Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm considering a Plug-In Niro. I'm on my 2nd BEV, currently at the end of my 2017 Chevy Bolt lease. In the BEV literature, forums, and conventional wisdom,, heat has minimal impact on performance, but significant impact on range, over time. Battery degradation over time is increased by prolonged exposure to higher temps. Owners of the original Nissan Leafs experienced this with their inadequately cooled air-cooled batteries. Does anyone with a 2018 Nioro plug-in have experience with range degradation over time in hot climates?

Ron

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
I'm considering a Plug-In Niro. I'm on my 2nd BEV, currently at the end of my 2017 Chevy Bolt lease. In the BEV literature, forums, and conventional wisdom,, heat has minimal impact on performance, but significant impact on range, over time. Battery degradation over time is increased by prolonged exposure to higher temps. Owners of the original Nissan Leafs experienced this with their inadequately cooled air-cooled batteries. Does anyone with a 2018 Nioro plug-in have experience with range degradation over time in hot climates?

Ron
The Niro has an active cooling system for the HV battery. It's not liquid cooled, as that would be overkill for a PHEV. But it does have forced air cooling. My Niro is certainly not a good example for range, as it's only a hair over 1 year old and 13,000 miles. But I've noticed no loss of range. And I constantly keep it charged to 100%.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts