Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, there was a discusdion about oil change interval and the topic of EV miles vs ICE miles came up. I stated that I would buy an hour meter and report back.

Installed hour meter 4/13/2019 with 33,281 miles on my odometer. Since then, I hit 1000 today, 1016 exactly on 5/2/2019. The hour meter shows 15.1 hours. My trip meter B which I have never reset, shows 46 MPH average since new.

Doing the math, here are my numbers:
1016 miles in 19 days
1016 miles @ 46 MPH = 22.1 total run time.
22.1 hours total - 15.1 ICE = 7.0 EV.
15.1 is 68% of 22.1, which is 690 miles ICE
7.0 is 32% of 22.1, which is 326 miles EV

So, a 7500 mile oil change is just about 5100 miles on the oil. Guess Kia had that figured pretty good!
At 10000 miles, the oil would only be 6900 miles old.

P.S. The meter is a single wire wrapped around a spark plug lead and a piece of 2-sided tape and only cost $10.

·
Registered
395 Posts
A while back, there was a discusdion about oil change interval and the topic of EV miles vs ICE miles came up. I stated that I would buy an hour meter and report back.

Installed hour meter 4/13/2019 with 33,281 miles on my odometer. Since then, I hit 1000 today, 1016 exactly on 5/2/2019. The hour meter shows 15.1 hours. My trip meter B which I have never reset, shows 46 MPH average since new.

Doing the math, here are my numbers:
1016 miles in 19 days
1016 miles @ 46 MPH = 22.1 total run time.
22.1 hours total - 15.1 ICE = 7.0 EV.
15.1 is 68% of 22.1, which is 690 miles ICE
7.0 is 32% of 22.1, which is 326 miles EV

So, a 7500 mile oil change is just about 5100 miles on the oil. Guess Kia had that figured pretty good!
At 10000 miles, the oil would only be 6900 miles old.

P.S. The meter is a single wire wrapped around a spark plug lead and a piece of 2-sided tape and only cost $10.
thx, for $10 I might get one.

Until then, I'm tracking my gas purchases and multiplying by 45mpg to estimate ICE miles.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update at nearly 5000 miles
Total miles = 4991
Total hours = 73.4
4991 miles at 46 mph average = 108.5 total running hours
108.5 - 73.4 = 35.1 hours on battery
3376.4 miles on gasoline
1614.6 miles on battery

67.65% ICE and 32.35% battery

Overall percentages on ICE have gone up a tiny bit possibly due to the unbearably long stretches of 100+ degree days using the air conditioning.

Still the best $10 you can spend.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its called DiscoGoods waterproof digital lcd inductive marine motorcycle ATV snowmobile marine boat hour meter.

Its $9.99 on Amazon now, it was $9.86 when I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/discoGoods-Waterproof-Inductive-Motorcycle-Snowmobile/dp/B01LXRVC1I

Note that while it doesn't require a power connection to the car, it does contain CR2032 battery with an expected life of two years. One reviewer states the battery isn't replaceable, but that would seem odd. I don't know why they would tell you the type of battery if it weren't replaceable. No idea either if the meter resets to zero when the battery is replaced.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess for $5 a year, the battery doesn't really concern me. If it dies, I'll just buy another one.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Something is wrong here. My HEV is not in EV one third of the time. I don't have that documented, just simple observation of the displays. In addition, it is not logical. Regen recovery and use of that recovered energy tops out at 15%. How much of your trip is even slowing or going down a hill fast enough to be in regen mode? Then only 15% of that is useable.

To be in EV mode a full one third of the time would require a lot of charging by engine of the battery - which is inefficient versus simple engine direct propulsion. Further, a lot of the battery power goes towards assisting the engine on uphills or acceleration needs per flowchart display. Hard to imagine there is still enough EV power to have the engine off one third of the time.

Looking at the Amazon reviews, there were some hints of possible issues. One is adding wire length. Another is not having enough loops around the spark plug wire. Either one could result in intermittent loss of signal.

I might be wrong here, especially if all of your hybrid use is in the city with constant slowing (engine off) and accelerating/constant speed (some of which will be EV). But it just doesn't seem possible in my own use in mixed highway/city driving.

I've never read of the Niro having cylinder deactivation (usually on engines with at least 6 cylinders) so that is probably not relevant.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Something is wrong here. My HEV is not in EV one third of the time. I don't have that documented, just simple observation of the displays. In addition, it is not logical. Regen recovery and use of that recovered energy tops out at 15%. How much of your trip is even slowing or going down a hill fast enough to be in regen mode? Then only 15% of that is useable.

To be in EV mode a full one third of the time would require a lot of charging by engine of the battery - which is inefficient versus simple engine direct propulsion. Further, a lot of the battery power goes towards assisting the engine on uphills or acceleration needs per flowchart display. Hard to imagine there is still enough EV power to have the engine off one third of the time.

Looking at the Amazon reviews, there were some hints of possible issues. One is adding wire length. Another is not having enough loops around the spark plug wire. Either one could result in intermittent loss of signal.

I might be wrong here, especially if all of your hybrid use is in the city with constant slowing (engine off) and accelerating/constant speed (some of which will be EV). But it just doesn't seem possible in my own use in mixed highway/city driving.

I've never read of the Niro having cylinder deactivation (usually on engines with at least 6 cylinders) so that is probably not relevant.
I think a round trip to higher elevation and back could show 50% ev could it not? Ice up, motor down.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nowhere in this discussion did the possibility of both EV and ICE running together or regen actions come up.

All the meter can tell is that the ICE is ON or OFF. And, YES, I did install it per the directions, 5 or 6 turns around the COP HT lead and no extension of the wire. I have no reason to believe that the meter is not accurate.

This exercise only tells me how long the ICE is running and nothing else. All of the math is based on my driving style and historical records.

P.S. I drive between 60 and 100 miles a day on a 4 lane limited access highway with my cruise control set to 61 or 62 (which for this crappy cruise control can be anywhere between 59 and 65). I would say 90% is highway and 10% is city.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good info Gris: I don't recall if you have an HEV or PHEV and which model (be nice to have that in your profile) . Please let us know and also let us know what your average lifetime MPG is. Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I'm back with my 10000 mile report.

October 8, 2019
10008 miles
151.3 running hours.

So, using the same assumption as last time (my driving style has not changed):
151.3 hours x 46 mph = 6959.8 miles on ICE
10008 - 6959.8 = 3048.2 miles on battery?

That's very close to 70/30.

Anyone with different driving conditions want to use my meter, let me know and I will give it to you. All you will need is 2 sided tape and a couple of zip ties.

I'd really like to see if differences between driving styles or models changes the 70/30 ratio.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts

October 8, 2019
10008 miles
151.3 running hours.

Anyone with different driving conditions want to use my meter, let me know and I will give it to you. All you will need is 2 sided tape and a couple of zip ties.

I'd really like to see if differences between driving styles or models changes the 70/30 ratio.
At least for me, with the colder weather (was freezing this morning) the engine is going to run a lot for cabin heat, so I doubt that ratio would hold. I know while the weather was warm I would go many days with the ICE never starting at all. The ratio back then was probably more like 30/70 or lower for engine time. I would expect through the winter I'll be closer to 90/10 with the demands for heat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't forget that when your waiting at a red light, or turned your car on but haven't moved, or are about to turn it off. The engine isn't running. I don't know how much my engine is running, but my monthly report (I've only gotten 1 so far) said that 17% of my time with the car "running" I was not moving. And I consider myself by far a lot better than average for not turning the car on before use. I don't let the car warm up, don't fiddle with a cell phone or anything. I suspect the average user has a lot more "idle" time.

I have a PHEV and don't have a clue what my ICE usage is. But using the gas usage by some fuel usage seems to be a reasonable way to get an estimate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
miles vs hours

October 8, 2019
10008 miles
151.3 running hours.

Since there is no wire leading from the coil to the spark plug, can you please provide picture how you installed the inductive sensor wire over the coil. I suppose you used the one visible under the edge of the air intake cover.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wrapped trigger wire 4 times around coil body per installation instructions.

1st coil from the passenger side. I totally removed it, but I don't think it was necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Miles vs hours

On my 2017 HEV just finished6385 miles of Interstate driving in 100.5 hours of vehicle “ON”with only minimal idle time, no unnecessary stops, very few traffic lights and only somestops due to road construction and rests. The ICE counter recorded76.5 hours of running time, that equals to approximately 24% ofrunning time for idle and electric propulsion.
On the trip I have encounteredall types of winter weather including heavy rain, snow and sleet withwinds up to 50 MPH with temperature most of the time below freezing,minimum 11F and maximum 60F. I have used SCC set to 70 MPH wheneverit was possible, climate control in AUTO mode set to 70-73F and tiresinflated to 36 PSI. The vehicle used 140.906 gallons of gasolineresulting in 45.3 MPG at average speed of 63.5 MPH.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On my 2017 HEV just finished6385 miles of Interstate driving in 100.5 hours of vehicle “ON”with only minimal idle time, no unnecessary stops, very few traffic lights and only somestops due to road construction and rests. The ICE counter recorded76.5 hours of running time, that equals to approximately 24% ofrunning time for idle and electric propulsion.
On the trip I have encounteredall types of winter weather including heavy rain, snow and sleet withwinds up to 50 MPH with temperature most of the time below freezing,minimum 11F and maximum 60F. I have used SCC set to 70 MPH wheneverit was possible, climate control in AUTO mode set to 70-73F and tiresinflated to 36 PSI. The vehicle used 140.906 gallons of gasolineresulting in 45.3 MPG at average speed of 63.5 MPH.

Since I am in NC, we don't get the same kind of bad weather, so my 70/30 is pretty close to your 76/24 with weather correction factored in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm getting the impression that for many Niro owners, the ICE usage is generally around 2/3rd or less of the total miles on their car - higher for HEV owners, less for PHEV owners (less than 50% for many?). That would mean that the ICE engine is just getting nicely broken (5,000 miles) in at 8,000 10,000 miles on the odometer. Seems like it should be very free of problems for most up to at least 100K or more.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts