Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new subwoofer and amp setup going. It is amazing at how loud it is. For reference, I have had 2 different sub setups that metered at 135 and 136 decibels. This one is louder! Here’s the setup:

Amp:

Down For Sound Shop JP8
Rated at 850 watts RMS at 1 ohm but has been shown on multiple amp tests to put out in excess of 1,000 watts.

Subwoofer:

Savard HiQ 12” dual voice coil, 2 ohm impedance per coil, 3” voice coil, conservatively rated at 1700 watts RMS

BOX:

Custom built by me. 2.5 cubic foot ported box tuned to 28 hz. The box is made of 3/4” MDF that is doubled up for 1 1/2” thickness on all sides where there is no internal bracing. Internally wired with oxygen free 8 gauge copper wire.

Here’s a video of it in action:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Awesome man. I can't take the loudness as I could in my 20's but I still need a sub back there makes the complete system sound better.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I tend to get a headache now if it is cranked up too loud for too long so I’m right there with you.

What is good to see is how well the voltage stays up with such a huge power draw. Granted, this is in an LX model that doesn’t have many electrical devices(no power seats, no heated seats, no driver aids, and a basic stereo) so I’m sure that helps

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
78 Posts
Your information on Draw for 1K is much appreciated. I was concerned about this and ended up giving up. My Niro is a DD for my Wife, so shes not as attached to loud clean audio as I am. I ended up just swaping the door speakers in the long run and avoiding boxes. I used draw almost as an excuse not to do it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
@[B] 91cavgt[/B] am new to the forum and from a tiny country in the Caribbean called Trinidad just like you i love that bass and have a Kia niro hybrid 2019 model would really love to get some advise on how to connect an amplifier looking at an Xfire 5 channel amp and using a DSP to convert the high factory deck inputs to RCA's and changing out those door speakers as well

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
334 Posts
Just out of curiosity What sort of hearing test results do you guys get when you have your hearing checked.

At our work we had annual hearing test and could be required to wear all sorts of hearing protection if hearing loss was detected even be forced to move to a lower paying job to get away from the high noise area at work.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@[B] 91cavgt[/B] am new to the forum and from a tiny country in the Caribbean called Trinidad just like you i love that bass and have a Kia niro hybrid 2019 model would really love to get some advise on how to connect an amplifier looking at an Xfire 5 channel amp and using a DSP to convert the high factory deck inputs to RCA's and changing out those door speakers as well

There are several threads on here that show with pictures how and where to connect power and ground for your amp. It all depends on if you have a HEV or a PHEV.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiosity What sort of hearing test results do you guys get when you have your hearing checked.

At our work we had annual hearing test and could be required to wear all sorts of hearing protection if hearing loss was detected even be forced to move to a lower paying job to get away from the high noise area at work.

It has been proven through a lot of studies that low frequencies do not hurt your hearing at high volume levels The same way that higher frequencies do.

I do have hearing loss caused by too many loud concerts and loud exhaust systems on cars. I’ve had vehicles where I had to wear hearing protection due to how loud the exhaust was inside the vehicle, otherwise I would have physical pain in my ears after just a few minutes.

My Niro on the other hand is close to, if not over 140 db at 45-47 hz. I can be in the car at this high volume level for 20 minutes straight and all that happens is I start to get a headache due to the vibration(some notes will start to blur your vision). Typically I do not do this.

In 2003 I had an SRT4 that I ended up putting a 3” dump exhaust on it. The drone inside the car was HORRENDOUS!!! It would physically hurt my ears, but I was young and dumb so I just drove fast everywhere. Drove a car from Texas to Ohio and back that had a dump exhaust under the car with no muffler. It too hurt. In 2013 I had a 160cc scooter that the muffler cracked in half. The shop pulled the broken part off and left the rest attached. It took a couple of weeks for the new exhaust to come in so I drove the scooter like this for those 2 weeks. You know your exhaust is loud when people on Harley Davidson motorcycles cringe and say your exhaust is too loud!!!

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
334 Posts
Part of the Work physical for our factory was a hearing test. They pay very well for our area so there is no lack of applicants and they can be selective in who they hire.

You would be shocked at the number of people - mostly young - who cannot pass the physical for hiring because of a failed hearing test.

It is sad because they are for the most part great people but their hearing is gone and the company won't hire them.

I guess I understand young guys who do that but I've seen 40 and 50 year olds who should certainly know better exposing themselves to loud noise risking their hearing.

Even the wildest rock and rollers alive wouldn't dream of going onstage without hearing protection for their own safety.

The hardest people to understand are the ones driving in congested areas or quiet subdivisions with stereos blasting to draw attention to themselves and impacting others.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
334 Posts
Here is an article on loud noise and its effects

Here were some points in the article in case it isn't accessible in a browser

What are the complications of noise-induced hearing loss?
Permanent hearing loss is the most serious complication of noise-induced hearing loss. Regularly being around loud noise can also cause:
  • High blood pressure
  • Increased heart rate
  • Upset stomach
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Irritability and increased tiredness
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Ringing or buzzing in the ears (tinnitus)
To each his own but once your hearing is gone it is gone forever.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh tinnitus! Yes, I deal with that one and have for a few years.

Now, if I’m going to a concert or to go shooting, I’ve got hearing protection. Even though I’ve already got hearing loss, I’m doing what I can to limit doing more damage.

As far as where I turn up the volume on my car, I agree completely!!! If I’m in a residential area, the volume does not go high at all. Most times I turn the sub all the way down. It’s not only about respect for others but also to try to avoid drawing unwanted attention from criminals!! The good news is the box will only fit through the hatch and it weighs about 100 pounds!! It’s HEAVY!!

Typically the only places where I really crank up the volume is on the highway or in commercial areas if I’m just driving through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts