Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Android Auto every time I drive and want to mount my phone and not have the cord obnoxiously in the way. I'm thinking of routing a longer cable from the center USB port under the glovebox and the up and across the very front of the dash up against the window until coming straight down to where I mount the phone. Using Android Auto I probably don't need the phone in such a position to where it's always viewable though.

Connectivity with Android Auto is what's most important. I have a Galaxy Note 10+ and it won't fit on the Qi charger in it's case or plugged in.

I've attached an image showing the assumed route with the blue dot being the phone mounting location.

Does anyone have any other examples? I do have one of those cupholder mounts and might do that, but it's not my first choice.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
There's no reason to mount the phone in such a visible location when using Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Everything is done using the car's display. And depending on locality, law enforcement might decide you're using your phone while in motion and that is illegal in some places. Since your phone won't fit in the cubby, why not put it inside the arm rest? I have to keep mine across my leg, or I always end up forgetting the phone in the car. But I could easily put it in the arm rest as well.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
No data inside armrest even if car is so equipped (mine isn't). Could only use that port for charging.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't referring to using the USB port in the armrest, merely as somewhere to put the phone besides atop the dash. His USB cable from the dash port would have to run to the armrest storage.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
The OP was interested in direct viewing of his phone screen. I think he just doesn't want the cord to dangle over the infotainment stuff. He should perhaps consider mounting on left side of the steering wheel. There you could mostly hide the cable routing by running it to the end of the dash underneath and up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What about using a vent holder on the left? vent holder link Then you could run the cord under the steering wheel area and barely notice it. It would also keep the phone from blocking the 10" screen.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
When using CarPlay or Android Auto, there's nothing to view of the phone screen. It's completely controlled via the infotainment screen of the car. So why put it on the dash?

·
Registered
744 Posts
When using CarPlay or Android Auto, there's nothing to view of the phone screen. It's completely controlled via the infotainment screen of the car. So why put it on the dash?
That's not entirely accurate. On my Pixel 2 i can still interact with the phone directly. Kind of defeats the purpose, but you can do it.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I interact with my phone many times on a drive. Sometimes something as simple as checking wind direction for my apparent high or low current mpg. Need gas? Got to check for best price. Check on OBD reader? Can't do that on the big screen. Email you've been waiting for? That doesn't work on Carplay either. Need to check on a scenic route rather than the one you are on? Almost impossible to do from the touch screen.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
That's not entirely accurate. On my Pixel 2 i can still interact with the phone directly. Kind of defeats the purpose, but you can do it.
True, you can do that with an iPhone as well. But you can't control anything on the infotainment screen with the phone, and in many locations even having the phone in your line of sight isn't legal.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
I interact with my phone many times on a drive. Sometimes something as simple as checking wind direction for my apparent high or low current mpg. Need gas? Got to check for best price. Check on OBD reader? Can't do that on the big screen. Email you've been waiting for? That doesn't work on Carplay either. Need to check on a scenic route rather than the one you are on? Almost impossible to do from the touch screen.
And everything you list is illegal to do as the driver of a moving car almost anywhere. If I even look at my government issued phone while driving, it's a federal offence, even in my own car on my own time. Just sayin...

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Not true at all. You can hold a paper map, I'd like to see them give me a ticket for holding an electronic map (which I do a lot on a bicycle). Typically, if it is in a holder (discussion topic), it is legal (hands free). Otherwise all those myriads of GPS device users are going to jail, along with anyone who interacts with the car's touch screen. Typical laws address texting, and making a call with the phone that is not hands free. Not a ban on touching phones.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Nope, some states say you can't use the phone while in motion, period. Doesn't apply to touch screens in the car, or to my knowledge something like a Garmin. So CarPlay/Android Auto is clear. They specifically target phones, as in it can't even be in your hand. Naturally, if it's down low enforcement would be difficult, but if it's up on top of the dash, it's pretty obvious.

·
Registered
200 Posts
CA is hands free only (so voice command is ok, but no touching). It can be mounted in sight, but has to be in specific locations. Also considered "driving while distracted" here is putting on make up, reading, eating... Anything that distracts you enough that your driving is erratic....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts