Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's just been about a week since I got my Niro. I have driven around 150-160 miles on it so far.

Total numbers of miles on that vehicle is around 360. My lifetime mpg is just over 67 mpg, which I am pleased with. The first 200 miles were the ones put on at the dealer, test drives etc. so I had no control over it.

I drive around 45 miles on each trip to work (25 in the morning, and 20 in the evening, way back) Different routes because of the traffic (DC area!). In the am 25 mile run, I am getting around 60-65 mpg. On the way back, it's more trafficy, so it's slower and I am getting 75-80 mpg. so overall, I am quite pleased.

I wonder how much I would get, once the car is all broken in. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am going to guess that 67 MPG is an error of some kind.

That said, I hope you are getting that much actual. :)

What does the computed average display on the dash say?

Recommend go to Fuelly and start posting each fill up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh dang, I hope not!

The computed average is displaying around 65.4 mpg now, for a total of around 400 miles. I thought that was the lifetime average?

It also displays the mpg of each "trip", the way it's setup currently. I will change it to reset for each fuel refill, but for now, it shows the mpg for each trip. so that's how I was able to report the am/pm commute mpgs.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Then mine sucks :crying: at something like 51 MPG over 6000 + miles (Fuelly Posts it all). Posted as PAULRIDES.

I have never seen anything near 60MPG either Car Computed or Miles Driven divided by Gallon Computed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Then mine sucks :crying: at something like 51 MPG over 6000 + miles (Fuelly Posts it all). Posted as PAULRIDES.

I have never seen anything near 60MPG either Car Computed or Miles Driven divided by Gallon Computed.
It sounds the key here is to drive it as much as possible in a way that uses the electric motor almost exclusively.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have averaged right around 60 MPG (US) over my 6200 miles so far. I try and force it into EV mode as much as I can by lifting on the throttle and then when in EV mode, just easing onto the gas to keep it there. This works most of the time depending on current battery charge and when going down hill.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts

Paul- my car will show above 60MPG. for segments of driving during the day fairly regularly. But never for an entire tank.
I don't mess with trying to coax it into any mode, some efficiency driving is learned behavior now I guess, but I just drive it. I am happy to get anything above the EPA estimate. When people ask and I tell them I'm getting over 50MPG, I still get the jaw drops, especially when theyre not looking at a cheese wedge.

·
Registered
443 Posts
OK. As long as talking US Gallons, computing over time average of several tank fulls, not going by car computed, and not fudging (lying), I buy it. :)

I am not accusing anyone of lying, do wonder about errors in computing and what it is based on, EX: short trip computed by car means nothing really as far as average MPG over 1000 or more miles. I have seen computed displays from in upper 40s to 57 mpg.

What I see reported is most NIROs (except Touring) are in 51 / 52 up to 55 / 56 MPG. Likely more than one exception out there (one showing 60MPG posted here looks legitimate).

My wife is primary driver (her use car, I use my MC every chance I get and a Dodge Van for about 50 miles a month). I drive NIRO on trips and when we are together for an outing.

I don't worry too much about keeping it at EV (I do let off sometimes to let it cost on EV). I am sure wife does not, but she is very conservative driver.

Basically, we just drive and my guess is there would not be 1 or 2 MPG difference for us as we are not hot rod drivers in the first place.

Cost per year for our 12,000 miles is not a big issue when going from say 50 MPG (240 gallon) to 55 MPG (218 gallon) or at 60 MPG (200) = $44 or $80

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the EX and bought it in April. I have 6500 miles on it now with no problems at all except the ruff shifts at around 15 to 25 mph but no worse then the automatic in the Soul. My avg. mpg is 53.3 with a 47.4 low bucking a heavy wind for about 300 miles on one tank. Best was 55.8 and that was about half town and half interstate at 70 mph. I do a 10 mile trip into town in the morning and sometimes it will show that I got 70 plus mpg, don't know how close this is but it looks good anyway. The computer mpg on a tank and what I measure comes out very close every time..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Your averages sound reasonable

Could even be a trip of 10 mile trip average of 70 MPG (car computed) if that trip is mostly EV.

Only thing that counts in my book is average (miles divided by gallons - US Gallons) over 500 miles. Then combine when you get 2000 or 5000 see what that is (miles divided by gallons - US Gallons).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not exactly sure why you are not getting a good gas mileage. Did you have to do anything to make the display show in US mpg? I assume that if we bought the car in the US, it would show up in US mpg.

Also, maybe you are not that conservative of a driver as you think you are. I used to have a Honda Insight and the rating on it was 42 mpg, but over 90k miles, I averaged just under 50 mpg, and I tend to coast as much as possible. Try it and see what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts