Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just got my first EV and am really enjoying it. But I do have a several questions that I hope some one can help me with.
First, when charging, I know I have to unlock the doors to open the charge port cover. Do I also have to take off that main charge port cover (not the inner small black cover) to use a level 3 charger. If so, how do I do that? Also, can I lock the doors again after getting the charger attached, since I am uncomfortable leaving the car unlocked at a public charger.
Second, I have been driving in regen level 3 but see there is an auto mode for regen. Is there any benefit to being in auto mode instead of level 3?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,483 Posts
First, when charging, I know I have to unlock the doors to open the charge port cover. Do I also have to take off that main charge port cover (not the inner small black cover) to use a level 3 charger. If so, how do I do that?
The DC ports are covered by a piece of plastic that just pulls off. My PHEV didn't have it of course, but I believe it's attached to the car so it won't go flying. Still, keep an eye on it in case that attachment breaks. It does not need to be removed if you're only using AC charging (Level 1 or 2)
Also, can I lock the doors again after getting the charger attached, since I am uncomfortable leaving the car unlocked at a public charger.
Yes, once you've opened the charging port door, you can lock the car.
Second, I have been driving in regen level 3 but see there is an auto mode for regen. Is there any benefit to being in auto mode instead of level 3?
I run my Bolt in max regen mode (it's actually one pedal driving on that car) because I can control the regen simply by how hard I'm pressing on the "gas" pedal. If I want to slow gradually, I just lift off the throttle to achieve the desired slowing, and regen will be as much as possible for the level of deceleration. Faster slowing (harder regen), I just lift my foot more. In the Bolt, I rarely even touch the brake pedal, but the Niro still needs the brake applied to completely stop. Once you get used to controlling slowing/regen with the throttle, you'll probably leave it on the highest level at all times. I only turn mine off when I back into the garage, but that's only because it's rather steep from the street into the garage, and I want better control when backing.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DC ports are covered by a piece of plastic that just pulls off. My PHEV didn't have it of course, but I believe it's attached to the car so it won't go flying. Still, keep an eye on it in case that attachment breaks. It does not need to be removed if you're only using AC charging (Level 1 or 2)

Yes, once you've opened the charging port door, you can lock the car.

I run my Bolt in max regen mode (it's actually one pedal driving on that car) because I can control the regen simply by how hard I'm pressing on the "gas" pedal. If I want to slow gradually, I just lift off the throttle to achieve the desired slowing, and regen will be as much as possible for the level of deceleration. Faster slowing (harder regen), I just lift my foot more. In the Bolt, I rarely even touch the brake pedal, but the Niro still needs the brake applied to completely stop. Once you get used to controlling slowing/regen with the throttle, you'll probably leave it on the highest level at all times. I only turn mine off when I back into the garage, but that's only because it's rather steep from the street into the garage, and I want better control when backing.
Thanks for the quick and very helpful reply @atc98092!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I keep mine on regen 1 driving in Los Angeles, then switch to 2 or even 3 while going through the canyons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Once you get used to controlling slowing/regen with the throttle, you'll probably leave it on the highest level at all times.
Is there any disadvantage in leaving it on while driving (other than the limitation on coasting w/foot off accelerator)? My inclination is that it would provide some drag when driving at regular speed.

I use mine typically to slow for a roundabout or going down a hill but then turn it off when I reach the speed I want.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The regen level you set should be a combination of personal choice plus a healthy dose of reality. As KohanMike mentions above, I typically leave mine on Level 1 and might raise it to 2 or 3 when coasting downhill, depending on the grade and if there's traffic behind me. And I like to use the left paddle for braking some of the time. The "auto" regen mode's behavior just seems weird to me, so I leave that off.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,483 Posts
Is there any disadvantage in leaving it on while driving (other than the limitation on coasting w/foot off accelerator)? My inclination is that it would provide some drag when driving at regular speed.
No, there's no drag if you are pressing the accelerator to either maintain speed or accelerate. Regen will not be activated until the computer calculates you are beginning to slow. I've noticed in my Bolt I get the best range and amount of regen when driving in one-pedal mode, which has a reasonably strong level of regen. There is a paddle to increase the regen, which probably increases it by 30-50%, which is noticeable. But as you slow, regen becomes less and less. At freeway speeds I've seen basic regen at more than 50kW, without pulling the paddle or using the brake pedal. But by 30 MPH it's more like 25-30kW, and decreases as you slow. The paddle on the wheel does nothing below about 5 MPH. My Bolt will completely stop with regen, but the Niro will not. (EDIT: using the paddle will stop the EV without the brake pedal, but it's not considered one-pedal driving)

·
Registered
168 Posts
On my Niro EV, holding the left paddle will bring me to a complete stop from any speed*, and the car will remain stopped after releasing the paddle. Unless I know I might be dangerously close to running down the battery (rare), I don't drive for absolute maximum range, although I do still keep an eye on power consumption and use regen whenever possible.

* The car determines its own rate of stop, so I might need to release the paddle or apply the brakes. Kind of a game trying to determine where you'll actually come to rest, for instance, when coming to an intersection or crosswalk.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,483 Posts
On my Niro EV, holding the left paddle will bring me to a complete stop from any speed*
True, but it's still not considered one-pedal driving. Since you need to use the paddle to stop it, doesn't fit the definition, and they don't market it as such. I've edited my post to clarify that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts