Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Maintenace Items like Oil Change Procedures -- Searching for INFO

36K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  PAULRIDES 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has performed any maintenance items like for instance changed their own oil?

I am guessing vehilcles are so new - that most ave not and likely take it to the dealer as some offer FREE servcie at laest the first service or for a year. Some posts with pictures would be nice if anyone has looked into it. :D

I will likely take to the dealer at least for first maintenance as it's FREE, but after that I would prefer to do my own. DO WANT to KEEP WARRANTY in affect. 0:)

#34 ·
Thanks to BWHIT for the first "How To Do Oil Change" and to HANOIHANCOCK for the Video on "How To Do Oil Change" cause it made it easier for me.

Not much I can add to their INFO -- maybe something here to help someone.

EASIER, but messed with it for about 3 Hours cause did not have the oil filter wrench size needed to take the original oil filter off (It's about 81MM size). After trying everything I could, I gave up and called the neighbor. He had the wrench, should have called earlier GROAN.

Anyway, the rest of the oil change was easy enough.

I use 2 x 8s (three stack) to get car up for access to the Filter and Darin Plug.

Take the Oil Fill Cap off to help the drain process.

As BWHIT stated, takes a 10MM socket to get the covers for the Oil Filter and the Drain Plug off. It's easy to take off the covers.

As BWHIT stated, it takes a 17MM socket for the drain plug. That thing was so tight I could not break it loose with about a foot long drive for the socket (laying under the car is not the best position to apply force to the wrench). I finally resorted to a breaker bar that was barely able to get on the socket and drain plug.

BTW, as someone else reported, pretty much took a wrench to get the drain plug out and back in. The threads are too tight for hand turning (almost thought the dang thing was cross threaded or something).

I had bought Oil (Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30 in a 5 quart container) for $21.98 plus tax, a FRAM TG9688 Filter for $8.99 plus tax, and a 75mm oil filter wrench for the FRAM Filter for $3.33 plus tax --- all at WALMART.

I tried about everything I could think of except to run a screwdriver thru the filter to get the Oil Filter off. FINALLY, called a neighbor that is into cars and he had a 81MM wrench that fit the original Oil Filter.

I did use a funnel to add oil and a rag around the area in case of a spill.

By the way, I recommend filling the new Oil Filter with oil (it takes awhile to fill it -- add oil and let it settle and add more). I also run a little new oil into the engine with the drain plug off to make sure all the old oil is out.

PICTURES - Pretty well show the rest of the process.

Attachments

#39 ·
Can't remember why I went with 5w-30, maybe only 5w-30 available at Valvoline price.

Manual

Page 9/6 says 0W-20

Page 9/7 shows temperature chart
10W-30 0F to 120F BTW, all I have ever used in any car (Dinosaur Oil)

0/5W-20, 5W-30 -20F to 120F

I don't consider it a big deal.

#36 ·
So, yesterday as I was pulling in to my driveway I hit 1000 miles on the odometer, and a message that I needed an oil change popped up on the screen. This is the first new car I've ever had that couldn't wait until at least 3500 miles before needing an oil change.

#40 ·
Heavier weight oil reduces efficiency and has no benefit. Many manufacturers are specifying 0/20 now. It is one of many small changes that result in higher mpg, but most changes appear insignificant on their own. I think all are important. My first service is free, but I will be verifying that the proper oil is used.

#43 ·
Those factory robots don't have hands. Several people have reported buying very expensive oil wrench to remove filter for the first service. I suspect that it would be difficult if only slightly too tight as you cannot put your hand around it through the oil filter cover. I don't even own a oil filter wrench, but think I'm going to have to get one for this car. I've always used a large locking plier, but sometimes have to crunch the filter even so to get it off. It was like that for my first change on a Honda motorcycle. Drain nut reported as too tight on the Niro and Ioniq as well. I'm letting the dealer do the first service and then I should be good to go.

#45 ·
Oil filter wrench not expensive (Think mine at Walmart was like $3.xx plus tax). But I bought one to fit the new filter (FRAM) and found out the one on the car (dealer did first oil change and I assume original equipment same part was different size. Fortunately -- neighbor had one to fit. TALKING the type that goes onto the bottom of the filter and has a slot for a 3/8 drive.

Can't imagine a chain type working as would be hard to get it up above the cover. Not much room for your hand or a handle up above that cover. That said, I admit -- never used a chain type in my life, but I would investigate before going to buy a chain type.

There is an adjustable that goes on from the bottom supposedly fit any filter. Neighbor had one of those also, but since he had the one that fit -- I used that.

Also, I disagree with a couple previous statements (may true for them, but not for my NORO:
1) The oil filter was very tight - no way could break it loose with hand as hard to get a grip on it thru the cover hole (I add DEALER did my first Oil Change -supposed changed it).
2)The Drain Plug was also very tight. I had a socket with about a foot long drive -- laying under the car, I could not get enough torque to break it loose despite having a pretty good angle on it. I used about a 2 foot Breaker Bar and was barely able to get it on the plug -- but did break it loose easily) I do agree about using a wrench to screw it out and back in (very little area you could turn it by hand). It's a tight thread fit as well as being over tight to start with -- make you think you have it cross threaded.

#48 ·
1) The oil filter was very tight - no way could break it loose with hand as hard to get a grip on it thru the cover hole (I add DEALER did my first Oil Change -supposed changed it).
I ended up just removing the whole belly pan and that gave me enough room to get a strap wrench on the filter. The pan comes off pretty easily with several captive fasteners and a couple of screws.

Hopefully since I didn't Conan(tm) the new filter on I'll be able to just reach up through the access panel and get it off by hand. There isn't a lot of room though, so I can see that continuing to be a challenge. Oh well. Taking the belly pan off gives me a chance to look at the underside of the powertrain and look for leaks and such. :)

#46 ·
Does anyone know how to change the engine clutch actuator fluid? When I log onto the Kia Owners website and look at the maintenance section for the Kia Niro, you can look at the schedule and associated dealer costs. For me, it shows the 22,500 service to be $138.85 and includes an oil change, tire rotation and changing the engine clutch actuator fluid. A tire rotation and oil change is $48.90, so I'm guessing just changing the actuator fluid is about $90 and I would think it's simple, but I can't find any guide on doing it.

#54 ·
I am near ready to change oil again Dealer did the first one.

I did the second and had to borrow oil filter wrench from neighbor cause the KIA Brand filter is a bit larger diameter than the one I had (mine is for FRAM Filter). Filter was very tight and so was the Pan Plug (used a breaker bar cause couldn't get a good position crawling under car to use normal wrench)

Third change done by dealer as had a coupon for like $9 change -- then they charged me $18 (irritated cause I called there and the girl went and asked service if the charge was only the $9 -- answered my question, then charged me more). Stuff like that gripes me.

I will be doing the fourth with procedure I posted on here when I did the 2nd change and also another poster posted his procedure. Pictures as well.

IN CASE anyone is hunting for a procedure. 0:)

#55 ·
Did my second oil Change (23,047 miles) -- 4th for the car as dealer did the 1st and third, I did 2nd.

Total cost $35.72 with one quart oil left over. WALMART purchase 5 quart container of VALVOLINE 0w-20 Synthetic @ $22.97 and FRAM XG9688 Filter @ $9.63 ---- plus tax on both.

Easier this time than last time, but I still fiddled around near 2 hours getting things together and out of the basement up to the garage, putting car on board ramps and putting everything back in basement when done.

I borrowed in advance the neighbors wrench that fits the KIA Oil Filter which was installed by the dealer on 3rd oil change (The KIA filter takes a bigger wrench than the one I have for the FRAM filters).

I had in hand the 10MM socket (for removing cover shields) and 17MM socket (for removing pan nut), as well as a 3 inch extension, and ratchet and non-ratchet wrenches with drives to fit the sockets and the oil filter wrench.

The oil filter and pan nut were tight again, but not as bad as the last time I did oil change 2 after dealer had done oil change 1 (a gorilla tightened down the oil filter and drain plug - GROAN).

Put the car on board ramps (3 high 2 x 8s) which is barely enough to get under the car.

Repeat pictures I posted on my second oil change.

Attachments

#59 ·
Been a lot of recent posts on Actuator Fluid replacement.

While DIY using method of suck reservoir dry and refill (maybe do it three times in say 300 miles) is not gonna do it like a dealer would (assuming the dealer has equipment and know what he is doing), I AM GONNA STAY with the suck and refill and hope.

partly based on fact one guy has over 100,000 miles and never changed it.

Reservoir is right center and at the radiator. Says DOT 3 or DOT 4 on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.