Kia Niro Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
My average is slowly getting better. I have finally gotten down to the 5.0L/100km. But I imagine that everyone else thinks in MPG so right now I am at 47.0mpg

Now, more interesting for me is the Past 10 fill ups are far better getting in at 4.5L/100km or 52.2mpg. Right now as I purchased at the start of Winter, my average is very much skewed upwards in my fuel usage as this car clearly is not as good in Winter as it is in the Summer.

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
My average is slowly getting better. I have finally gotten down to the 5.0L/100km.
With my 2018 HEV last summer, alway's did between 3.6L to 4.4L all the time! ;) Do you do more highway than city driving ?

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Now, more interesting for me is the Past 10 fill ups are far better getting in at 4.5L/100km or 52.2mpg. Right now as I purchased at the start of Winter, my average is very much skewed upwards in my fuel usage as this car clearly is not as good in Winter as it is in the Summer.
That will hold true for any vehicle. For gas powered cars, colder temps always lower your mileage. With a hybrid we have less battery efficiency as the temperatures drop. Combine the two and we get a double reduction. :D But we still do far better than a gas only rig. ;)

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
With my 2018 HEV last summer, alway's did between 3.6L to 4.4L all the time! ;) Do you do more highway than city driving ?
That is my lifetime Niro average. So in the winter when I am getting in the 5.8-6.5L/100 depending on if we have a cold day or down into the deep freeze, the average goes up. I am hoping that now in the summer when I seem to get in around the 4.0~4.4L/100 the number will come down to be more inline with everyone else.

As to your question. I sadly do more in town shorter trips running things around, getting groceries, picking up and dropping off my kid. I know you're going to say I should have bought the PHEV but it wasn't available when I bought mine. Ontario had just cancelled any rebates for PlugIn or EV cars. and to be totally blunt. I COULD NOT AFFORD ONE!. And now from reading all the people here on the forum with dying batteries, cars just not working, failed left-right and all over parts and they seem to be coming from the Plug-In cars, I am glad that I didn't get one. It might sound harsh, but I am quite happy with my HEV, and the cost difference will pay for an awful lot of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
As to your question. I sadly do more in town shorter trips running things around, getting groceries, picking up and dropping off my kid. I know you're going to say I should have bought the PHEV but it wasn't available when I bought mine. Ontario had just cancelled any rebates for PlugIn or EV cars. and to be totally blunt. I COULD NOT AFFORD ONE!. And now from reading all the people here on the forum with dying batteries, cars just not working, failed left-right and all over parts and they seem to be coming from the Plug-In cars, I am glad that I didn't get one. It might sound harsh, but I am quite happy with my HEV, and the cost difference will pay for an awful lot of fuel.
I realize I've only had mine for just under 3 months, but my PHEV has been flawless so far. But even with your HEV, you are going to get better mileage around town than highway driving. I have reached 32-34 miles EV range when I'm just tooling around town, but get on the highway and the EPA estimate of 26 is pretty much dead on.

I had to negotiate pretty hard to get the lease terms I was willing to accept. But yeah, if I had purchased the cost would have been more than I wanted to pay. Regardless, when my lease is up I am definitely moving to a pure EV. I can't say it will be another Niro, as there will be quite a number of models available by 2022. I'll be retired by then most likely, and where we plan to move to will require a 120 mile trip to see the grandkids. I would like something with the range to make the round trip, but it will be over a mountain pass both ways, so I believe I'll need an honest 250 mile range or better. The e-Niro doesn't quite meet that now, but who knows in a couple more years?

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
But even with your HEV, you are going to get better mileage around town than highway driving. I have reached 32-34 miles EV range when I'm just tooling around town, but get on the highway and the EPA estimate of 26 is pretty much dead on.

I personally don't find that to be true. As I don't drive too often, and when I do go out it usually isn't all that far, the engine seems to suck up gas quite badly as it hasn't had the chance to warm up.

Where I live, I call it a Red Light District. For some reason the planners and city council have some love affair with traffic lights and don't understand the concept of streemlining them so you can drive down a road and get more than 2 green lights in a row. So it is quite a bit of stop and start driving, but they are effectively a highway so the speeds are 70 or 80km so you'd better drive at closer to 90 as everyone in thier gas cars love to rush towards the next red light. (you need to drive at 100 to time the lights to get multiple green, or drive at 50 to time the lights but get killed by road rage others on the road for driving so slow).

Now I say this as when I get onto the highway QEW or one of the 400 series roads, I seem to be able to hold 4.5-4.7L/100 that is reasonable. But the fun part is that you get to really warm up the engine and get it working good. Then when you get off the highway and back into the city driving, your fuel economy improves dramactically over how it was running from cold. So, in my eyes, it looks like highway gets far better fuel economy as it allows the car to warm up. Where the car really shines is rush hour driving into Toronto. There is enough highway faster speed to get the car engine to warm up and for long enough to give the battery a good charge up, then the mix of slow crawl creep forward with bits of getting up to 40-60km. I can get in the 3.6-3.8 for a highway trip into Toronto. So is that highway??

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Yes, that would make sense with the engine not warming up. I wasn't considering that particular scenario. As you noted, one the engine is warm, then your fuel economy should be markedly better in city driving. Cold engines run particularly rich and inefficient, mainly to quickly warm the cat converter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Another Fill-Up 08-10-2019 at 29,230 miles for 486 miles that used 9.57 gallon at $2.149 oer gallon (KROGER Discount of $0.15 per gallon is in the $2.149 price). That figures out at 50.8 MPG for this fill-up.

It's an EX Model with the Electronic Pkg that comes with the Sunroof (GROAN on Sunroof not wanted) and purchased in Feb 2017 as first one on dealers lot.

Primarily driven on County Roads at 35 to 55 MPH and some city driving (typical is say 30%).

NOTE: I reviewed FUELLY graph that shows MPG by MONTH and found JAN, FEB, APR, and JUNE to be the low MPG Months (in the range of 42 to 47 MPG as I remember the graph).

Thinking back on that --

JAN & FEB likely were colder months (it does not get really cold in TN - typically), but JAN we made a trip of of 440 miles (880 some miles RT) to NC using Interstate and HWY routes.

APR we made an Interstate trip to FL of about 600 miles one way (1300 some miles RT).

JUNE we made an Interstate trip to MO of about 440 miles (1300 some miles RT counting a trip to another part of MO that was also an interstate trip).

Conclusion: what I had been complaining about as a MPG drop due to a Computer Update by the dealer does not seem to be the case (it's temperature and hwy speeds of 70 MPH that reduces MPG as one would expect). MPG has returned to normal range of 50MPG +/-.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
Two fill ups within three days, 1st was mostly local county roads and some town / city with a few stops and some traffic for 344 miles.

The 2nd was estimated 60% Interstate (ave 65 MPH) or State Hwys (ave 50 or 55 MPH) for estimated 40% -- total of a 610 mile trip.

1st Fill-Up was at 29574 miles (344 miles distance) and 6.683 Gallon ($2.129 per Gallon) = 51.5MPG. Typical local area MPG.

2nd Fill-Up was at 30184 miles (610 miles distance) and 12.030 Gallon ($2.129 per Gallon) = 50.7MPG. I felt very good for estimated about 370 of that was Interstate at say average of 65MPH, and rest State Hwy miles with three small cities on the route at say average of 50 or 55 MPH).

NOTE Definitely better than earlier in year on trips of MOSTLY Interstate with 43 to 47 MPG.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Another fill up at 30,698 miles for 514 miles of travel used 10.038 Gallon at $0.909 per gallon for 51,2 MPG. Yes, low Price $0.909 due to a $1.35 discount (KROGER bonus Points from Grocery Shopping). Typical use of car - mostly county roads at 35 to 55 MPH and some city / town with some stops and traffic.

Typical use this period of mostly county roads at 35 to 55 MPG and some City / Town with astops and traffic.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Man, you get $1.35 per gallon? The Fred Meyer (Kroger) fuel points we get up here top out at $1.00. But I can't complain. I had a Shell station near me that was doubling my discount for some reason. I was paying $0.39 cents a gallon for diesel, and my cost per mile in a Passat was about $0.02. That was better than I'm getting now in my PHEV. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Man, you get $1.35 per gallon? The Fred Meyer (Kroger) fuel points we get up here top out at $1.00. But I can't complain. I had a Shell station near me that was doubling my discount for some reason. I was paying $0.39 cents a gallon for diesel, and my cost per mile in a Passat was about $0.02. That was better than I'm getting now in my PHEV. :)
First time ever got more than say $0.35 per gallon.

It was weird, we had shopped, bought enough to get over the 100 points and expected $0.10 + $0.05 for using Kroger Card to Pay at the pump.

Wife had commented in front of cashier that we could now buy gas (would had to fill up regardless of price, but now would get the $0.15 discount point).

The cashier said, give me your card back and she did something about 3 times and said, should get $1.30 (add in the $0.05 for using card and was $1.35).

Beats me what took place. :eek:;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Another fill-up on 10-11-2019 at 31,396 miles for 13.13 Gallon and 668 miles.

NOTE: the fill up was 9.63 gallon, but had 3.5 gallon added a few days ago. So, 50.87 MPG based on the total gas of 13.13 gallon.

It is a 2017 EX with the Sunroof PKG for extra safety equipment.

Typical driving this period, mostly county roads at 35 to 55 MPH and some town / city with a few stops and some traffic.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Another fill-up on 10-26-19 at 31,877 miles for 481 miles, used 9.417 Gallon at $2.019 (had a Kroger $0.15 discount). 51.1MPG a bit over average for this car.

Typical driving this period, mostly county roads at 35 to 55 MPH and some town / city with a few stops and some traffic.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Man, even with a $1 Fred Meyer (Kroger) fuel discount, gas around here is still about $2.35. I haven't seen it below $3 at the pump in a very long time.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Download the GasBuddy app for not only lowest prices in your area (in mine, gas price wars seem to rotate certain spots), but also for an interesting national picture of lowest prices in the country. Just looked, $1.89 in Houston. $1.95 in Iowa! Lowest price in WA appears to be $2.86 in Yakima.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Download the GasBuddy app for not only lowest prices in your area (in mine, gas price wars seem to rotate certain spots), but also for an interesting national picture of lowest prices in the country. Just looked, $1.89 in Houston. $1.95 in Iowa! Lowest price in WA appears to be $2.86 in Yakima.
Yakima is 3 hours away over two mountain passes. Not really convenient. :D Gasbuddy reports the average price for regular in my area is $3.66, although the Chevron nearest my home is $3.09. But to use my Fred Meyer points I have to use a Shell or FM gas station.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Another fill-up on 11-13-2019 at 32,384 miles for 507 miles, used 9.854 Gallon at $2.129 (Sam's Club Membership Price) is 51.5MPG a bit over average for this car.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts