Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my first trip using all the smart features on the highway. Was pleased with the lane following which works well mostly. On some stretch of concrete highway, the white lines barely show up and the highway tried to improve this by painting alternate black and white lines which the camera could not reliably follow.
One other situation which was disturbing - when approaching a exit which had a long section leading to the exit where the right line veered to the right before the exit -- the lane following tried to center the car between the left line and the right line which was going to the exit. The result is the car veered to the right toward the dead spot between the exit and the freeway. I had to jerk the car back to the left quickly to keep it in the lane. I do not the LFA would have taken me down the exit but into the dirt between the exit and the freeway.
This happened twice. Maybe it also depends on how the road is curving approaching the ext.
So I have turned off the LFA and just use the LKA so my wife does not question why I am jerking the car around.

One other annoying thing is with the smart cruise control - when passing, on the left, a slow truck on a left hand curve, the cruise control slows down because it sees the large truck in front of you, because it cannot tell that the truck is in the right hand lane .

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Annoying but standard behavior. Personally I turn off smart cruise control every single time I start the car. Then I get to control what happens and it cuts down almost 100% on emergency braking events from the car in front of you turning off the road with no threat to you.

Before I got my Niro, I noticed that there is a trend to painting dashed lines on (especially) interstate entrances. Not so much exits where lane keep does the jerk to the right. These lines look ugly and appear to serve no purpose, but I wonder if highway engineering is adapting to automobile automatic tracking. When you pass entrances already on the interstate with lines, LKA/LFA just keeps going. Without the lines, it turns off for a few seconds without jerking towards the entrance.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
325 Posts
I just touch the accelerator to get back up to speed and then let smart cruise control take over when I have passed the vehicle. Experience with the Active Lane Assist has helped me to know when there may be problem areas and I just steer through them.

I view Smart Cruise Control, Blind Spot Monitoring, Automatic Stopping and Lane Keep Assist as secondary checks for my driving. I do not view them as self driving features or primary devices.

I am the driver and always control the vehicle myself - view the additional safety features as just something extra to make me safer.

Even though I check by turning my head and checking the car mirrors before changing lanes the Blind Spot Monitoring has saved me once from a vehicle that was drifting over that I didn't see.

The rear cross traffic alert also saved my bacon one day while slowly backing out of a congested parking lot between two parked cars from an inattentive driver playing with their phone while going way too fast down the parking aisle.

Although I would never rely or trust these devices to be my primary check they serve an invaluable aid as secondary checks for me. I would not buy a vehicle that didn't have these safety features. We are looking now for a vehicle for our college age child and these driving safety aids will be a primary consideration in our vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my first trip using all the smart features on the highway. Was pleased with the lane following which works well mostly. On some stretch of concrete highway, the white lines barely show up and the highway tried to improve this by painting alternate black and white lines which the camera could not reliably follow.
One other situation which was disturbing - when approaching a exit which had a long section leading to the exit where the right line veered to the right before the exit -- the lane following tried to center the car between the left line and the right line which was going to the exit. The result is the car veered to the right toward the dead spot between the exit and the freeway. I had to jerk the car back to the left quickly to keep it in the lane. I do not the LFA would have taken me down the exit but into the dirt between the exit and the freeway.
This happened twice. Maybe it also depends on how the road is curving approaching the ext.
So I have turned off the LFA and just use the LKA so my wife does not question why I am jerking the car around.

One other annoying thing is with the smart cruise control - when passing, on the left, a slow truck on a left hand curve, the cruise control slows down because it sees the large truck in front of you, because it cannot tell that the truck is in the right hand lane .
If you keep your hands on the wheel you can easily continue to steer and the car will accept your override. Also, the smart cruise control can be easily temporarily overridden by stepping on the gas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts