Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2018 Niro EX Premium plug-in. I’m planning to install a 30 amp outlet in my garage so I can plug in a charging cord like the one from Zencar. One electrician asked why I wouldn’t up the circuit to 40 or 50 amps. My thought is that the onboard charger is only rated at 3.3kW so the car won’t charge any faster at the higher amperage even if I spent the money on a more expensive charging station. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Only future proofing your garage wiring for a high capacity EV. Then you may want even higher than 50 amps. Cost difference, house resale value with a probable attractive feature, and the possibility you will be living there long enough to get an EV should be considered.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yticolev. I think I'll let my future self pay for the future upgrades. To do it now means I not only have to pay for the more expensive charger now but I'd also have to upgrade the 100 amp service (1955) to my house for an EV I don't have. I will put in larger conduit, though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just picked up my 2018 Niro LX PHEV, Im using a 20amp circuit with a ChargePoint Home EVSE. (also a 16A unit). The Niro only allows 3.3kw (16Amp @ 240v) anything higher than that is good for future proofing, but is not needed. 12 GA wire and a 20A circuit.

Your right on the money, no need to spend more if your dont have to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts