Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has performed any maintenance items like for instance changed their own oil?

I am guessing vehilcles are so new - that most ave not and likely take it to the dealer as some offer FREE servcie at laest the first service or for a year. Some posts with pictures would be nice if anyone has looked into it. :D

I will likely take to the dealer at least for first maintenance as it's FREE, but after that I would prefer to do my own. DO WANT to KEEP WARRANTY in affect. 0:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Currently I don't think I've seen anyone that has done any work on their own yet, and it is still extremely fresh so I'm not too sure how long it'll take. But if it'll get posted somewhere, it'll be here on a forum so at least we're in the right place. Much like you, I'll prefer to do my own maintenance after I get past the freebies. Can't imagine it being too difficult though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OIL change

Surely no one has put 7,500 miles on their Niro, the indicated oil change point. Sure there are some purist that will change every 3,000 miles. Just saying.:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I had my Jetta TDI, I changed oil every 10K miles. I asked how that was possible and was told that the oil and filter technology has changed so much that it made changing every 3K unnecessary and a waste of time, money and resources.

Oil changes every7,500 miles seems early to me, but I'll always do what they say!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be sometime before someone does their own (as said - it's new and then there are Freebies).

SO, First guy that shows details here or on U-Tube gets a GOLD STAR.

That and some money between a Nickle and $3 will get you a coffee (depends on where you get the coffee). There is a Marathon on Hwy 411 south of Maryville, TN (Greenback, TN) that has a Nickle Coffee. The small cup - so seldom see anyone buy a large cup when two small cups will do. I sometimes tip them 100 to 200%.

·
Registered
151 Posts
LOL can't go wrong with that offer, that'll light some fire under some people to heave-ho into it ;)

Thankfully though, we're on a forum and that's where you'll find majority of the DIY guys. Someone will tackle it... sometime. Don't people do the oil change early anymore to get rid of the break-in oil?!

·
Registered
57 Posts
MAY we do our own?

This is a question I've had for a while concerning the terms of Kia's warranty: MAY I bring my car elsewhere for maintenance? All the Kia dealerships are a bit of a hike from me, so if I may, I'd prefer to go to a local mom and pop, but not if it'll void the warranty. Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
mom and pop

This is a question I've had for a while concerning the terms of Kia's warranty: MAY I bring my car elsewhere for maintenance? All the Kia dealerships are a bit of a hike from me, so if I may, I'd prefer to go to a local mom and pop, but not if it'll void the warranty. Thanks!
keep the receipts from your mom and pop shop. Kia can't make you go to a dealer for oil changes and maintenance.The question for Niro owners is what shops will have the software and tools to maintain the hybrid systems. Independent shops for hybrids are scarce in these parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easiest oil change you could ask for whats needed (4 quarts of 0W-20 or 5W-20 full synthetic oil, Kia Spin on oil filter, 10 MM socket for covers, and 17 MM socket for plug

I did mine at 5,600 miles instead of waiting for the 7,500.

I used Prime Guard full Synthetic 0W-20 ($19) ( 4 Quarts needed) and a Wix filter ($7.50) (any brand for a Kia Spin on filter will work)

took about 10 Minutes....Stock filter was hard to get off, had to use a filter wrench because it was so tight....but easy enough to access!

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Bwhit --- That's what we need.

I have not looked under the car yet. Probably let dealer do the first one as it's FREE. Reckon I can do it now especially with your pictures.

Did get a bit lost on pictures starting with the 10MM is that the oil drain plug location.

Also, wonder what type oil filter wrench it takes to get Oil Filter off. I will go back and look again and look under car.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 10 mm socket is for removing two covers under the car...both are in a easy to reach location. One cover is for the filter with 3 bolts....the 2nd is for the drain plug with two bolts

The oil filter wrench was just used because it was on so tight...
the style I used can be found if you do an amazon search for oil filter wrench, ($5)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bwit- thanks for the pics on oil change. I looked at an owners manual, and don't recall it requiring synthetic oil. From what I recall,the choices were 0w-20, or 5w-30. Are you using synthetic by choice,or does the manual require it?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have never used Synthetic Oil on anything (cars, trucks, or motorcycles). Hey, I am not saying don't use Synthetic as it apparently has a lot better properties than dinosaur oil.

Just saying, I never have and never had a failure with regular oil.

Been using Castrol for years and use Valvoline for MCs. MC oil has less additives as wet clutches can get messed up with slippery oil. And, WALMART sells Valvoline MC oil for like $3.89 compared to MC Dealers at $6 plus.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kind of disappointed to see that 5 10mm bolts have to be removed to get the aero covers out of the way. With a little thought, the covers could have been 1/4 turn twist off with no tools. The bolts are not user friendly IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a discrepancy here. The manual that came with my Niro (purchased in February) is DIFFERENT than any I've found online with respect to maintenance schedule. The online manual (official KIA NIRO manual, btw) shows a 10k mile interval (15000km). The glovebox manual - 7500 miles.
My local Kia dealership had no idea why the difference. Gas powered KIAs have the same 7500 mile interval.
I'm inclined to go with the WORLD view - especially since our gas engines do not get as much use a a traditional car.
Unfortunately, I got snookered into an oil change at 7500, thinking I had it wrong. But the dealership says with full-synthetic, I can indeed go 10k between changes. AND, the online manual say the SA is 0 or 5 to 30. They put in 0/20.
Anyone have any clarification on this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The online manual you are referencing is likely from another country assuming you're in the USA. In the UK, normal service is required on the Niro every 10,000 miles or every 12 months for the service required in the USA of every 7,500 miles or every 6 months. See reference below. When I was first going to purchase the car I knew the service interval in the UK and was glad I'd only need to service it every year, and was surprised when the service interval was different in the USA. I have no idea why the difference exists however. I would follow the requirement of w/e country you are from since not servicing it within those times can affect your warranty.

http://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/uk/en/assets/static/owners/service-maintenance/72-Kia-Service-Intervals-V1602.pdf

I got an oil change to full synthetic they put 0w20. USA Manual says "0W-20 API SN or ACEA C2".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had my First service done it's 6 months old and have 4770 miles on it was told 5k or 6 months im in Florida ..was told
if i do my own service it could justify my warranty and if i have a mom & pop shop do a service they need to use a OEM oil filter with recipt of service.

Any of you doing your service your self are taking a chance..:eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had my first service free but since I wanted full synthetic they charged me $18. So the service with tire rotation is only about 30-50 I think with blend. And it takes about 40-60 minutes. Although I had to wait an additional 40 minutes since they did not have full synthetic in stock. I think the dealer is worth it since they will also check for any recalls or updates needed.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts