Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the ICE starter in the Niro. It has to start dozens or even hundreds of times a day; from standstill and also at speed. Does the car use a regular 12 volt starter motor or does the synchronous motor do the job? Maybe both?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The starter/generator starts the ICE via a belt. Neither Hyundai nor Kia have any white papers or animated videos showing the operation of their hybrid drive for the Ioniq/Niro unfortunately. The Sonata hybrid uses the same P2-style hybrid drive system (except that the Niro/Ioniq use a DCT), however, and there is a good animated video showing operation:

·
Registered
291 Posts
At most replacing a belt like this at the dealer should take about an hours worth of labor. Not that much of a cost to us. Given all the other great things Hyundai/Kia has to offer its what i'm personally willing to deal with. Can't say the same for General Motors :D
ac

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I had a look at the video and I looked
under the hood, and sure enough there's a generator there.
I still find it curious that there is need for a generator when the big Li ion battery is charged by the sync motor.
There is no lead-acid 12 volt battery used as far as i know. I've heard that they have taken a little slice of the big battery to do the 12 volt work. Also, I've listened to radio while the ignition is in 'acc' mode and a notice comes up almost immediately suggesting that I run the engine so not to discharge the battery.
I wonder what the watt-hour rating of the 12 volt slice is??

Just one more thing, the generator appears to be liquid cooled! There are a couple of hoses connected to the body of the generator (even shown in the video). That should be a very high output device if it needs liquid cooling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you look under the hood on the drivers side, there is a small 12 volt battery. I believe if the big battery should go down, this one is to start the car back up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you look under the hood on the drivers side, there is a small 12 volt battery. I believe if the big battery should go down, this one is to start the car back up.
North American versions of the Niro have no pb-acid 12-v battery. Instead, they use a lithium-polymer 12-v (that's covered by the traction battery warranty.). The 12-v lipo battery is located in the traction battery enclosure but separate from the traction battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that diagram! Perhaps we can draw an estimate from it....
Physically it looks to be about 1/5 the size overall. Specs say it's a 1.56kwh battery. One fifth of that would be 312kwh. If it is kept at 50 - 75% charge .... then around 152 to 234 kwh.
I wonder what a regular lead acid car battery has using kwh?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Ioniq has the same battery set up as the Niro, as it should since the two cars are mechanically similar. The Prius has had the hybrid start/stop mechanism for years and no major issues. This gives me some comfort that this shouldn't be a worry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts