Kia Niro Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread, thanks to everyone for posting.

I'm looking to upgrade the speakers without adding a new AMP, has anyone measured the stock impedance? Is it 2 Ohms?

Thank you!

·
Registered
422 Posts
When I look at the reviews of speaker replacements at crutchfield they are all mixed. they all have some complaint about bass response not being enough but also praise about it being good. I wish there was a way to sample them instead of buying blind. I realize that others are buying for different cars, but not sure why such a disparity in opinions. Has anyone replaced the 4 speakers been satisfied without adding a sub?
I investigated this approach and decided it wasn't worth it. I measured the stock speakers as amazingly flat down to 50 Hz with usable extension down to 40 Hz. Short of a much larger speaker in a large enclosure it would be difficult to do better than that.

Note, I'm talking about frequency response at moderate SPL only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed a Kicker Key amp with 45 W RMS to 4 channels in my 2019 Kia Niro. Removing the faceplate for the stereo was a pain in the ass. I used lots of masking tape everywhere to not scratch anything and carefully worked away at it. Took me like 30-40 min to get the faceplate off. Then took it into a shop for them to do the wiring. I had them install the Kicker Key amp beneath the drivers seat and run the wires to the amp then back to the stock stereo. So now future wiring is fine underneath my seat and not behind the radio. I will never have to remove that face again. I also had the guy install a beefy power cable to the battery directly and also under the seat so I’m ready to go for a figure powered sub. Now things get incredibly loud at about 10% volume where before I would have to crank the volume. Sounds way better even with stock speakers as the amp has an auto EQ feature.

I’m still playing with the system and just installed Infiniti reference speakers in the front doors and added a bunch of Kil Mat. I don’t recommend Kil Mat because it kinda smells like tar to me instead of how my other Butyl based stuff smells (not like tar) and that worries me this ain’t 100% butyl. But I may be wrong.

The Kia Niro EV has some excellent doors that are already pretty quiet for road noise I found even before modification. The door panel is really easy to remove with just 2 screws and it pops off nicely. The inside door doesn’t have the gaping hole covered by plastic roll that most cars do. Instead the huge hole is covered in a hard plastic insert that covers everything and leaves no gaps. The speaker installs into that. You could remove that by removing bolts but I left it as is and just stuck my hand through the speaker cavity to install as much Kil Mat as I could inside the door. Kia already put some rubbery foam stuff at many of the joints where the sturdy bracing for the door meets the sheet metal. This helps reduce the transfer of vibrations and makes for a quieter door. So I didn’t even bother putting extruded butyl putty in those joints as Kia had that covered. I also could see with my phone and feel that there was some sound Deadener applied to the larger portions of the door already. I put way more and overlapped any Deadener that was already there.

Still gotta put my doors back together. I gotta figure out the polarity of the wiring before connecting speakers so I don’t screw that up.

I think it’s gonna be great. Nice premium sound drastically improved for what will be about $500-600.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want optimum sound, just replace the head unit... There's really no added benefit to keep the factory unit besides the "Hybrid" display feature.. which isn't all that useful, IMO.
That is a terrible idea. On newer vehicles it is basically never OK to replace a head unit. It will effect resale value and will probably end up looking like ****.
I highly suggest installing an amp like the Kicker Key that is small yet provides about twice the RMS of most 3rd party head units.
That being said...the car does function completely fine without the stock head unit as I drove around with it pulled out with no adverse effects.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts