Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Im picking up my kia niro ev (canada) tomorrow and Its my first ev so im very excited... so excited that i forgot to think about charging rates!! 馃槹

so heres my question: how do i go about setting the car up to only charge at 8amps with the level 1 charger? I wont have my level 2 charging system set up till end of fall early winter so ill be using level 1 charging however im not sure if my outside outlet can handle 12amps output so i was hoping to just default to 8amps. Ill also be using the level 2 public charger down the street once a week to top off before level 1 charging then using the DC fast charger when going on trips only (doesnt happen often at all!)

Registered
Hi everyone,

Im picking up my kia niro ev (canada) tomorrow and Its my first ev so im very excited... so excited that i forgot to think about charging rates!! 馃槹

so heres my question: how do i go about setting the car up to only charge at 8amps with the level 1 charger? I wont have my level 2 charging system set up till end of fall early winter so ill be using level 1 charging however im not sure if my outside outlet can handle 12amps output so i was hoping to just default to 8amps. Ill also be using the level 2 public charger down the street once a week to top off before level 1 charging then using the DC fast charger when going on trips only (doesnt happen often at all!)
Welcome! I'm not sure about the Level 1 unit that comes with the new EVs but for my '18 PHEV there is a button on the back of the control box that when pressed cycles through the charging modes.

Reactions: AstraEV

Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
I believe there's also a setting in the car's menu to limit the charge rate, but that might have been older models. I believe Jim is correct about a button on the back of the EVSE that comes with the car.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you're going to enjoy EV driving immensely. Even with my PHEV, I'm hooked. I want full EV when my lease is up!

Registered
Hi everyone,

Welcome to what in Europe we call the e-Niro. I live in France and have had mine since March 2019. I never bothered getting a level 2 for home. I did put a new discreet circuit in for charging the car, burying a 15 mil cable and setting up all new IP64 standard sockets in the old open sided barn that serves as a garage. I always charge using the 鈥榞ranny鈥 cable, we are retired so rarely need to charge up in a rush, typically charging once a week up to 80% overnight which serves us then for the week. The car charges at a max of 2.2 kW at home, so the most it pulls is 9.5 A @ 230v. Today I am offsetting that with about 5 amps from my 8 solar panels which helps a bit. We love the car and have been on trips to Switzerland, the UK and within France. Most I鈥檝e seen on a 50 Kw DC charger is 45 Kw from a low SOC. On higher level chargers did once see it pulling at 70 kW. So far, so good with 41,000 km on the clock. Enjoy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I had the vehicle for 2 weeks and one day now and have put over 1,400kms on it. (98% highway going 110-115km/hr) Ive been charging it with the level 1 charger that came with the vehicle at 12amps which did well the first week then the 2nd week i tried to see how long i could go in between charges without taking into consideration how long it would take to regain all that range on a level 1... i had to use 3 fast chargers (my vehicle pulled 41kwh at 2 and 21kw at a free dealership charger) in the last week...... i wont be making that mistake again. Will be topping up every night till i can get my level 2 charger installed! Even with waiting in my car to charge i never found it to be a big inconvenience since i just enjoyed that time eating a snack and reading. I now know i can get 2-3 chapters read in the time my car takes to get a 100-150kms Charge.

Registered
Sounds like you will be using the car more than the average driver and are a busy person so hope you don鈥檛 have to wait too long to be charging at what should be about 7.2Kw which I think is the limit when charging AC with the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts