Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Jim here. Proud owner of a Niro LX, just 10 days old. It will be replacing my '05 Jetta Wagon TDI as my daily driver. Should be interesting. I drive a about 2,000 vertical feet one way commuting. That tends to charge up the battery to just about full going down the hill.

First tank got 43 mpg with 399 mi. Pretty good. The TDI averaged 38 to 40 mpg.

In general, the Niro compares pretty similar to the Jetta. Similar interior volume and real world mileage, but the passenger compartment is noticeably roomier where it counts. Handling of the Niro is very nice. More body roll than the Jetta, but it holds the corners well; so well, it kind of scared me. The acceleration is quite a bit better than the Jetta and the Niro climbs the foothills very well. Got to already try it in the snow and, even with these OEM tires, it did ok; stability control was even put to use. Love having the sport mode option for times when I want to have fun. Sport mode really changes the car to the fun side and it helps to satisfy my desire for a manual transmission. I am hoping for a towing OK and spec from Kia; keeping the TDI at the moment for times when I need to haul something requiring my 4'x8' lightweight trailer.

This is my first hybrid that I am drive routinely; wife has a '03 Prius, so I understand the ins and outs. I must say that have all the control data on what effects the mileage might just turn me into a hypermiler. I am getting obsessed with getting a full battery in the morning and maintaining the charge on the other 3/4 of the commute. I love slowing down and braking because of the charging. Obsessed.

Picture is of the week old Niro after a April snowstorm here in the Rockies.

Have fun everyone,

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
There is a towing package available (supposedly) in some markets, but it has to come equipped with it. Larger brakes and radiator is my understanding. That is difficult to retrofit for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the tow capabilities is a bummer. I can live well without AWD, but seriously no towing? I wonder if I could tow with a Prius?

As far as snow handling, I think the vehicle handles well in all conditions, so it should behave nicely in the snow. It did go up and down the driveway seen in the photo without a complaint. We had about 6 in. of sloppy spring snow on the driveway that the Prius had already smooshed down some. Used the Niro to packed about another 50% of the driveway. It has about an inch more of ground clearance than my Jetta, so that helps. For winter I will be putting on snow tires because the "all season" energy saving tires can not compete with winter tires in actual snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts