. My hot tub (the original use of my 50 amp circuit) didn't have one either, but it had no outdoor connections. Although there is some discussion online about the code being updated as of Jan this year to require it on high powered garage outlets, so my install might not meet the new code. But things like that aren't retroactive, so we're good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts