Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is embarrassing but I'm a brand new 2019 PHEV owner and I'm not sure I'll be able to park it in my garage to charge it! My garage has a narrow 90" opening and a weirdly tilted ramp to get into it. I managed it once yesterday but it's super nerve-wracking and when I tried again in the evening when it was dark, I totally lost my nerve. Plus, the car bottoms out a bit at on the front and back edges.

So am I looking at charging only when I'm at work? Do I effectively just have a hybrid now?:(

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't charge mine in my garage either, because I have a project car semi-permanently taking up my only garage parking spot. And I can't charge at work because my employer won't let me.

My solution was to run a 50ft extension cord from one of my outdoor electrical outlets to me outdoor parking spot where I charge my car. Would you be able to do the same, perhaps?

Would folding in the side mirrors help it fit through the door opening better?

Could you use some pieces of wood to make the angle transition of the driveway a little less harsh?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The interwebs tell me it is only 71 inches wide. You have 19 inches i.e. a full foot and a half of width to work with. I assume you don't have a trim level with power folding mirrors but you can still just do it yourself. We did this on our minivan for years. When pulling up to your garage just roll the window down, grab the mirror and fold it in. It won't mess up the adjustment. Even with the mirrors out, you should have 3 or 4 inches on each side clear and that's assuming the 71 inches I quoted doesn't include mirrors.

After you pull in/out a few times you won't get freaked out again. But if nothing else just park in front of the garage. Chances are that there's a power outlet close enough for you to use the standard charger that comes with the car. Or perhaps you have an exterior electrical outlet?

·
Registered
249 Posts
And one other idea:

Park your car in the garage.
Hang 3 tennis balls on strings from the ceiling:
One in the front, which will bonk your windshield to let you know you've pulled in far enough.
And one on either side of the left/right front fenders, to let you know if you're centered. (you might have to attach those to the garage door itself, rather than the ceiling)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the 71" inches is without the mirrors, so even folded in, it's almost 80" wide. I have pulled in the mirrors but the trouble is, I need them to pull out! The big mirror idea might help. I don't think I'm handy enough to figure out the ramp business but maybe someone could take a look at it.

I can usually park directly in front of my house on the street so maybe a heavy duty extension cord but it feels weird to have that going across a public sidewalk.

I do think I might get more comfortable with it as time goes on, especially as I get more used to driving it but the consequences of not getting it right seem pretty steep!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Are you driving straight into your garage? Usually that is easier than reversing to get sight lines. That said, the backup camera has cool guidance lines that work really well - you may find that easier than going forward.

Mind you, the camera sensitivity is poor - if your brake lights are not on, pretty hard to see anything. I replaced the backup bulbs with LEDs and the difference is like night and day. Literally.

More about that and a picture here: https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/9-kia-niro-general-discussion/7013-reverse-light-bulb-change.html#post61259

1 - 7 of 7 Posts