Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro LXS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone left their hybrid car sitting for a long period (2-6 mos)? Should I do anything special to keep the car ready to drive? I had a 2000 Nissan XTerra that I needed to disconnect the battery when I parked it for a few months. Then I just reattached the negative cable and all was good again (except resetting the radio stations, trip odometer, etc.)

I just bought a 2020 Niro LXS

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I think you meant to post this in the hybrid forum, this is the EV forum.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The 12 volt battery in the HEV is disconnected automatically if it detects a discharge. You then reconnect it with the battery "reset" button on your dash. This works really well! So you can do nothing if you want. There is a way to disconnect the 12 volt battery manually if you want to take the extra step but I don't think it is needed. It is a lithium battery, if it was lead acid, then for sure you would want to disconnect it.

I'm expecting to park my own HEV for 6 months to a year for an overseas trip in November and the only thing I plan to do is pump my tires up like they do when leaving the factory - less chance of a flat spot when I return. Traditionally you put your car up on stands to reduce potential damage to tires. I think the factory uses 70 psi when they ship cars, I'll use whatever the maximum pressure it says on the tire (plus maybe 10%).

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts