Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep thinking about how this car is different from almost all ICE's. We've been having some nice hot weather around my area and I've been using the A/C a bit. While I was sitting in a parking lot, the car was in the 'ON' position but the ICE was not running but the A/C kept pumping out cold air.
This leads me to think that the A/C compressor must be electric instead of belt driven. It also rumbles a bit in that situation.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
125 Posts
I keep thinking about how this car is different from almost all ICE's. We've been having some nice hot weather around my area and I've been using the A/C a bit. While I was sitting in a parking lot, the car was in the 'ON' position but the ICE was not running but the A/C kept pumping out cold air.
This leads me to think that the A/C compressor must be electric instead of belt driven. It also rumbles a bit in that situation.

Any thoughts???
How long were you sitting in the car? I've done this a few times and after a minute or two the engine has kicked on, I'm guessing to help keep it cold air.

·
Registered
467 Posts
"""How long were you sitting in the car? I've done this a few times and after a minute or two the engine has kicked on, I'm guessing to help keep it cold air."""

NJ Niro --

I would say the engine starts to recharge the battery. Battery of course discharges when sitting with anything running and I expect quickly if AC is running.

I was siting waiting for my wife (she was in WALGREENS Drug Store for a short time) and listening to music with system on (dash lights, etc.). Eventually (maybe 5 minutes) the engine started, I noticed the battery was down to say 40%.

By the way, if you run on Accessories Only (say for radio) -- you get a warning that you may discharge the battery and recommendation you turn the system on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I set in the car for over an hour with the A/C running in 90 degree heat and the engine would start and maybe run for just 2 or 3 min's and then shut off for around 15 min's and then back on for 2 or 3 min's. I think the heater is going to work the same way as we did have a couple of days that was around 20 degrees and it worked the same way..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts