Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced an issue with the rear end of the vehicle getting very loose and "sloppy" on wet roads? I have a 2018 HEV LX, with no lane assist. The only feature on my vehicle in traction control. I drive vehicles for a living and have driven everything from motorcycles to heavy trucks and I have never felt a vehicle that is this "loose" when driving on wet roads with any kind of irregularities. My work car prior to this one was a Mazda 2 which is much smaller and lighter, and it didnt have any of these issues on the same roads. Could it be the Michelin tires? I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I also have a 2018 LX HEV. It's no sports car and does feel a bit wiggly in the rear when turning briskly on irregular pavement. Not noticed any difference on wet roads. Very sure footed on snow! As I understand that feature, a combination of low center of gravity and very good front to rear weight balance. Most cars I've owned have been very tail happy and eager to spin. Not this one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Could be your tires don't have the best grip in the wet, especially if you tend to take your corners quickly. The OEM tires are reasonably good, but not exactly a "rain" tire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
never noticed that but we maybe pass at diferent speed in corners :)
known to have influence are tire pressure and geometry,
a geometry a little out and a car can be totally erratic on wet or snow.
I remember some people with subaru having same complaints... geometry out direct from factory.
it might not be your problem but it is a possibility.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ok, sorry, not familiar with your references for that car (here it's referenced as concept/drive and emotion)

so I guess you don't have michelin pilot sport 3 tires that I have on the 18" wheels therefore it could be normal to have diferent driving experience (not saying it is normal to have that behaviour though)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would get your alignment and rear suspension checked. (Assuming your tires are all in good condition and all the same brand/model/age.)

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
When I bought my first new car (well Sport Utility actually), the Ford Explorer came with a set of wrangler tires stock from the factory. I drove with them for about 9 months and then just had to change them for a different set of tires. I was convinced that the Explorer felt like the rear wheels were losing traction when driving around any corner especially in wet weather. I replaced them with a new set of Michelin LTX M+S and the problem went away. The guy at the tire garage asked me why I was replacing what looked like new tires. I told him they just didn't feel right when driving. He told me he sold an awful lot of the tire I was removing, but wouldn't give me a cent for the tire that was almost unused. Likely he ended up selling them to someone else as new and making a whole load of illegal cash but I am just speculating.

I mention this for two reasons.

1. If you are not happy with the feeling of the car it can be simply that the tires you are using do not agree with the driving conditions and style you have.
2. I just finished reading an article on Flipboard about a guy from BC who tried to sue Continental Tire as he purchased a new set of tires that said they had a 6Y 120,000km lifetime warranty, and they were pretty much defective in less than 30,000km but the tire company refused to do anything. I don't know how much you drive, but you could have actually warn out the tires on your Niro in such as way that you are losing grip and they are not working like they should. have you checked to see what the tread wear is like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tires only have 4500 miles on them. This is occurring on straight roads, not during cornering. It appears I am the only one experiencing these issues. Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
Is this a feeling that you get with other cars? Have you had someone else drive your car and you sit in the passenger seat in wet road conditions and see if you get the same feeling? I got that swishing feeling if I dive in a RangeRover or BMW X. I think it has something to do with the way that the suspension works, but that is all the time and not just on wet roads.

Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I noticed a problem on wet roads the night I picked up my car at the dealer, almost rear-ended someone who stopped quickly on the highway ahead of me. But the tires were not broken in and the road was extra slippery because it was the first rain of the season. In the comparative reviews, the Niro doesn't look that great when it comes to stopping distance (I think this is one of the features that is supposed to be improved in the 2020 model).

But with all that said, if you are noticing a problem, compare your actual tire pressure with the recommended pressure. Many of us have noticed that the car was delivered by the dealer with tire pressure well above the recommended value. I believe that over inflation is likely to be better for fuel economy but worse for braking effect on wet roads.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's been raining like crazy in GA and I haven't had any bad experiences with wet conditions. I have the Touring model with the larger rims and tires but OEM tires so I am not sure if that is making a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just took it to dealer for it's complimentary first oil change. I mentioned the loose suspension issue and they said there is definitely a problem. They are keeping it, hopefully I will hear what the issue is in the morning. I guess I will find out how well Kia honors their warranty. I will let you know what the problem was so others can be aware. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealership just called and said the rear suspension was so bad that they were replacing the rear tires after 4500 miles. They advised the rear suspension was so out of alignment that they contacted KIA because they had never seen anything like it before. They are going to replace any parts that need it and realign everything. Hopefully this was just a car built on a Friday and its not going to be indicative of the overall quality.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dealership just called and said the rear suspension was so bad that they were replacing the rear tires after 4500 miles. They advised the rear suspension was so out of alignment that they contacted KIA because they had never seen anything like it before. They are going to replace any parts that need it and realign everything. Hopefully this was just a car built on a Friday and its not going to be indicative of the overall quality.
good to hear that the cause is fixable and at no charge to you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow this sounds like a car made during the 70s LOL. Glad you dealer was so good and upfront with you, sounds like you got a good dealer. Do you know when your car was made?

·
Registered
372 Posts

Who is your dealer? You should give them kudos (assuming that they do a good job at what they told you they plan to do). Kind of disconcerting news though, and I wonder if this problem might be afflicting other owners who are less astute than you are and maybe don't recognize that they have an actionable problem. I'd be curious to hear what they wind up replacing, if you care to share that information once you get your car back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts