Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
that looks great! still out of my price range.
Hi there, Boognish. Is it the box that’s too expensive, or the cross bars? (Or both?)

I already have a roof box, but need the cross bars. I just started looking into options and the OEM bars seem to be really expensive, and I’m seeing a lot of ~$100 no-name brands…which might be good enough? Does there seem to be a consensus on good / inexpensive options for the cross bars?

If they are easy enough to remove / install, I’m not too concerned about additional drag, so low profile isn’t a requirement. Max load of 200 lbs would be nice.

Anyone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there, Boognish. Is it the box that’s too expensive, or the cross bars? (Or both?)

I already have a roof box, but need the cross bars. I just started looking into options and the OEM bars seem to be really expensive, and I’m seeing a lot of ~$100 no-name brands…which might be good enough? Does there seem to be a consensus on good / inexpensive options for the cross bars?

If they are easy enough to remove / install, I’m not too concerned about additional drag, so low profile isn’t a requirement. Max load of 200 lbs would be nice.

Anyone?
I ordered the OEM ones because I heard they are made by Thule. Don't quote me yet. I'll update when they arrive. I believe they are rated at 207lbs each. Their connection appearance to the flush rails appears cleaner in photos; will see how I feel about it structurally.

I ordered the two pack for under 300 online; I ended up finding them on amazon prime and the free returns typically makes it better than ordering elsewhere, especially when spending too much money too fast. I ordered a used scratched one on amazon for under 100.

I ordered a Trustmade RTT from Tractor supply to put on it.I am looking at some ways to make the rack 'slidable' so that it will not overhang the windshield when driving but be able to slide forward for full access to the boot. looking at different systems to make it quick-release as the alternate; front runner seems to have the best one i have seen but its like 350 a set, and i would need two sets...
I am hoping tractor supply will match the price on opticsplanet.com that i found at $1400 vs $2100.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV Deep Cerulean Blue
109 Posts
I was able to get an OEM Jeep Compass cross bar and feet set made by Thule off craigslist and purchased a 4076 Thule fit kit (one of the last ones) from an online retailer. The crossbars are actually the Thule Wingbar Evo 118 (like the OP's but black), and the feet are unmarked but are the Thule Rapid Podium 460r feet (the OP's are the Flush Rail Evo). The Thule 4076 fitkit seem to be rarer than hen's teeth. The feet and crossbars for the Jeep Compass are identical to the ones for the Niro--the Jeep fit kit needed to be replaced with the 4076 fit kit. The crossbar set up is rock solid and looks great and cost almost a third of new retail price!

For those wanting to go the Thule route I would recommend looking at the Flush Rail Evo feet (looks like Volvo used them in some of their recent vintage cross bars) and the 6076 fit kit (available if you look hard enough).

Just took a drive with just the crossbars and feet--starting at 25 mph I started hearing discordant melodic sounds--a lot more pleasant than the howling from square cross bars, but still irritating. I will be taking them off and only have them on the car when schlepping stuff like SUPs.

Edit: I figured out that the exposed channel on the underside of the crossbars we’re the culprit, so I covered them with some black Gorilla tape and got rid of the melodic sounds—now just have distant rushing sound.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV Deep Cerulean Blue
109 Posts
I ordered the OEM ones because I heard they are made by Thule. Don't quote me yet. I'll update when they arrive. I believe they are rated at 207lbs each. Their connection appearance to the flush rails appears cleaner in photos; will see how I feel about it structurally.

I ordered the two pack for under 300 online; I ended up finding them on amazon prime and the free returns typically makes it better than ordering elsewhere, especially when spending too much money too fast. I ordered a used scratched one on amazon for under 100.
Did you have a chance to try out the crossbars yet? How do they look in person? Do they look like they are made by Thule? Can you post photos?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts