Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new owners of a 2020 Niro Plug-in. There are some outstanding questions about charging not explained by the dealership. We charged the vehicle overnight. The dash icon that had blue squares lined up in a row and white squares after them was showing the charge results. Why wasn’t there evidence of total charge (blue squares). There was also a charging screen that showed 98% charged. Maybe that’s what we needed to look at. There is a blinking light (red) that we see outside of the car, on the dash. Is that showing charge or is that a security system light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Owner here again...as longtime Prius plug-in owners we were used to seeing a battery icon on the screen showing how much all electric was left before the care switched to hybrid. Does our Niro plug-in have that? Will it run just on electric only until it changes over or will it switch from one to the other?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can only speak for my 2018 PHEV - the blinking red light is the security system light and, yes, the car will run in EV mode until the traction battery reaches a certain level and then it will switch to hybrid mode. I can't comment on the dash icon as it is different to mine but what I have noticed is the indicated range in EV mode drops from 58Km to 56Km as soon as the aircon is switched on.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
The dash of the 2020 differs from earlier years, so I couldn't comment on what you are seeing. Yes, there's a battery "gauge" that tracks range, not actual battery state of charge. When it reads zero, the range has dropped to that but the battery is actually at about 16-18%. The car reserves that amount to operate in hybrid mode, to provide boost if needed and have space for regen. It's also good for battery life to not run them completely flat. The actual battery SoC can be seen in the infotainment screen under the PHEV menu.

Yes, you can drive completely on electricity until you reach that zero range level. For mine, that usually about 30 miles, although the EPA range is only 26 (with HVAC off). You can see the difference with a fully charged battery, when your range shows 26 with HVAC off and immediately drops to 24 if you switch it on.

Yes, the blinking red light is part of the security system. When you plug the car in, there's a green light on the center of the dash, and it goes out when fully charged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm wary of using an inverter as I read the stories of the TX blizzard folks who melted their wiring due to the heat of the high current.
Would a USB Coffeemaker be a better choice here?

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
44 Posts
We are new owners of a 2020 Niro Plug-in. There are some outstanding questions about charging not explained by the dealership. We charged the vehicle overnight. The dash icon that had blue squares lined up in a row and white squares after them was showing the charge results. Why wasn’t there evidence of total charge (blue squares). There was also a charging screen that showed 98% charged. Maybe that’s what we needed to look at. There is a blinking light (red) that we see outside of the car, on the dash. Is that showing charge or is that a security system light?
I bought a 2020 Niro PHEV last August and had the same questions about the charging lights and the red light.
The red light in the center of the dash is the indicator that the security system is active.
Directly above the red light are three large green squares that will light up as the battery is being charged. Each light blinks until a set charge has been reached. When fully charged all three lights will be lit for a period of time.
The display you see on the drivers info screen may be different from mine. There are two different displays so you will need to consult the owners manual to determine which display you have and what the options are.
The center infotainment screen varies by option package. I have an EX Premium which comes with a 10" screen.
What trim package do you have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts