Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Touring and when you first start it, it idles very loudly. It reminds me of a diesel engine. I asked the service tech and he said it was the fuel pump and they are just loud in the car.
Anyone else noticing this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sounds like the motor sound that kicks on when you first start or when it goes to EV at low speed. That is for pedestrians so they can hear the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine does that also occasionally. My guess is that the battery is low enough to need recharged. So... Race it home the last few blocks, that will charge the battery, when you come to start it up/turn it on, you can drive away on battery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

I would like to ask you about your feelings when you start the car after a long stop (cold engine).
Then the engine goes loud and high speed (uneven work), then it calms down a bit until it is completely switched off and switched to EV.

Is it normal and you watch it too?

Regards,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for 'splaining that, Griswald. I have been annoyed by that racing engine a few seconds after I start because I didn't understand the why, and was ready to take it into the shop to ask.

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts
Thanks for 'splaining that, Griswald. I have been annoyed by that racing engine a few seconds after I start because I didn't understand the why, and was ready to take it into the shop to ask.
Do not forget that the thermal engine on HEV and PHEV is an Atkinson Combustion Cycle and is idle RPM is 1300. So yes, it revs up and makes a good engine noise, even if you are on the EV mode on a PHEV.

Reactions: Lee Williams

·
Registered
68 Posts
a guy on reddit said he had a 2017 niro with a rough sounding engine and the oil was rising on his dipstick. turned out his fuel injectors were bad and ruined his cylinder walls. he got a new car he said.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure where that is in the Owner's Manual, but interesting!

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a new car, jerp777, so that would be unlikely in this situation. (how would bad fuel injectors ruin the cylinder walls? Bad injectors means less fuel = low power).

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a Touring and when you first start it, it idles very loudly. It reminds me of a diesel engine. I asked the service tech and he said it was the fuel pump and they are just loud in the car.
Anyone else noticing this?
YES, OUR TOURING DOES THAT TOO, SOMETIMES, BUT NOT ALL THE TIME. I FIND THE ENGINE IS PRETTY LOUD EVEN WHEN DRIVING..WE HAVE 10K ON IT NOW AND IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING LOUDER...SOUNDS LIKE THE OLD VW BEETLES..SERIOUSLY...WEIRD...OTHER THAN THAT, ITS PERFECT AND WE LOVE IT..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts