Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folk,
Generally happy with our 2020 Niro PHEV but can anyone explain this. After a full charge if I press the start button but don't press the brake, the vehicle systems power up and I'm told I have the advertised 41km of range. When I actually start the car, I am instantly told that I have 38km of range. This is bugging me since I don't think that starting the car should result in a 3km loss of range.

Am I missing something? Maybe the car's computer calculateS range based on past driving experience, and if so, that might make sense as we've been doing almost no driving in the city but going to the cottage when allowed which is mostly hwy driving at 105-110 kph, on EV until it kicks us into HEV.

Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon
Halifax, NS.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
314 Posts
It is working fine.

When the car is started the meter automatically deducts 3km of range if the A/C or Heater is on.

We have a 2019 Niro PHEV. Full electric range is 26 mi. If the A/C or Heater is on when the vehicle is started 2 mi is automatically deducted from the estimated 26 mi range. If the A/C or Heater is turned off the 2mi electric range are added back on to the estimated range.

Running the temperature control system for the cabin of the vehicle takes electric energy from the Hybrid Battery and the car system automaticaqlly deducts (3km) 2 mi from your estimated range.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John ... appreciate knowing it's not me / our car, just seems strange they'd design it that way. I thought I had turned off the heater and AC but I guess not. I'll see what happens when I do.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,661 Posts
Yep, in US models, we lose two miles of range with the HVAC turned on. The EPA number is based on it being off. That said, I routinely get 30 or more miles with the HVAC on. :)

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Charles, thanks Dan! Will try turning everything off for fun :) I've had a couple of long 30+ mile runs touring the back roads along the coast, and think I will once I begin doing more driving in town (to work, etc.).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts