Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Niro 2019
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my 2019 Niro off at the dealership after hearing a strange noise while braking. This noise comes from what I believe the front left driver's side tire. I finally was able to capture the noise on my phone and will be showing the mechanic at my Kia dealership. I figured that I would post the noise here in hope's to maybe finding someone who has had the same issue. I was told that it could be the ABS system but this noise happens when I'm light braking and hard braking. No indicators light up on the dash and honestly I have braked hard in other cars and I know what it's like to engage the ABS. Anyways, please let me know what you guys think. The sound is at the 3 second spot and i can only describe it as a scraping noise.Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2019 Niro is doing the same thing, also sounds like it's coming from the left side. Did you get any answers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just in case someone else gets dismissed by the dealership like I did the first couple times I brought it in, it’s Tsb tra 092 and nhtsa id number 10185035.

I was told they have to look at the lot number on the dual clutch to see if they have to replace it or the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just in case someone else gets dismissed by the dealership like I did the first couple times I brought it in, it’s Tsb tra 092 and nhtsa id number 10185035.

I was told they have to look at the lot number on the dual clutch to see if they have to replace it or the transmission.
Finally, some information I can work with. Thanks for sharing this! The first time I told the dealership I was told "it's just regenerative brakes, you'll get used to it" (but it was NOT doing that for the first 3,000 miles or so. The second time I was told to brake hard a few times to scrape off any build up. That obviously hasn't worked either. Next I'll bring them the info. you just shared. This is why I love forums!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dropped my 2019 Niro off at the dealership after hearing a strange noise while braking. This noise comes from what I believe the front left driver's side tire. I finally was able to capture the noise on my phone and will be showing the mechanic at my Kia dealership. I figured that I would post the noise here in hope's to maybe finding someone who has had the same issue. I was told that it could be the ABS system but this noise happens when I'm light braking and hard braking. No indicators light up on the dash and honestly I have braked hard in other cars and I know what it's like to engage the ABS. Anyways, please let me know what you guys think. The sound is at the 3 second spot and i can only describe it as a scraping noise.Thanks
So glad you were able to record it. I think there will be more and more of us reporting this until something is finally done about it. It's clearly not normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally, some information I can work with. Thanks for sharing this! The first time I told the dealership I was told "it's just regenerative brakes, you'll get used to it" (but it was NOT doing that for the first 3,000 miles or so. The second time I was told to brake hard a few times to scrape off any build up. That obviously hasn't worked either. Next I'll bring them the info. you just shared. This is why I love forums!:)
yep. The first time I brought it in, I was told that the noise I’m hearing was “normal hybrid car sounds when stopping” and that they “didn’t hear any noise when braking”. The next time I went, I insisted that the tech ride with me so I could point it out. He heard it and he told me it was normal regen brake noises and he went as far as it say that if he had another one on the lot with similar mileage, it would make that noise too. The guy that runs that office, seemed more concerned and decided they’d contact kia. I went home and found the tsb myself and called them later that afternoon to confirm it. I drop it off on Feb 1 and will update what they find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yep. The first time I brought it in, I was told that the noise I’m hearing was “normal hybrid car sounds when stopping” and that they “didn’t hear any noise when braking”. The next time I went, I insisted that the tech ride with me so I could point it out. He heard it and he told me it was normal regen brake noises and he went as far as it say that if he had another one on the lot with similar mileage, it would make that noise too. The guy that runs that office, seemed more concerned and decided they’d contact kia. I went home and found the tsb myself and called them later that afternoon to confirm it. I drop it off on Feb 1 and will update what they find.
I printed out the tsb to bring with me, because the person I spoke with on the phone tried to say there are no active bulletins for that vehicle. (sigh) I also had to contact 3 dealerships after finding out the first two don't even have a mechanic certified in the hybrids on staff right now! My appointment is Feb 8. I will report back as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They told me they would have to look for a lot number on the dual clutch to see if it needed to be replaced. They also said that the transmission might need to be replaced. After looking, the lot number I had fell into the ones they were replacing and they say the transmission is fine. I pick it up Friday (the work was completed today, but I work in another city) and we will see!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picked up and it seems to be okay. Noise is gone, but I am still apprehensive. I did a walk around/ checked the inside for any “accidents” glad I did as they did not put the panels under the back seat and the ones accessed under the hatch back on. Like at all. Just laying there in the floorboard, wires exposed. I hope your experience is better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They told me they would have to look for a lot number on the dual clutch to see if it needed to be replaced. They also said that the transmission might need to be replaced. After looking, the lot number I had fell into the ones they were replacing and they say the transmission is fine. I pick it up Friday (the work was completed today, but I work in another city) and we will see!
What did they end up doing to fix this? I am noticing the same noise at ~8000 miles.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 2019
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our 2019 Niro is doing the same thing, also sounds like it's coming from the left side. Did you get any answers?
I will be scheduling a service appointment and bringing the service bulletin with me. I was dismissed about the noise and I was told it's normal for the type of brakes. I knew this wasnt the case because the noise came about out of nowhere.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 2019
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In case anyone else comes across this, I found a direct link to the PDF for the TSB for it.

Thank you so much for sharing. I will be scheduling a service appointment and I will be giving them the handout. I've been driving the car for the past 6 months with the noise and I knew it wasnt normal. I was told it's "just how the brakes are." I'm glad I will have a chance to get it fixed

·
Registered
Kia Niro 2019
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the same experience and my husband had to drive with the tech and point it out. Somehow they didnt hear it the first time they test drove it themselves :poop: anyways thank you for sharing the bulletin. I will be scheduling a service appointment this week and sharing the bulletin with them. I will update as well. I havent looked back at the forum since the dealership told me and my husband it was completely normal and I accepted that to be truth. I'm glad that you discovered the bulletin! I absolutely hate the grinding noise and knew it wasnt normal!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Grinding or scraping noise? Scraping is almost always some corrosion on the brake disks. Generally heard better on the left side as that is the side you are sitting on.

The TSB linked above is completely unrelated to slowing or braking - a grinding noise at around 35 mph related to a defective transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing. I will be scheduling a service appointment and I will be giving them the handout. I've been driving the car for the past 6 months with the noise and I knew it wasnt normal. I was told it's "just how the brakes are." I'm glad I will have a chance to get it fixed
No problem :)

My Nero has been at the shop for a little over a week. They called me a day after I dropped it off to tell me that yes, the Tab did apply to my car as suspected and they will be replacing the clutch pack.

They estimated about 3 weeks to do the job because the clutch pack isn't something they normally stock and it ships from overseas. Secondly, it takes a decent amount of time, and they only have one person who is certified at that dealer to do the work. They did give me a loaner which was very nice and have provided me updates along the way.

Sidenote: I owned a VW passat TDI prior to the nero which also had a DSG. DSG transmissions are basically a manual (standard) transmission with a mechatronics system that automatically engages and disengages the clutch(s) as needed. This is amazing that they used such a transmission in the Nero because they increase MPG as well as smooth the acceleration. The only issue with DSG transmissions is that the clutch pack is a "wear item" much like in a standard transmission. The key though with this TSB is that it should not be "worn" at only 7000-10000 miles unless the clutch material, or the springs are faulty and not applying the right amount of pressure which could lead to premature wear. Obviously there is a revision that fixes these issues and that is what the TSB is all about. That said... Don't be surprised if at around 150k-200k miles the clutch pack needs to be replaced as a wear and tear item. The best thing you can do to extend its life is flush / change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles religiously. It helps to prevent breakdown of the clutch.

Anyway hope this all helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Grinding or scraping noise? Scraping is almost always some corrosion on the brake disks. Generally heard better on the left side as that is the side you are sitting on.

The TSB linked above is completely unrelated to slowing or braking - a grinding noise at around 35 mph related to a defective transmission.
Yes, it's not the normal "scraping" sound rusty / wet / worn brakes would make. There is a video posted in this thread with the exact sound.

To clarify the TSB only applies if you hear it while slowing down, and you hear the grinding / scraping noise at approx 30-35 MPH as that is the downshift between 3rd and second gear IIRC. It's not a defective "transmission" but a defective clutch.

If you're hearing scraping or grinding at any other point, for instance when doing 10-20 mph or at high speeds slowing down. Or you feel vibration, it's likely your brakes and you should get them checked but not as part of the TSB.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts