Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I love it, it says I'm getting 45mpg (I need to check what the car says against paper calculations.)

Now, they say it gets better mileage on city street vs Hwy streets. And I have 13 miles to/from work and home each day. I have 55/70 mph hwy I can take most of the way or 40/50 city streets, with some stop signs/lights. Both about the same time, if there's any kind of backup on the hwy. Which would get me better gas mileage? LOL

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'd say the 40/50 city streets, depending how you drive. If you accelerate smoothly, and anticipate slowdowns and stops, so you can coast. 40/50 MPH seems about the optimal speed to go into EV mode. You might do better with a steady 55MPH, but who does that? You mentioned 55/70.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DC region, 55 mph if the traffic is doing 70 is dangerous. Have to keep up with the flow, also have a fast lane exit coming and going.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Well, 60 then. I've driven extensively in DC, and half the fun on the Beltway is dodging those slow movers (I drove briskly to understate the style). Safe is within 10 miles of traffic speed, or so they say (I'm more used to 10 over than under historically).

The deal is that aerodynamic losses are greater at highway speed (the difference between 55 and 70 is dramatic). But regenerative braking cannot recapture all the losses from continued starts and stops. So just theoretically, you will probably do better at 55 on the beltway/95/66 et cetera.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just military transferred from DC to CA, and picked up a NIRO PHEV out here. I can say traffic here moves just as fast as DC does. Only caveat is the hills and elevation changes out here is more drastic. I avg 70mph with Cruise control, and get 42mpg on gas (trip home with elevation change , uphill) going to work with 22-miles avg all electric at hwy speed and gas I'm averaging 72mpg. cant complain there!

55-65mph would be ideal, but traffic will crush you in DC driving that slow...maybe at night you can try that. I say move with traffic or use adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have found the acc on the right side of the steering but can't figure out how to reset distance. Of course I've only had it for six wks.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have found the acc on the right side of the steering but can't figure out how to reset distance. Of course I've only had it for six wks.
Dedicated button for distance on the lower left - still right side of wheel. This button does double duty for switching to standard CC, just hold for a two seconds when CC is on, but not controlling the speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To Harry new Niro owner. The learning curve to operate our wonderful cars at high mileage conditions is something we all have to learn. The 600 + page owners manual can be a little daunting but most can learn it. The Adaptive Cruse Control not only helps with normal level driving but, is a big help with down hill regeneration. Enjoy new Niro.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have not found "adaptive cruise control" 7" of owners manual is rather daunting. LOL
OK this isn't easy to describe but I'll give it a shot. On the right side of the steering wheel there are 4 'outside' buttons'...
1. Top left--a pages/book looking symbol that runs you through all the menus.
2. Top right---cruise button. Turns cruise control off/on.
3. Bottom right--cancel....hopefully obvious.
4. Bottom left--automatic cruise control. Looks like a car and a lane sorta on the symbol.

There are two 'toggle' type switches/buttons on the 'inside' of this array.
1. Right one. Sets and/or adjusts up/down the mph for cruise.
2. Left one. Has the word 'ok' on it. This button has an up toggle, down toggle, or press it in for 'ok'...this is the button that is in general the reset button for stuff.

To get auto-cruise on and set distance.
1. Turn on cruise.
2. Set speed like normal.
3. Pre the bottom left button (item 4 above). I think you need to hold it in 2 seconds and it turns the auto cruise on. hold it in 2 seconds to shut off. Once it's 'on' then press and release toggles distance. 82, 106, 130, and 172 ft. press once it moves one, press again, and so on. You will see the cruise symbol on the dash get 'bars' on it as 1,2,3, and 4 bars which represent following distance. My personal preference is 1 bar.

SEPARATE FROM THIS: There is also a setting to change how quickly the auto-cruise reacts to changes in the vehicle in front of you. If you have a long distance set but sensitivity high you are going to be in for a whole bunch of unnecessary speed changes. Setting it to slow makes the car react slower which reduces unnecessary changes but obviously if you are following close is less than ideal. By default it is on 'medium. I find 1 bar of distance and 'medium' reaction time to be pretty good. This sensitivity setting is down in the bowels of the menu system if you are interested...not in the cruise buttons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts