Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. I'm the new owner a 2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium. I've been trying to update the navigation software. I went to the Kia site, then registered on the mapnsoft site, installed the navigation updater, downloaded the file to my hard drive then copied them on to an SD. All the files are in one main folder labeled NaU, then a secondary folder labeled 2018_20_Niro_Plug_in_Hybrid_USA . When but the card into the SD slot in the car, go the set up and click on update all I get is a message tell me it can't find any files. I've searched on this site, but can't seem to find a thread describing my difficulties. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much and I'm excited to join the Niro community,

Paul B.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
The files cannot be located in a sub-folder. The secondary folder you have must be at the root of the drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I should move the secondary folder out of the NaU folder, then delete the NaU folder?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
It shouldn't be required to delete the NaU folder, since it's empty. But no need to retain it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I attempted to install via SD card, and then USB to no avail. Just got a message that said “Insert the memory that contains the file and try again”.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
I believe cars with an SD card cannot be updated via USB. It has to be done using the SD card. It's been a while since I did mine, but it was with the SD card. I tried USB and it didn't work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a pic of the folders and files that are in that 2018_20_Niro_Plug_in_Hybrid_USA folder. I can show whats in other folders as well. It seems different than what I've seen other threads so that's a bit confusing to me. Thoughts?
Font Electronic device Screenshot Multimedia Computer

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
OK, I just found the SD card I used for my last update, and I see there is no folder at the root of the drive. Everything you have in that folder needs to be at the root of the card, no underlying folders.

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, UVO, EPB, 10"-AVN, Navi
126 Posts
It is after the small flap above the warning button (on my old MY2017 Niro, my actual MY2020 Niro does not have it, here it is done via USB):

Reactions: lafe005

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
The SD card is only on older models like mine. Starting in 2020, they did away with the SD card and any updates are done through the USB port in the front console.

Reactions: lafe005

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought KIA niro EX PHEV 2021 last week.
To my surprise, I dont find any navigation app in my car.
While I asked my dealer about this, they told me that it only comes in SX Touring trim in any KIA cars.

Can someone please confirm if this is true.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
That is correct. At least on the Kia US web site, only the PHEV EX Premium trim (the highest level) has navigation. However, your car should have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, so that is actually a better option than a factory nav. If you're concerned about being outside cell service, you can download offline maps for most navigation apps on either phone platform.

My '19 PHEV had the factory nav, and while it was decent, I still used Waze via CarPlay any time I needed a navigation tool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts