Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 HEV here. I kept reading how everyone was saying that their MPG got better in warmer weather compared to winter time. Well, the opposite has happened with my Niro.

In the winter and early spring my Niro was averaging 52-58 mpg around town and 42-46 mpg on the highway.

Now that summer is really here now, city mpg has dropped considerably but highway mpg has stayed the same. City mpg has dropped from 52-58 to 42-46 mpg!!

My tire pressure is good at 37-38 psi. Got an oil change done last month and it did not change the mpg. It now has approximately 17,500 miles on it now after 7 months of ownership.

Now, I do always have the A/C maxed out at all times due to living in Texas with 100+ degree days, 70+ degree dew points, and my Niro is black as well.

So am I the only one who’s mileage has dropped during summer?

·
Registered
422 Posts
2018 HEV here. I kept reading how everyone was saying that their MPG got better in warmer weather compared to winter time. Well, the opposite has happened with my Niro.

In the winter and early spring my Niro was averaging 52-58 mpg around town and 42-46 mpg on the highway.

Now that summer is really here now, city mpg has dropped considerably but highway mpg has stayed the same. City mpg has dropped from 52-58 to 42-46 mpg!!

My tire pressure is good at 37-38 psi. Got an oil change done last month and it did not change the mpg. It now has approximately 17,500 miles on it now after 7 months of ownership.

Now, I do always have the A/C maxed out at all times due to living in Texas with 100+ degree days, 70+ degree dew points, and my Niro is black as well.

So am I the only one who’s mileage has dropped during summer?
FWIW

max ac consumes ~ 1500 watts

30mph driving consumes ~5000 watts, 70mph ~15000 watts

Max ac is ~ 30% hit on 30mph driving and ~10% hit on 70mph driving.

·
Registered
223 Posts
91CAVGT- when you are using A/C, do you put it on driver only if just you driving; and do you have the fan on max or near max speed? I have found that makes a difference in MPG over that used running on just driver at ~3 fan speed. When running like this, the MPG cost is not much, certainly less than the old belt driven A/C's. Maybe even less than running with windows open. I run mine nearly all the time in summer also, temps currently in upper 80's-low 90's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
91CAVGT- when you are using A/C, do you put it on driver only if just you driving; and do you have the fan on max or near max speed? I have found that makes a difference in MPG over that used running on just driver at ~3 fan speed. When running like this, the MPG cost is not much, certainly less than the old belt driven A/C's. Maybe even less than running with windows open. I run mine nearly all the time in summer also, temps currently in upper 80's-low 90's.
yes, driver only ac and 3 fan speed is 500w vs 1500w for max ac

·
Registered
223 Posts
Recirculate setting will reduce energy use.
I guess that's true in that it will make the air cooler so you can turn the fan lower, otherwise I don't know why it would reduce energy. The A/C comp pump is running at a set speed, if you have it running all the time it doesn't know if you have it on recirc or not. Except the fan works a little better when it's not pushing through a filter.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
AC should not be running after you reach set temperature - electrically driven by the way, it has its own motor - no belt. Recirculate means it will be off more. Or run at a slower speed if motor speed is adjustable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Any difference with the amplifier on or off? Just wondering because I have one. But I wouldn't trade it for mpg.

·
Registered
223 Posts
AC should not be running after you reach set temperature - electrically driven by the way, it has its own motor - no belt. Recirculate means it will be off more. Or run at a slower speed if motor speed is adjustable.
I don't run at auto temperature, because I've seen it put out warmer air to remain at set temp, and vice-versa for auto heat temp. I run mine all the way down to low, and adjust by fan speed. If you make an auto set temp, and it's near that point, it won't run any more efficiently by running warmer, because that mix is controlled at the heater core. The air compressor just knows run.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any difference with the amplifier on or off? Just wondering because I have one. But I wouldn't trade it for mpg.

Yes, there is a pretty big difference when I have the sub cranking up. I don’t know what difference it is, but it is enough of a difference that I can feel the car slow when a big bass note hits.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This morning I drove to work at 7 am and the car showed an outside temp of 82 degrees. So for the first time in a while I drove to work with my windows down. The mpg this morning averaged 62 mpg.

When I drove in the afternoon, I have the A/C maxed out with recirc on. It stays that way for the entire time I’m driving. Even if I set it to automatic, it never drops off of fully maxed out. In my opinion, with where I live, it seems like the A/C is sized a bit too small. But, during the summer it is normal to have temps into the low 100’s with dew points in the low 70’s. Not only that, but my car is black which makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You forgot your punch line - the afternoon drive with AC mpg!

Exterior color of the car doesn't impact the interior temperature as much as you think, although you can find evidence either way. More important is the amount of glass, and the tint. Dark interior colors likely make your interior hotter, but this too is controversial.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, here in Texas with the summer sun high in the sky temps inside a vehicle can reach 130+ degrees within an hour.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You forgot your punch line - the afternoon drive with AC mpg!

Exterior color of the car doesn't impact the interior temperature as much as you think, although you can find evidence either way. More important is the amount of glass, and the tint. Dark interior colors likely make your interior hotter, but this too is controversial.
When I drive back home I’ll reset the MPG display and will see what it gets. Right now where I’m at is 99 degrees. It will probably be a little over 100 when I drive home.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, there is a pretty big difference when I have the sub cranking up. I don’t know what difference it is, but it is enough of a difference that I can feel the car slow when a big bass note hits.
Hmmm I definitely don't notice anything like that. But was wondering if you cut the amp off and checked mpg opposed to amp on and the mpg. But I'm going to have my music so I don't really care if it drops mpg some if at all. I usually get the 46 mpg highway as its estimated so happy with that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not tracked MPG with the amp on or off. It just isn’t that high up on my list of concerns, and I too love my music!

So on my trip back home, ambient air temps started off at 102 degrees and got as high as 104 degrees!! That’s hot!! So the end MPG ended up being 37.8 mpg.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The curves on engine efficiency I've seen show a peak at near 85 degrees, dropping off with higher temperatures. AC use would further diminish the peak efficiency you saw in the morning at 82 degrees with no AC. Check also your starting and ending altitude - that can make a significant difference in each trip's efficiency. Assume you were keeping the same speed both ways of course. Starting battery charge also makes a difference.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah mines always all over the place last night driving home said 38mpg, some days it says 48mpg same trip same cruise speed and weather seems the same.�� But all highway miles. A/c on 1 bar some nights on 3 or more and get better mpg not sure what the difference is.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts