Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Niro 2016
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently brought a Kia Niro from 2016 and I've notice that when I unlock the doors the lift gate (tail gate / trunk gate) is not opend unless i hold and press "Hold open filt gate" button from my key. Worth mentioning I do not own a smart key, just a regular Kia Niro key with 3 buttons: lock, unlock and hold for oppening the lift gate.
What's even worse is if I have the key in contact (engine is running) the hold to open lift gate button from key is not working. Also the unlock button from the driver droor do not unlock the lift gate either. So with the engine running I don't have any options to oppen the lift gate.
Is this a normal behavior on the Kia Niro, is there a mallfunction? I am expecting to have an option to open the lift gate from inside with the engine running and also if possible to have an option to unlock lift gate with just unlocking the dors.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hello,

I recently brought a Kia Niro from 2016 and I've notice that when I unlock the doors the lift gate (tail gate / trunk gate) is not opend unless i hold and press "Hold open filt gate" button from my key. Worth mentioning I do not own a smart key, just a regular Kia Niro key with 3 buttons: lock, unlock and hold for oppening the lift gate.
What's even worse is if I have the key in contact (engine is running) the hold to open lift gate button from key is not working. Also the unlock button from the driver droor do not unlock the lift gate either. So with the engine running I don't have any options to oppen the lift gate.
Is this a normal behavior on the Kia Niro, is there a mallfunction? I am expecting to have an option to open the lift gate from inside with the engine running and also if possible to have an option to unlock lift gate with just unlocking the dors.
It's normal and a bit weirder than that. As near as I can tell the hatch button on the fob serves only one purpose and that one is of marginal utility at best. If the car is locked and you press and hold the hatch button for a few seconds the lights will flash twice. Now anyone can open the lift gate without needing to have the fob on them (I assume the car locks itself after a short period if the hatch isn't opened, didn't test that). No other doors are unlocked and as soon as the hatch is closed it locks again.

On my '18 if I have the car running, in park, fob in the car and I unlock the doors with the door switch I can then open the liftgate using the handle. Same if I keep the fob in my pocket.

Note that in all cases you only open the hatch using the button inside the handle. The hatch does not pop open when unlocked. The button inside the handle acts the same way a mechanical latch does. That's separate from the lock function which is controlled via the fob or the button in the car.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 2016
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's normal and a bit weirder than that. As near as I can tell the hatch button on the fob serves only one purpose and that one is of marginal utility at best. If the car is locked and you press and hold the hatch button for a few seconds the lights will flash twice. Now anyone can open the lift gate without needing to have the fob on them (I assume the car locks itself after a short period if the hatch isn't opened, didn't test that). No other doors are unlocked and as soon as the hatch is closed it locks again.

On my '18 if I have the car running, in park, fob in the car and I unlock the doors with the door switch I can then open the liftgate using the handle. Same if I keep the fob in my pocket.

Note that in all cases you only open the hatch using the button inside the handle. The hatch does not pop open when unlocked. The button inside the handle acts the same way a mechanical latch does. That's separate from the lock function which is controlled via the fob or the button in the car.
Thank you for you respose jmurphEV, I allways use the button inside the handle to open the lift gate after I unlock it form hatch button key. The problem is if i have the engine running and i press the unlock doors button from the drive door the lift gate is not unlock and also the button inside the handle is not working. I have to stop engine remove the key then press the hatch button to make the lift gate button work.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thank you for you respose jmurphEV, I allways use the button inside the handle to open the lift gate after I unlock it form hatch button key. The problem is if i have the engine running and i press the unlock doors button from the drive door the lift gate is not unlock and also the button inside the handle is not working. I have to stop engine remove the key then press the hatch button to make the lift gate button work.
Oh, you have a physical key / ignition switch is that right? That's different from mine, I have the keyless start setup. Sounds like the behavior might be different on your model. No idea if it's working properly or not. Does the manual shed any light on the situation?

·
Registered
Kia Niro 2016
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, you have a physical key / ignition switch is that right? That's different from mine, I have the keyless start setup. Sounds like the behavior might be different on your model. No idea if it's working properly or not. Does the manual shed any light on the situation?
Indeed, I have a phisical key, about the user manual that comes with the car is in a language that I do not understand.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Indeed, I have a phisical key, about the user manual that comes with the car is in a language that I do not understand.
That makes it harder. A quick search didn't turn up any sources for the 2016 manual. My uneducated guess is that it is designed that way but I could be wrong. I doubt that even a dealer would have detailed info on a 4 year old model. Bummer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts