Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Has anyone updated their maps yet? I assume that you must have this done at the dealer?
I think you can just go here:

https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/ (at least in the US)

and buy a new SD card with the latest maps, might be a download option too. I've never bothered as I use my phone for navigation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got an email about this and it took me to that link. I use CarPlay so don't care about the built in nav, but I am miffed that I have to pay $145 to get the updates mentioned:

"Along with the new map and points of interest, the map update includes refinement of the system including routing, functionality, and overall ease-of-use. The update also includes the latest Android Auto and Apple CarPlay software."

I haven't pulled the trigger since I don't know the specifics of the updates and if they would benefit me or not..

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got an email about this and it took me to that link. I use CarPlay so don't care about the built in nav, but I am miffed that I have to pay $145 to get the updates mentioned:
Most, if not all, factory NAV systems charge for map updates. Heck, my old Garmin cost me $150 to update a few years ago. The only reason I did that was to get the latest Euro maps for a vacation in the days before I had a phone that worked overseas.

Just be thankful you don't have a REALLY old factory Nav. The one in my 2005 Audi S4 is DVD based :)eek:) and each disc only covers a limited area. For example, the one I have only covers Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. Each additional DVD is over $100. That hurts. Plus, the Nav is in the trunk behind a panel, so changing discs is not something you can do while driving. :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I get that and would not mind paying for map updates if I used them. I feel like the CarPlay update should be free like iOS updates though. I assume it fixes some bugs, etc. but the release notes are not specific.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Kias in Europe gets free map updates. Seems strange that they charge us here. Probably some law in Europe that requires map updates to be free.

Android Auto just announced a big update to their program. I saw a video of the new system and it looks nice. I thought it was an app update to get it, not a car update. Guess I'll see this summer.

·
Super Moderator
808 Posts
I just traded a Subaru Outback for my new Niro, and Subaru offered free updates for 3 years. I could even download the file and install it myself from a USB stick. But yeah, I use Car Play so no real need for paying for map updates. Firmware updates are another matter. Perhaps Kia will cover those under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
521 Posts
The time that having an updated map would come in handy is if you are traveling out of country. For the US people who visit Canada, or us Canadian's going to the US for a visit. The cost of out of country cell can get pretty expensive for no real reason. Then you will want to have a built in NAV.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Most of the current plans on the major US wireless providers include Canada and Mexico.
Google's Fi service offers coverage in just about every country you can name for $10/GB. I've used it in Canada, and Europe and it totally rocks. It's not a great deal if you use a ton of data though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use the Nav when I am traveling locally but mostly use Android Auto when I am traveling far away. I noticed that it is not very up to date on several occasions. I will not pay for the updates because it's just not worth when you can use android auto or CarPlay for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts