Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished this thing up over the weekend, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. At first, I thought I would only want to build the back of seat filler boards and leave the seats in, but once I saw that I couldn't sit up straight (I'm 6'3) I went all out and removed everything down to the frame. I was able to reuse existing hardware and threaded holes so the platform is secured to the frame of the car. It was a challenging project!

I used a 3/4 inch piece of pine plywood as the main base which is very sturdy and relatively lightweight. I went with hinges down the middle so I could access storage in the spare tire area and the seat cavities. It also let's me remove it as one piece. I won't be using a spare, but will have the tire repair kit and road side assistance. I also made window coverings with reflectix in the middle, and magnetic screen cover for the sunroof.

Overall the area is spacious offering lots of head room and length, at 6'3" from the back of the seats to the trunk lip. Lots of storage under the extender platforms and those listed above, plus the passenger seat. I won't be using the extender behind the driver seat very often, but if I had company I would use it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finished this thing up over the weekend, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. At first, I thought I would only want to build the back of seat filler boards and leave the seats in, but once I saw that I couldn't sit up straight (I'm 6'3) I went all out and removed everything down to the frame. I was able to reuse existing hardware and threaded holes so the platform is secured to the frame of the car. It was a challenging project!

I used a 3/4 inch piece of pine plywood as the main base which is very sturdy and relatively lightweight. I went with hinges down the middle so I could access storage in the spare tire area and the seat cavities. It also let's me remove it as one piece. I won't be using a spare, but will have the tire repair kit and road side assistance. I also made window coverings with reflectix in the middle, and magnetic screen cover for the sunroof.

Overall the area is spacious offering lots of head room and length, at 6'3" from the back of the seats to the trunk lip. Lots of storage under the extender platforms and those listed above, plus the passenger seat. I won't be using the extender behind the driver seat very often, but if I had company I would use it.
Well done looks good enough to sleep in. Great idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi. that looks amazing. I don't have a Niro yet, and so am not familiar enough to figure out what exactly was done. however, I'm sure you can answer my question. When I test drove a NIro, I was disappointed to see that the back seats didn't fold down completely flat. They folded down, but with an upward tilt. I'm only 5'8" so don't need as much length. Is it necessary for me to get rid of the back seats to acheive a flat sleeping surface? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The alternative is to raise the load floor to accommodate this upward tilt. That is space wasteful and will result in less comfort as you reduce headroom. There is an alternative where you could use a strap to pull the rear seats down and flat (by compressing the cushions) and remove when you need rear seat passengers.

But the best is to remove the rear seats and a the load floor plastic bits to create a new lower flat load that has increased headroom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is an alternative where you could use a strap to pull the rear seats down and flat (by compressing the cushions) and remove when you need rear seat passengers.

I like that idea! I'll have to see how well it works.. Thank you!

But the best is to remove the rear seats and a the load floor plastic bits to create a new lower flat load that has increased headroom.

Basically, what you did, right?

Thanks for your responses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts