Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2017 Kia Niro touring. I noticed there’s been a significant decline on what the vehicle is reporting as the aver MPG. The Hybrid Batteries are charged at a minimum of 50% at any given time. Does that impact my gas mileage? Also what’s the fastest way to charge the hybrid batteries to full strength? I’ve yet to achieve that threshold

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,661 Posts
Under most driving conditions, the hybrid battery remains between 30-70% charge. You never see it fully charged unless you're going down a long hill using regen to hold your speed. That is all completely normal for a standard hybrid. A PHEV of course allows charging to 100% from the wall, but that's a different animal from a standard hybrid. You actually don't want the battery at 100%, as then there's no space for storing any regen energy.

How are you basing the reported MPG as declining? Have you owned it for more than a year, so comparing to past performance? Or simply comparing your results to reports you read online? Driving a hybrid for maximum MPG isn't the same as a regular ICE power car. Also remember that any demand for cabin heat will cause the engine to run more often. And unlike a PHEV, a hybrid will still use the engine for the majority of its motivation.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I’ve got a regular HEV hybrid Niro and I see the MPG drop in the winter time due to the heater running, and in the summer time due to the A/C running. This is normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Under most driving conditions, the hybrid battery remains between 30-70% charge. You never see it fully charged unless you're going down a long hill using regen to hold your speed. That is all completely normal for a standard hybrid. A PHEV of course allows charging to 100% from the wall, but that's a different animal from a standard hybrid. You actually don't want the battery at 100%, as then there's no space for storing any regen energy.

How are you basing the reported MPG as declining? Have you owned it for more than a year, so comparing to past performance? Or simply comparing your results to reports you read online? Driving a hybrid for maximum MPG isn't the same as a regular ICE power car. Also remember that any demand for cabin heat will cause the engine to run more often. And unlike a PHEV, a hybrid will still use the engine for the majority of its motivation.
I’ve owned for the last three months. My first fill up I had over 500 miles to empt. Recently it was 485 miles. The car system is reporting about 42 MPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve got a regular HEV hybrid Niro and I see the MPG drop in the winter time due to the heater running, and in the summer time due to the A/C running. This is normal.
So running A/C impacts mileage?? I always thought A/C had no impact on Gas Efficiency

·
Registered
240 Posts
A/C takes a lot of power to run regardless of the type of engine it is connected to. Many years ago a buddy was dynoing his car and left the A/C on accidentally. For some reason the compressor did not turn off when they went full throttle. He then noticed the problem, turned it off, and made another dyno pull. His 100 hp car lost 8 horsepower with the A/C on!!!

On the Niro, the compressor is ran by an electric motor if I remember right. That takes power to run and the power comes from the traction battery pack. So the ICE has to run more frequently to keep the traction battery charged.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,661 Posts
Yes, the A/C is electrically driven, but that energy has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the running engine. Even regen power is originally coming from the engine, which moves the car in the first place.

42 MPG may be good or bad. It all depends on the driving conditions. A hybrid will get better mileage at slower speeds and stop/go conditions within town than at steady speeds on the highway. This is generally the opposite of a non-hybrid. So if you do a lot of freeway driving, particularly if 70+ MPH is a typical speed, then 42 isn't a bad number.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, it depends on outside temperature, distances, town/highway and pressure on the gas pedal, my HEV runs between 40 and 62 MPG ...

Reactions: Alan

·
Registered
13 Posts
my '19 LX has been averaging 55-58mpg on the last few tanks even with half of it highway miles at 75mph...
i am right around 30k miles now and its weird how its actually improved a lot since the car was new, or i'm just getting better at being one with the accelerator.
typically filling the tank after 600 miles while it still shows 30 left. it is kinda warm though

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
118°? Mpg peaks about 80-85° ambient. So you are not getting the best yet out of your car! No doubt you will do better when the weather is cooler.

Are you calculating mpg or using the optimistic display estimate? My LX typically overstates mpg by 3 (although my last fill up was a never seen before 6 mpg over) versus calculated. Best calculated mpg for me is 59 mpg (displayed is 62 mpg) achieved in 80-85° ambient no faster than 65 mph. I do see a relative drop in higher than 85° on the estimated displayed trip mpg, however I have thankfully never spent a whole tank at those kind of temperatures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased a 2017 Kia Niro touring. I noticed there’s been a significant decline on what the vehicle is reporting as the aver MPG. The Hybrid Batteries are charged at a minimum of 50% at any given time. Does that impact my gas mileage? Also what’s the fastest way to charge the hybrid batteries to full strength? I’ve yet to achieve that threshold
I have a 2017 ex, we love it The a/ c is fully electric,and many times due to covid I couldn't go in to my wifes Doctors appointments with her so living here in Florida I sit in the car with the a/ c running to keep me cool, the gasoline engine will start about every 10-15 minutes and run for 2 min to bring the battery back up, and then stop, I can drive around town and never have the gas engine run unless I stomp on the gas my average is around 50 mpg, and have been cruising on the interstate at 65 on electric, it's fabulous, and we love the car , often times we carry 2 medical scooters inside and it doesn't even affect the mileage.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
118 Posts
rkeon27, if by "I purchased a 2017 Kia Niro touring. I noticed there’s been a significant decline on what the vehicle is reporting as the aver MPG." you mean that the Niro is reporting mileage lower than it is actually getting, I have definitely found this to be true. Mine reads about 8% higher than the actual mileage, and while most cars I've had read high, it's usually by only 3% or so. I'm sure it's just an innocent factory "calibration" error. ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2017 Kia Niro touring. I noticed there’s been a significant decline in what the vehicle is reporting as the aver MPG. The Hybrid Batteries are charged at a minimum of 50% at any given time. Does that impact my gas mileage? Also, what’s the fastest way to charge the hybrid batteries to full strength? I’ve yet to achieve that threshold
Dan is absolutely right, even my 2019 Niro LX hybrid does the same, I have put 50K miles already and the only time battery fully charges is when I go downhill for like 4, 5 miles while lightly pressing on brakes.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
118 Posts
Dan is absolutely right, even my 2019 Niro LX hybrid does the same, I have put 50K miles already and the only time battery fully charges is when I go downhill for like 4, 5 miles while lightly pressing on brakes.
Funny, when we picked up my wife's Niro, it had been driven from out of state (about 70 miles), and the charge indicator was at 100%. I figured it was supposed to be, but of course it's never been near that since. Wonder why it was that way on pickup?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Funny, when we picked up my wife's Niro, it had been driven from out of state (about 70 miles), and the charge indicator was at 100%. I figured it was supposed to be, but of course it's never been near that since. Wonder why it was that way on pickup?
Sport mode on the whole 70 miles no doubt. You can do that yourself, but your mpg will drop because burning gas to charge is less efficient that regeneration.

In any case, much of the time the engine is on, it is charging. You can see the second by second current status on the energy flow diagram. However, the car's algorithms are matching such charging to most efficient total use of power. You need some level of charge for example to go up hills efficiently adding motor to engine power. For normal driving (not in Sport mode), you should see the charge indicator close to half full most of the time. There are some driving conditions that may result in the charge being closer to 3/4 full, or quite low. But these are exceptions.

Lithium ion batteries also get the best life when average charge is around 50%, another reason not to use Sport mode to increase battery charge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
118°? Mpg peaks about 80-85° ambient. So you are not getting the best yet out of your car! No doubt you will do better when the weather is cooler.

Are you calculating mpg or using the optimistic display estimate? My LX typically overstates mpg by 3 (although my last fill up was a never seen before 6 mpg over) versus calculated. Best calculated mpg for me is 59 mpg (displayed is 62 mpg) achieved in 80-85° ambient no faster than 65 mph. I do see a relative drop in higher than 85° on the estimated displayed trip mpg, however I have thankfully never spent a whole tank at those kind of temperatures.
i am hitting 600miles on the tripometer before refilling while still showing around 30 left, but by then the dash keeps flashing warnings about fueling up to protect the battery.
when i do travel on the freeway (i have two reoccuring 25-35mile routes i do twice a week usually),, i know exactly what sections will allow me to drop it into, and keep it in EV mode even at 75mph.
most of my local driving is on 45mph roads where is it super easy to keep it in EV from the time you get it up to 50 until the next stoplight. ive had entire 10 miles trips to the post office and back where the trip average was 70-75mpg. 5% afternoon humidity means no water vapor in the engine intake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts