Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Niro EX Premium (White / Lt. Gray)
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I'm setting out for an off-freeway drive from Kearney, NE back to Denver. For the first time ever, when selecting "Avoid Freeways" option, a pop up showed on the screen saying that although I selected that option, at least one freeway is included. In fact, the route is showing ALL freeway! There are at least two excellent non-freeway options on U.S. highways but it won't route using them. I do have UVO set up if that makes any difference but like I said, it has routed off-freeway in the past with no problem (although it never offers alternative options off-freeway, but just one which is fine). Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? I've cleared and re-entered the destination a few times to no avail. Also, a quick report on MPG. 80 mph takes a greater toll on mpg than it did with the Prius v. I'm lucky to keep it in the mid 30s. I'm guessing the CVT may have been a bit better at higher speeds in the Prius although I much prefer the Kia transmission. I was just a bit surprised, hence the desire to see more results on 65 mph roads today. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm surprised about your mpg. results vs. the Prius. I have just the opposite. The Niro does a little better than the Prius for me on the highway and I'm of the opinion that it's because of the Niro's transmission which I always thought makes (for lack of a better term) a direct contenction vs. the very slight amount of slippage you have with the Prius CVT. I don't have naviagation but I recommend Waze just use it on your phone. It has lots of options and always works great for me.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Your mpg issue might be based on prevailing winds which are usually westerly to NW - just the direction you went against. Also, temperatures were not summer yet, right?

The Prius V does not have a CVT. While subjectively you cannot tell the difference, it is really a planetary gear transmission. Which is more efficient. However, final drive ratio aside, it is not any more efficient than the Niro running in 6th gear. However, you were going 80 mph! Good chance that your battery discharged and you had to run in 5th gear with far less EV support than usual. Here there is a possible edge case for the Prius. Just like a CVT, the computer decides what "gear" or fraction thereof is best for demands. So compared to the Niro, it might be able to run in 5th and a quarter gear.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if the V could maintain 80 mph into a 20 mph wind, and tough for the Niro as well. Both cars claim similar coefficients of drag so that should be close to a push, but if you look at V versus Niro EPA ratings or Fuelly results, they are not particularly close. 41 versus 50 mpg respectfully EPA, about 4 mg less in real world Fuelly results or 37 versus 46 mpg. Results vary of course, my four season results every drop measured over 42,000 miles is 53 mpg. However, I set a self imposed speed limit of 65 mph, dropping to 35 mpg at 80 mph in cool to cold weather with a headwind seems totally credible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're absolutely right about running in 5th gear with the battery depleted! When I began to notice that was happening, I switched to Sport mode and upshifted to 6th gear. The instant MPG bar rose a bit for a while but the car was not always able to maintain the speed (especially on gradual inclines) and it was then that I confirmed the problem. I actually drove from eastern Iowa and it wasn't the temps because it was in the low 80s for the first day of the trip. But there were significant side winds and of course I was slowly moving up in elevation as well. The 10% ethanol fuels take a toll as well. In Iowa, you can pay about 20% more for non-ethanol gas but my guess is that I would probably see a 10% gain and that's about what I think I got when I did splurge for it. In general, this is not a happy 80 mph vehicle when it comes to economy. Generally I'm in no rush so I do get off of the interstates at least half of the time and I do prefer two lane roads. As for comparing this to the Prius v, , the Prius definitely felt more powerful but it came with a whining, noisy engine and the Niro at those higher speeds is quieter for sure. But, I LOVE this Niro compared to the Prius and would not consider going back. Anyway, it was a good long-haul experiment and I've learned a lot about the car. I learned more about the smart cruise control as well. First of all (and I've heard others say this), it is not for those who are hyper-milers or whatever you call those who are mostly focused on fuel economy. All it takes is someone to pull in front of you or depart from in front of you to get jolting responses from the Niro, including rapid acceleration and deceleration. I'm not really interested in putting it into standard cruise control mode although I know I can do that however it doesn't remember the setting and must be reset after starting the engine. But, I've learned when and where to use the SCC and when to anticipated better when I'm in conditions where it's best to cancel it and take control myself. Also, I found out today that if you hit resume it will not accelerate rapidly to the higher set speed as long you keep a little pressure on the accelerator to get up to speed at a slower pace. But, the second you take your foot off the gas pedal, you're off to the Niro Races and it accelerates like a bat out of **** to get to the programed speed for some unknown reason. I think there are 3 settings for the response, correct? I didn't notice much difference when changing those but I'll check it again.

As for the navigation, I've used Waze and Google among others but I want to use what Kia offers and the 10" screen is great, I think. I don't want to fumble with my phone and I don't care for Android Auto which requires a cable hook up and screen confirmations, not to mention data usage, etc. This is the first issue I've had with it and once I got away from the interstate it did finally route me correctly. It just acted like "You really want to go that way? You must be crazy!". Well, I am a bit crazy and perhaps the Niro will learn that about me as time goes by. ;-)

·
Registered
150 Posts
same experience; 80-90 I averaged 35 MPG but on one long stretch, averaging 70-ish got me 43MPG. My typical mix commuting I average 52MPG during warmer months. wildly differ depending on the driving speed. If i stay below 70, I can probably average upper 40s' but anything less than 80 on U.S hwys are difficult to do when the posted limits are 70-75.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I learned more about the smart cruise control as well. First of all (and I've heard others say this), it is not for those who are hyper-milers or whatever you call those who are mostly focused on fuel economy. All it takes is someone to pull in front of you or depart from in front of you to get jolting responses from the Niro, including rapid acceleration and deceleration. I'm not really interested in putting it into standard cruise control mode although I know I can do that however it doesn't remember the setting and must be reset after starting the engine. But, I've learned when and where to use the SCC and when to anticipated better when I'm in conditions where it's best to cancel it and take control myself. Also, I found out today that if you hit resume it will not accelerate rapidly to the higher set speed as long you keep a little pressure on the accelerator to get up to speed at a slower pace. But, the second you take your foot off the gas pedal, you're off to the Niro Races and it accelerates like a bat out of **** to get to the programed speed for some unknown reason. I think there are 3 settings for the response, correct? I didn't notice much difference when changing those but I'll check it again.
On a two lane road is the only place I use SCC and even then rarely - I'm so in the habit of immediately switching to standard that it seldom comes up.

So perhaps SCC resume is different than standard resume, but I will say resume acceleration is not predictable. I don't think resume will happen at all until you take your foot off the pedal, at least it doesn't for me. The 3 settings are for follow distance, not acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
So perhaps SCC resume is different than standard resume, but I will say resume acceleration is not predictable. I don't think resume will happen at all until you take your foot off the pedal, at least it doesn't for me. The 3 settings are for follow distance, not acceleration.
I find the same. If my foot is pressing at all on the accelerator, CC will not actually take over the throttle. You cannot be pressing on the throttle at all for CC to work. The steering wheel button sets the following distance, but I believe there is a setting within the vehicle settings in the central display that adjusts some sort of sensitivity for the CC.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, there's a setting under "Driving Assist" which I was referring to. There are 3 settings for SCC sensitivity which are Slow, Normal and Fast. If I remember correctly, the slow setting still seemed overly responsive to me. But, after reading some past posts about SCC, I'm not sure I'm thinking correctly about what the three settings are programmed to change. I was guessing that the slow setting would mean less aggressive braking and accelerating, but perhaps it means it's slower to respond with braking or accelerating but then, when it does respond, it will be more aggressive? Any thoughts on what these three settings are designed to affect? I'm enjoying learning from all of you and it's certainly keeping my brain firing on most, if not all cylinders!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I think slower to respond is the likely behavior. Seems like stupid behavior when a car cuts in front of you going much faster than you that the car brakes. I started wondering about that many years ago when I started to notice an apparent change in driver response. When I pull in front of a car going faster than they are (I just passed them, duh) and with a couple car spaces of clearance, the car now behind me would suddenly slow.

SCC is a pile of crap behaviors! Most of which are anti-efficiency. But luxurious for those in heavy freeway traffic as there SCC mimics normal slowing down and speeding up. In those situations, I still prefer standard and average the slow down and speed ups without being stuck on the bad driving behavior of the car directly in front. But few of my miles are in such situations today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Yticolev. To save me a bit of research, what is the method to disable the SCC? My first Google attempt didn't seem to show the answer clearly although I know I could dig into the manual and find it. By the way, the AEB system can also surprise me a bit although I'm glad to have that safety feature. You know when you're following a car that's turning right in front on you? I often coast as much as possible before applying the brakes as I'm closely monitoring the car ahead clearing the lane for me to proceed. Well, apparently I'm cutting it a bit too close because I've had several occasions when the AEB alarm sounds and recently one time when the brakes were applied when it sensed I was about to rear-end the vehicle (which of course, was not going to happen). Anyway, I guess I know the system is working but it's also just a touch of "anti-efficiency" behavior as well. It would probably behoove me to stop doing that since my response times will likely diminish as I age! ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts