Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering if any one has experienced any issues with the battery in extreme temperatures? I live in Atlanta and will be moving to Phoenix for relocation. I have the hybrid version of the Niro 2018. I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I've never heard anything specific about the Niro, but it well known that batteries can suffer in the heat. The Niro with active air cooling will do better an a Leaf, but not as well as a car (usually only BEVs) that has liquid cooling. Potentially the Niro will turn on the AC by itself if it detects a hot battery to assist the air cooling fan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've only heard of issues on the low end of temperature, ie: winter in Canada or northern US plains. You shouldn't have any worries in Phoenix.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
you can also help your car out by putting in reflective sun shades for the front windshield and shades for the side windows. i found that with a reflective sun shade, my car is easily a good 10deg C cooler inside than if i had left it without anything. Also, I guess we should ask what colour your car is. If you went with a black car, then I'd ask the dealership.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I visit Tucson regularly with my PHEV and have had no summertime issues. The temp control app is great for turning the AC on before we get into the car so it's not blistering hot inside (allow plenty of time for the app to work because it takes a while for it to realize the doors are locked and let you into the temp section).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've only heard of issues on the low end of temperature, ie: winter in Canada or northern US plains. You shouldn't have any worries in Phoenix.
We had a milder than average winter here in winnipeg and we have a garage. But we still had 39 nights below _20 c and this hybrid niro always worked as well as any other car that I've ever had. The only negative is already well known and That's fuel economy, still the best car for me in that regard also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all,

I was wondering if any one has experienced any issues with the battery in extreme temperatures? I live in Atlanta and will be moving to Phoenix for relocation. I have the hybrid version of the Niro 2018. I appreciate any feedback.
I live south of Tucson. Phoenix is 120 miles north. It's a lot hotter up there. We almost never get up over 105. That is a summer cold spell in Phoenix area in June. ;)
We've had our 2018 Niro for 2 summers now, and no battery issues. We do keep it garaged when not in use.
Sun shades are a good idea, and I open the hatch a bit when I park in the sun. I acts llike a chimney.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

My wife and I live a few hours away in the CA Desert where the temps are typically 2 degrees higher/lower than PHX. We have a hybrid version like you for 2-years now and prior to that we had a Ford Cmax Plug in Hybrid. Never have we had issues with the hybrid batteries due to the heat. on the other hand, we also have a golf cart and a motorcycle and any battery maintenance (water/acid levels, trickle charging, etc.) should be maintained to help your battery last 2-3 (possibly 4-years).
All the best on your relocation!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh and as for window tinting, we have clear on our windows that blocks 99% of the UV on all our windows. It does help but the summer are still a furnace out here.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
51 Posts
Hello all,

Never heard of any problems with extreme weather on the battery. However you will have to maintenance your car more often like changing the oil more frequently as well as the filters. That’s what the owners manual states.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I live in Mesa AZ. I have a 2017 EX. This is my second summer. The only issue I found was a dip in the mpg. During the hot season (temps above 100) I get around 43-44 mpg. Otherwise, I am getting around 48 mpg. I'm thinking the batteries are running hotter, so the car compensates by reducing the demand on them. First summer mpg was lower. I started using the driver only setting on the AC, and other tactics to increase it. No other weather related issues.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Peak efficiency is reached around 80 to 85 degrees. Hotter or colder and you will get less. Dropping 10% because of AC and 100+ degree days sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
97 Posts
Peak efficiency is reached around 80 to 85 degrees. Hotter or colder and you will get less.
I'm curious what that statement is based on. Your measurements? Back in the day, when I ran economy runs and such, we were led to believe that cooler temperatures, and thus denser air, resulted in better economy. Plus many cars have ducting to bring outside air into the intake, rather than use hotter outside air. Note I'm considering the internal combustion engine only. But high temperatures aren't great for batteries either, I think.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I'm curious what that statement is based on. Your measurements? Back in the day, when I ran economy runs and such, we were led to believe that cooler temperatures, and thus denser air, resulted in better economy. Plus many cars have ducting to bring outside air into the intake, rather than use hotter outside air. Note I'm considering the internal combustion engine only. But high temperatures aren't great for batteries either, I think.
True for the engine, but the battery prefers to be warmer than that. In fact, EVs will charge at higher rates with warmer batteries, up to a limit. So for a hybrid, you'll get better efficiency with warmer temps than a standard ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I'm curious what that statement is based on. Your measurements?
The best source I found was by obsessive documenters on PriusChat. But other sources back it up, as does my own efficiency (haven't driven much over 90 degrees though). I've posted the link and an actual graph here, but darned if I find them. I've found the graph on PriusChat twice but it appears I didn't save the link or a copy of graph. Perhaps someone else can find that post for me. Just a month ago.

However, I did find an identical looking curve on Ecomodder. I don't think it is the same graph, but the poster is prolific on PriusChat as well.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 1.02.42 PM.png

Update, probably the same graph. The poster is B Wilson, a prolific poster and grapher. He used to be a pilot so was used to capturing similar data including temperature for flights.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I remember B. Wilson. He's a nice guy! He organized a tour back around 05 or so of the Georgetown, Ky. Toyota Factory. It was a real fun trip and the factory tour was fascinating.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I found another very similar mpg versus temperature graph on PriusChat by another owner: 11 months of data stated. The owner said he believed the drop at 80 degrees happens to be where he turns the AC on.
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 7.30.46 PM.png

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
97 Posts
Thanks for the information. Very interesting. Quite a variance at each temperature, but definitely a rise to 70-85 degrees, with a very slight drop after that. Who'd a thunk it?!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
B Wilson's graph has a substantial dip after 85 degrees. Not sure what his AC status was though. If he used AC, that 2003 Prius has a far less efficient AC than the Niro. He sure wrung out some substantial efficiency figures from his Gen 1 Prius!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts