Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a notice that the Kia Access app replaces the Uvo eco app. I'm guessing it replaces the regular Uvo app too. Not seeing much of a difference in what it does, although the layout is nicer.

·
Super Moderator
797 Posts
Just got a notice that the Kia Access app replaces the Uvo eco app. I'm guessing it replaces the regular Uvo app too. Not seeing much of a difference in what it does, although the layout is nicer.
I have both on my phone, and I agree they seem to have identical functionality. I just wish it didn't take so long to sync with the car. And why doesn't it automatically refresh when the app first loads? Seems silly to load the app, then have to hit refresh to actually see current information. 45 seconds to refresh is annoyingly slow. Plus, after the refresh the app says my car is home in my garage. No, it's in my work parking lot 17 miles away. :eek: I have to refresh the location separately to get it accurate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have both on my phone, and I agree they seem to have identical functionality. I just wish it didn't take so long to sync with the car. And why doesn't it automatically refresh when the app first loads? Seems silly to load the app, then have to hit refresh to actually see current information. 45 seconds to refresh is annoyingly slow. Plus, after the refresh the app says my car is home in my garage. No, it's in my work parking lot 17 miles away. :eek: I have to refresh the location separately to get it accurate.
Hi Niro riders :)

That's funny, because I came to the same conclusions:
- still slow to refresh when you click on "Sync"
- one thing I realized is that even if sync shows "2 days ago" the battery level seems to be the accurate, like if the car 'pushes' the data on start and stop of the car itself and the app does not reflect this update's time and date.
- car sit at home before a "second" refresh to get its real location which should have been actualized on the first "Sync"
- nothing really new from UVO Eco app
- still missing the most important, the MPG per trips ;)

And by the way, congrats act98092 for your new moderator's level up ;)
Christophe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Really wish the app was more interactive and quicker. The time it takes, one can simply go to the car.

Is there a range limit on the UVO/Kia app?

BTW, My car is currently parked in a basement parking lot with no cellular signal. But the UVO can still connect to it. It's less than 100m (328') from where my desk is. That seems pretty good!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Really wish the app was more interactive and quicker. The time it takes, one can simply go to the car.

BTW, My car is currently parked in a basement parking lot with no cellular signal. But the UVO can still connect to it. It's less than 100m (328') from where my desk is. That seems pretty good!
I think the delay is due to the fact that the car relies on a cellular modem for comms. I'm not sure of the details but I assume that when you request an update on the status the app pushes a notification (likely via SMS) to the car (either directly or via the Kia UVO servers) and then has to wait for a reply. If the car is in a spot with limited signal that can take a while. Plus, I'm not sure if the modem in the car is on all the time or if it only wakes periodically to check for new data. Either or both would help explain the long wait. The good thing is that SMS communications can work even with very limited signal strength (as evidenced by the fact that it usually works even in areas with poor coverage like garages). Also, I assume that the modem in the car has a better antenna than the one in your mobile phone. The car's modem is not nearly as space constrained as the one in your hand.

The fact that the system is cellular based means that the only range limit is based on cell coverage wherever the car is located.

·
Super Moderator
797 Posts

It's using a cellular connection, so whatever carrier they use appears to have a signal where you are parked. The app doesn't connect to the car directly, it connects to the Kia server and the server connects to the car via cellular.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Just keep in mind that our Canadian UVO is not the same then the owners in the USA. 2 different system, 2 different app. Had mine since december 2018, and at first, they had to give me a "normal car" UVO because Kia Canada was not ready for the EV's config in the app. I just got mine updated with the charge and others EV options.

You could be in China and unlock the doors of your car in your driveway. ;)

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
It's using a cellular connection, so whatever carrier they use appears to have a signal where you are parked. The app doesn't connect to the car directly, it connects to the Kia server and the server connects to the car via cellular.
To be more specific, In Canada, all 2019 PHEV uses a G2 cell connection and EV's a LTE connection. (a little bit faster). But i dont know about the USA versions!?

·
Super Moderator
797 Posts
To be more specific, In Canada, all 2019 PHEV uses a G2 cell connection and EV's a LTE connection. (a little bit faster). But i dont know about the USA versions!?
My radio head unit has an LTE icon in the top bar, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my cell phone connection. So it appears the PHEV is also using an LTE connection. I just have no idea whose network they use: AT&T, Verizon, or some other.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kia guy here, Kia is transitioning everyone to one app instead of the four we have currently, that way we can concentrate our software guys into a single project. As we have more remote enabled vehicles in the future, we'll definitely have new features.

·
Super Moderator
797 Posts
Kia guy here, Kia is transitioning everyone to one app instead of the four we have currently, that way we can concentrate our software guys into a single project. As we have more remote enabled vehicles in the future, we'll definitely have new features.
My 2 bits: make the connection between the app and the car much faster. I timed it at over a minute to refresh the status. Add more detailed information about EV driving: kWh consumed, charging rate, all those little details that EV drivers obsess over, that the car itself doesn't provide. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2 bits: make the connection between the app and the car much faster. I timed it at over a minute to refresh the status. Add more detailed information about EV driving: kWh consumed, charging rate, all those little details that EV drivers obsess over, that the car itself doesn't provide. /forum/images/KiaNiroForum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

I have been sharing all of those little tidbits with the Kia UVO team myself, because I want those features, too, though it would be really helpful if you could also share that same info with them. Let me give you their email address so that you can ask for additional features. The more requests they get, the more likely they are to include a new feature. Network latency is a big bugaboo, so that particular issue may vary depending on your phone's carrier, cell signal in your area, network congestion, and other restraints.

You can email the UVO team at [email protected].

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I just timed reaction time on mine, and I got 5 seconds to refresh, 12 seconds to stop a charge, 21 seconds to start a charge, 11 seconds to unlock a door, 6 to lock it, and 13 seconds to locate it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
[
My 2 bits: make the connection between the app and the car much faster. I timed it at over a minute to refresh the status. /forum/images/KiaNiroForum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Are you using the Kia Access with UVO Link app? If so, have you deleted the UVO Eco app from your phone?

·
Super Moderator
797 Posts
Are you using the Kia Access with UVO Link app? If so, have you deleted the UVO Eco app from your phone?
I've used both apps, and both are still on my phone. Haven't removed the Eco app yet.

Just fired up Access, and it took about ten seconds to open and "refresh". The problem is, it isn't refreshed. It says my doors are unlocked (wrong), charge at 82% (right) and location was wrong. I just hit the refresh button, and it took 50 seconds. Now shows doors locked, but the location is still wrong. I'm connected to my work WiFi, so no cellular latency. While my government network has to travel across country to our Internet access point in OKC, it's still fast with low latency. I see the same level of performance when using my home WiFi, so I can't blame Verizon for the slow updates. The only way to get the location accurate is to refresh it specifically on the Locations tab, which took another 40 seconds. It should refresh everything when the app first opens.

I'll email the address you provided and provide additional information.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You will still have latency no matter what your phone is connected to. Kia will have a very low cost data plan for their in car cellular modem (which may not even be LTE) and low priority for the carrier. It may not even be on unless the car is on, so the data may be old, perhaps from the last time you polled the data from your phone app.

My HEV doesn't have built in nav, so I doubt it has an active modem. Everything has to be done by the phone, including the only real feature I was briefly able to access, the parking minder.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd love it to automatically refresh when opened too. I'll email and let them know.

·
Super Moderator
797 Posts
You will still have latency no matter what your phone is connected to. Kia will have a very low cost data plan for their in car cellular modem (which may not even be LTE) and low priority for the carrier. It may not even be on unless the car is on, so the data may be old, perhaps from the last time you polled the data from your phone app.
At least for the 2019 PHEV, the onboard modem is LTE, as the display indicates. I'm sure it's a very low cost plan, but the amount if data we're talking here is very small, so even a slow network speed shouldn't cause the glacial update speeds I see.

Yes, all networks have latency, but unless you're using satellite Internet, it's still going to be well under 100 ms. My home network Internet latency usually tests under 20 ms. Since I can't ping outside our network firewall, I can't say for sure what sort of latency we have here, but I doubt it's much more than my home, if any. After all, this is a government facility. :)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
There is also the question of polling. I doubt the car modem is continuously connected even when the car is on (or being charged for the PHEV), but rather it may do what some email servers still do, updates every five minutes only. Michael Jones is having some super responsiveness but that doesn't seem to be anyone else's experience. Yup, I'm a skeptic. But prepared to be wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts